[comp.sys.apple2] Rom3

u9050728@cs.uow.edu.au (Shane Kelvin Richards) (06/18/91)

	A question reguard legalities. A few have mentioned about throwing
ROM3 Chips in a ROM1 GS via a card. And, Matt and Andy have cautioned us
(correctly) about how the ROM3 Chips are NOT sold seperately. But what
about the situation (like my own), where I own 2 GS's. One is a older
ROM1 and the second is a ROM3. Am I legally entitled to copy my ROM3 and
insert them (using the modification) into my older GS.

--
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Shane Richards

In article <1991Jun18.034721.17665@cs.uow.edu.au> u9050728@cs.uow.edu.au (Shane Kelvin Richards) writes:
>	A question reguard legalities. A few have mentioned about throwing
>ROM3 Chips in a ROM1 GS via a card. And, Matt and Andy have cautioned us
>(correctly) about how the ROM3 Chips are NOT sold seperately. But what
>about the situation (like my own), where I own 2 GS's. One is a older
>ROM1 and the second is a ROM3. Am I legally entitled to copy my ROM3 and
>insert them (using the modification) into my older GS.

	I am very very inclined to give a no answer to that question, although
I can't think of reasons.

	However, you DEFINITELY could not sell that "ROM1" GS with the copied
ROM 03 ROMs in it.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|

stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Anthony J. Stuckey) (06/18/91)

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>In article <1991Jun18.034721.17665@cs.uow.edu.au> u9050728@cs.uow.edu.au (Shane Kelvin Richards) writes:
>>	A question reguard legalities. A few have mentioned about throwing
>>ROM3 Chips in a ROM1 GS via a card. And, Matt and Andy have cautioned us
>>(correctly) about how the ROM3 Chips are NOT sold seperately. But what
>>about the situation (like my own), where I own 2 GS's. One is a older
>>ROM1 and the second is a ROM3. Am I legally entitled to copy my ROM3 and
>>insert them (using the modification) into my older GS.
>	I am very very inclined to give a no answer to that question, although
>I can't think of reasons.

I would assume this to be ROM upgrade, and subject to whatever Apple's
policies are.  I see _no_ difference between copying the roms yourself
and doing this, and getting the proper channel stuff from  Apple.
*other people disagree with me on this, I know, I have argued with them in the
past.

>	However, you DEFINITELY could not sell that "ROM1" GS with the copied
>ROM 03 ROMs in it.

Seconded.  pristine stating is often the only legal way to deal with these
--
Anthony J. Stuckey
stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

chiu@ucsee.Berkeley.EDU (James Chiu) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun18.054454.24122@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Anthony J. Stuckey) writes:
>unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>>In article <1991Jun18.034721.17665@cs.uow.edu.au> u9050728@cs.uow.edu.au (Shane Kelvin Richards) writes:
>>>	A question reguard legalities. A few have mentioned about throwing
>>>ROM3 Chips in a ROM1 GS via a card. And, Matt and Andy have cautioned us
>>>(correctly) about how the ROM3 Chips are NOT sold seperately. But what
>>>about the situation (like my own), where I own 2 GS's. One is a older
>>>ROM1 and the second is a ROM3. Am I legally entitled to copy my ROM3 and
>>>insert them (using the modification) into my older GS.
>>	I am very very inclined to give a no answer to that question, although
>>I can't think of reasons.

I fear that I'll have to agree; Given that ROM is essentially software on
chip, it follows that there can only be a single copy operating on a single
computer at any one time, under ordinary software licensing agreements.
As much as I would like to say that 'since Apple provides no ROM upgrade
AT ALL it is ok...', laws governing this matter says otherwise.

>I would assume this to be ROM upgrade, and subject to whatever Apple's
>policies are.  I see _no_ difference between copying the roms yourself
>and doing this, and getting the proper channel stuff from  Apple.
>*other people disagree with me on this, I know, I have argued with them in the
>past.
>
>>	However, you DEFINITELY could not sell that "ROM1" GS with the copied
>>ROM 03 ROMs in it.
>
>Seconded.  pristine stating is often the only legal way to deal with these

Agreed.

>--
>Anthony J. Stuckey
>stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

-jc

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun18.034721.17665@cs.uow.edu.au> u9050728@cs.uow.edu.au (Shane Kelvin Richards) writes:
>Am I legally entitled to copy my ROM3 and ...

COPYright means ...

acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (albert chin) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.034721.17665@cs.uow.edu.au> u9050728@cs.uow.edu.au (Shane Kelvin Richards) writes:
}
}	A question reguard legalities. A few have mentioned about throwing
}ROM3 Chips in a ROM1 GS via a card. And, Matt and Andy have cautioned us
}(correctly) about how the ROM3 Chips are NOT sold seperately. But what
}about the situation (like my own), where I own 2 GS's. One is a older
}ROM1 and the second is a ROM3. Am I legally entitled to copy my ROM3 and
}insert them (using the modification) into my older GS.
}
}
}--
}+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
}Shane Richards
}u9050728@cs.uow.edu.au

and just why not. *you* own both machines. there should be absolutely
nothing prohibiting you from using either any way you want. now, i think
what matt and andy are saying is that you cannot sell the ROM's you have.

just think about it. you buy x from company 1 and y from company 2. does
it make any sense that the law prohibits you from hacking x to look like y,
just so long as *only you* use this hack (feel free to say how you did it).

don't you remember the commerical, "hack all you want, we'll make more." :)

albert