[comp.sys.apple2] POSTSCIPT AND AWGS

ISSLTC@NUSVM.BITNET (Lim Thye Chean) (06/17/91)

Hi, Thye Chean here.

After reading about 10 to 20 messages I receive or in the net, it seems
that there are some faults on the PostScript file that might prevents
fonts from coming out correctly. But it is ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE as far as
I am concerned. I tried it this morning with a 2 page sample document
produced from AWGS page layout module. Using Times 12, 2 bit-mapped
graphics, I print it to PostScript, convert it to Mac, send it to SendPS
program, and the result is fantastic.

Test it. I don't think I will want to buy an ImageWriter now. Anyway,
I 'owned' 2 PS/2 70 series (one on Window 3.0 and one on AIX) and
occasionally a Mac IIx on my workplace, so I don't need an Laser printer.

Thanks for all the people for making my GS a usable working machine!
And for the GS users who have a Mac and Laser at work place, try it! Your
GS can subsitute the Mac.

                      *** Apple IIGS Forever ***

    If I could turn back the clock, I would still buy an Apple IIGS.
                      Contact me at ISSLTC@NUSVM

       Lim Thye Chean - Lim is my surname. My name is Thye Chean.

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (06/17/91)

In article <9106170136.AA11408@apple.com> ISSLTC@NUSVM.BITNET (Lim Thye Chean) writes:

[more re saving a Postcript file from AWGS and then printing it]

For what it is worth, I will typically do this all the time not to
a printer(via SendPS2.0), but to a NeXT screen. It seems to work from
most GS/OS applications I've tried, including Platinum Paint.It's really
odd seeeing a picture drawn on the GS come up on the NeXT's screen, but
it does! I might point out however that the NeXT complains there are
errors in the Postscript files, but proceeds anyway.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (06/17/91)

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:

>it does! I might point out however that the NeXT complains there are
>errors in the Postscript files, but proceeds anyway.

Probably Laserwriter-specific stuff that isn't part of the PostScript standard.
If it were a real error then a Laserwriter would refuse to print the document
at all -- one really annoying thing about Laserwriters when trying to run
PostScript programs of your own on them.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) (06/18/91)

ISSLTC@NUSVM.BITNET (Lim Thye Chean) writes:

> Hi, Thye Chean here.
>
> After reading about 10 to 20 messages I receive or in the net, it seems
> that there are some faults on the PostScript file that might prevents
> fonts from coming out correctly. But it is ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE as far as
> I am concerned. I tried it this morning with a 2 page sample document
> produced from AWGS page layout module. Using Times 12, 2 bit-mapped
> graphics, I print it to PostScript, convert it to Mac, send it to SendPS
> program, and the result is fantastic.

    You might have taken some of those messages a little bit out of
context.  There _are_ some inconsistencies with the GS/OS LaserWriter
driver, and they prevent it from printing out certain fonts (I don't
remember off-hand what they are).  Times is a typeface which _does_ work as
advertised, as do Helvetica, Avant Garde, Courier, Palatino and a few
others.  I have screen fonts for about 20 of Adobe's PostScript fonts, and
if I want to print to a LaserWriter, I generally stick to the fonts I
mentioned above.