[comp.sys.apple2] Accellerators, CPU's, 8 bits, and MORE!!!

warren.e@pro-beagle.cts.com (Warren Ernst) (06/16/91)

OK, I have an enhanced //e with a TransWarp I. You know, the one that has a
ton of little chips, some dips, and it accelleraltes it all to 3.6 MHz. On
the board is a 65c02 brought up to 3.6 MHz, as well as 256k RAM.
Apparently, when you boot up with it, it copies all the ROM into its fast
RAM, and things get run from there.

NOW...I just got a 65816 at 2.9 MHz from a GS friend who put in a Transwarp
GS and thought, HEY, now I can use the 16 part of Merlin 16! GREAT!

Except, I'm not sure where I should put the thing, the motherboard or the
cpu on the Transwarp. Well, I tried putting it on the TW, and it didn't
explode, and Merlin 16 works fine, so I guess technically I've reached a
solution, but this raises other questions:

1. How fast is my machine REALLY going now?
2. What does the CPU on the motherboard REALLY do, since replacing
        the one of the TW is now makes it respond to 16 bit programs?
3. Is this ultimatly good for my TW? My computer?
4. If the machine is only going 2.9 MHz, should I just plug it into the
        motherboard, take out the Transwarp, and, like, maybe sell the TW?

-just curious
-Warr
/===============================++========================================\
| Warren Ernst                  || & This is called an ampersand.         |
|  warren.e@pro-Beagle.cts.com  || @ This is called an at sign.           |
|  wernst@ucsd.edu              || * This is called an asterisk.          |
|                     GEnie too || ] This is called a square bracket.     |
+-------------------------------+| ) This is called a parenthesis.        |
|1HOME:INVERSE2X=RND(1)*24+1:VTA|| # This is called a pound sign.         |
|BX:HTABX:?X;:HTAB26-X:?X;:GOTO2|| ^ This is called a little pointy thing.|
\===============================++========================================/

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) (06/19/91)

warren.e@pro-beagle.cts.com (Warren Ernst) writes:

>OK, I have an enhanced //e with a TransWarp I. You know, the one that has a
>ton of little chips, some dips, and it accelleraltes it all to 3.6 MHz. On
>the board is a 65c02 brought up to 3.6 MHz, as well as 256k RAM.
>Apparently, when you boot up with it, it copies all the ROM into its fast
>RAM, and things get run from there.

>NOW...I just got a 65816 at 2.9 MHz from a GS friend who put in a Transwarp
>GS and thought, HEY, now I can use the 16 part of Merlin 16! GREAT!

>Except, I'm not sure where I should put the thing, the motherboard or the
>cpu on the Transwarp. Well, I tried putting it on the TW, and it didn't
>explode, and Merlin 16 works fine, so I guess technically I've reached a
>solution, but this raises other questions:

>1. How fast is my machine REALLY going now?

  3.6MHz.  The clock crystal on the Transwarp determines how fast the
processor goes.  Since you didn't change that, it's still 3.6MHz.

>2. What does the CPU on the motherboard REALLY do, since replacing
>        the one of the TW is now makes it respond to 16 bit programs?

  It's disabled when the Transwarp is installed.

>3. Is this ultimatly good for my TW? My computer?

  If it didn't immediately blow up, you should be okay.  There's nothing
that could happen 'over time'.

>4. If the machine is only going 2.9 MHz, should I just plug it into the
>        motherboard, take out the Transwarp, and, like, maybe sell the TW?

  If you were to do that, it would run only at 1MHz, because that's how
fast the clock on the motherboard runs.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               |  "Twenty seven faces- with their eyes turned to
Graduated!/Comp Engineering |    the sky. I have got a camera, and an airtight

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (06/19/91)

In article <34326.apple.net@pro-beagle> warren.e@pro-beagle.cts.com (Warren Ernst) writes:
>Well, I tried putting it on the TW, and it didn't explode, ...

You were undeservedly lucky.

>1. How fast is my machine REALLY going now?

Same speed as before.