[comp.sys.apple2] Appleworks GS bug?

nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) (12/04/90)

I was recently using the spreadsheet function in Appleworks GS
and I found something that was kind of wierd.

I have a column with the formula =Sum(a1...g1)
                                 =Sum(b1...g2)

				 =Sum(b9...g9)

ok, and some of the columns appear with read zeros with parens around them
and some appear with black zeros with no parens around them.
my question is, is there such a thing as -0 and +0,
or is this a bug.

Thanks
nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (12/05/90)

In article <NAGENDRA.90Dec3181427@bucsf.bu.edu> nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) writes:
>my question is, is there such a thing as -0 and +0,

In IEEE floating-point, such as is used by Apple's SANE tools, there is
a distinction between +0 and -0.  Yes, it's stupid.

tribby@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (David Tribby) (12/06/90)

nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) writes...
> ok, and some of the columns appear with read zeros with parens around them
> and some appear with black zeros with no parens around them.
> my question is, is there such a thing as -0 and +0,
> or is this a bug.
Perhaps you have set formatting to a particular number of decimal points,
and the result is a negative number too small to be expressed. For example,
if you print 2 decimal points and the value is -0.004, it would be printed
as a red -.00, wouldn't it?

-- Dave Tribby

lexter@pro-abilink.cts.com (Sam Robertson) (12/17/90)

And there is also a difference between 32767 and 32768.  32767 is positive and
+32768 is really -32767

Just a little 2's complement for fun!

sam
Sam Robertson                                        Pro-Abilink 300/1200/2400
1357 Santos                                                   Sysop (Saw)
Abilene, Texas 79605                                         (915)673-6856
(915)673-4145

Proline:  Lexter@Pro-Abilink         INET: Lexter@Pro-Abilink.cts.com
UUCP:     Crash!pro-abilink!lexter   ARPA: Crash!pro-abilink!lexter@nosc.mil
               BitNet:  Lexter%pro-abilink.cts.com@nosc.mil
                  "You don't have to HIDEAWAY!" -Erasure

jpenne@ee.ualberta.ca (Jerry Penner) (12/20/90)

In article <11410.apple.info@pro-abilink> lexter@pro-abilink.cts.com (Sam Robertson) writes:

>And there is also a difference between 32767 and 32768.  32767 is positive and
>+32768 is really -32767
>
>Just a little 2's complement for fun!

Uh oh.  32768 = -32768 = $8000  	-32767 = $8001

Have fun with the XOR's.

--
-------------
    Jerry Penner	alberta!bode!jpenne	Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

mcgurrin@MWUNIX.MITRE.ORG (06/19/91)

I have been trying to work with the page layout module of Appleworks GS and
have come across an annoying but.  I have cut and paste text from the word
processing module (single space, with left and right justification).  Once
I've put it in the page layout, I've tried to add tabs to some lines of text.  U
Usually this works fine, but occasionally, when I hit the tab key, the first
few characters of the previous line of text suddenly appear at the end of the
previous line!  Characters from this line also appear outside of any text box.

This is with a two page document, no other documents opened, 1.25 Meg of
RAM.