[comp.sys.apple2] Rumours of a new GS

wizard@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Mike Moler) (06/16/91)

I saw today (cant reveal the source) an advertisement brochure from APPLE
comp corp. This brocure shows a blurp of the new IIgs that comes in a kit
form with Hypercard, a HD, a superdrive ( which will be required to support
system 6) and 2 megs min. I just hope all the other wishes will come to play,
speed out of the box, better graphic support, IBM MAC file readability.

It may be that Apple is looking at some of there mistakes in the past and are
willing to fix them.

Also was a mention of Apples four entry level computers. They are the
Apple //e, Apple IIgs, Macintosh LC (they are going to shove this joke down
the publics throat) and the Macintosh classic. It looks like the II line will
be back for a while.

Also are roumours that the Apples will be attacking the market in the fasion
that the IBM clones have. Away from the expensive dealers and into the retail
market. The only drawback will be no dealer support (as if we have had any
lately anyway).

So lets get on with Kansasfest and see what the fall is going to bring us in
time for our Christmas stockings.

Who knows some rumours have been known to come true.

Oh Yeah. This brochure was targeted at Educators that have the means to make
large scale purchases for their schools. Not the general public as of yet.

----
ProLine:  wizard@pro-odyssey
Internet: wizard@pro-odyssey.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!wizard
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!wizard@nosc.mil

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun16.111606.15538@crash.cts.com> wizard@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Mike Moler) writes:
>I saw today (cant reveal the source) an advertisement brochure from APPLE
>comp corp. This brocure shows a blurp of the new IIgs that comes in a kit
>form with Hypercard, a HD, a superdrive ( which will be required to support
>system 6) and 2 megs min. I just hope all the other wishes will come to play,
>speed out of the box, better graphic support, IBM MAC file readability.
>
>It may be that Apple is looking at some of there mistakes in the past and are
>willing to fix them.

To be quite frank, these rumours are simply more cruel items that do
nothing to further users' loyalty to Apple. Had Apple wanted to do what
you are suggesting they could have given a statement of direction. Life
is too short to wait around for Apple's marketing wizards to play their
little tricks.At least in this case, Apple has lost all credibility at
both the high and low end of the micro world. I hope these rumours are
true, but I somehow doubt that they'll make a difference. The rest of
the world has moved on over the past little while. To a longtime Apple/Mac
user, I must tell you I'm fed up with Apple's lack of sensistivity to
their (ex) user base. Their policy of not commenting on future directions
just won't work in today's market. When they should have been coming out
with faster inexpensive Mac's, they were pushing Classic's and LC's. When
they should have had an inexpensive GS, they simply kept throwing crumbs.
In fact, Puette has stated variations on a theme of no new AppleII's and
the GS is classified as an AppleII. Simply look at where the software
developers are moving to, and you will realize that it would take wonders
to bring them over to the GS, even if development of Mac and GS programs
took few resources.

The GS is a really nice computer. There have been other nice computers
that slipped through the cracks. The HP Integral was years before its
time. Interesting that it was made by a company where Puette was before
moving on to Apple. The IPC was quite unique( but not PC compatible). It
did not fit into what the corporate world wanted and HP axed it.I would
be very surprised if the same fate did not await the GS.

Philip McDunnough
Professor of Statistics
University of Toronto
[my opinions,...]

rsopicki@pro-amber.cts.com (System Administrator) (06/18/91)

That sounds great! Maybe there is hope for us yet.
----
ProLine:  rsopicki@pro-amber
Internet: rsopicki@pro-amber.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-amber!rsopicki