[comp.sys.apple2] Icons

crew@pro-harvest.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) (08/22/90)

>        You can change the ICONS....just make a new icon file....don't use
the
>files they give you or else it will do nasty things to you....just make a new
>icon file and it should work ok...it checks the finder icon file last so it
>will check you new file first and find the icons in there and put them
up...Add message
Subject: ICONS
Network message: enter text, end with "." on a new line.

:
   I have edited the System 5.0.2 Finder icons (have a disk ][ drive in place
of the 5.25" standard drive, etc.), and have had no "nasty things" happen.
What should I expect?
 ________________________                          _________________________
|                         ProLine: crew@pro-harvest                         |
|                    Internet: crew@pro-harvest.cts.com                     |
|                       UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!crew                        |
|                  ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!crew@nosc.mil                    |
|_______________ BITNET: crew%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil _________________|

khorster@pro-graphics.cts.com (Karl Horster) (08/24/90)

        What I have had happen that the icons I edited didn't work, and came
out as "Other" file icons.  I have Iconed 1.3 and it said in the docs that you
should not tamper with the Finder. icons because other things will happen...I
haven't personally had anything really bad happen...but I didn't try either...

 ProLine: khorster@pro-graphics
    UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!khorster
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!khorster@nosc.mil
Internet: khorster@pro-graphics.cts.com

radagast@bluemoon.uucp (Tim Schmidt) (06/17/91)

My icons have suddenly stopped working, and I have no idea why.  Now,
every file and folder on the desktop has the same icon: the standard one
with filetype 00, auxtype 00, and name *.  Is there any explanation for
this??  All I did was edit one of the icons, using IconEd.  Everything
saved fine, but when I got back to the finder, all the icons were screwed.
The only icons that DO work are when the icon is in the same folder as the
file it represents.  Ftype.main and ftype.aux seem to be ok.. I even
recopied them from my original 5.04 system disk.

  Thanks for any help...

      Tim

radagast@bluemoon.uucp
radagast@bluemoon
radagast%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com

 This is from
     radagast@bluemoon.uucp
     radagast%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com
who doesn't have their own obnoxious signature yet

taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) (06/18/91)

radagast@bluemoon.uucp (Tim Schmidt) writes:

> My icons have suddenly stopped working, and I have no idea why.  Now,
> every file and folder on the desktop has the same icon: the standard one
> with filetype 00, auxtype 00, and name *.  Is there any explanation for
> this??  All I did was edit one of the icons, using IconEd.  Everything

    From my experience, there seems to be an upper limit on the number of
icons you can stuff into a single Finder icon file (somewhere around 200 or
so, file size was about 60K...)  After that, the Finder stops recognizing
the extra icons.  That might be your problem, although it shouldn't prevent
the Finder from reading in the rest of the icons.  Try splitting your files
up into smaller chunks.

greenegg@gacvx2.gac.edu (Greg S. Johnson) (06/18/91)

In article <0muN41w164w@bluemoon.uucp>, radagast@bluemoon.uucp (Tim Schmidt) writes:
> My icons have suddenly stopped working, and I have no idea why.  Now,
> every file and folder on the desktop has the same icon: the standard one
> with filetype 00, auxtype 00, and name *.  Is there any explanation for
> this??  All I did was edit one of the icons, using IconEd.  Everything
> saved fine, but when I got back to the finder, all the icons were screwed.
> The only icons that DO work are when the icon is in the same folder as the
> file it represents.  Ftype.main and ftype.aux seem to be ok..

Tim,

Which icon did you edit, and what did you change? The GS Finder is very
sensitive to "mistakes" in the icon files.

--Paul Elseth

PYC121@URIACC.BITNET (Andy Kress) (06/18/91)

Somebody says...I dont have the original message...

>> My icons have suddenly stopped working, and I have no idea why.  Now,
>> every file and folder on the desktop has the same icon: the standard one
>> with filetype 00, auxtype 00, and name *.  Is there any explanation for
>> this??  All I did was edit one of the icons, using IconEd.  Everything

    You may have moved the anything else icon to the begining of the Finder
 Icons file.  A very bad thing to do.  I once moved it to the middle of the
 file and about half my icons showed up as that icon.  Try moving the anything
 else icon to the end of the file and that will probably fix it.  Good luck!

                                       Andy Kress
                                       PYC121 AT URIACC.URI.EDU

             Apple II:  The power to take over the world!

taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) (06/19/91)

   I'm a bit confused here...

> From: greenegg@gacvx2.gac.edu (Greg S. Johnson)
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
> Subject: Re: Icons
> Date: 18 Jun 91 00:18:28 GMT

... but the signature reads:

> --Paul Elseth

    So Paul, if you're reading this, got any new improvements to IconEd (or
 any other nifty GS stuff, for that matter?)  I've got FasText already...

PYC121@URIACC.BITNET (Andy Kress) writes:

>     You may have moved the anything else icon to the begining of the Finder
>  Icons file.  A very bad thing to do.  I once moved it to the middle of the
>  file and about half my icons showed up as that icon.  Try moving the anythin
>  else icon to the end of the file and that will probably fix it.  Good luck!

    Of course... the obvious solution which I overlooked.  I keep my
Finder.Icons file trimmed down to a bare minimum (device icons, a few
generic file icons, and that's it).  All new icons go into a different file,
so there's no chance of messing up my basic icons.  What "rules" does the
Finder follow when determining what icon to use?  I assume a specific
filename has primary consideration, but if a wildcard icon comes before a
named icon of the same filetype/auxtype, then the wildcard takes precedence.
Same goes for icons with a specific file/auxtype vs. those with the generic
$00/$0000 types.  Does someone have a definite answer?

kenfair@flammulated.rice.edu (Kenneth Jason Fair) (06/20/91)

In article <JiNR42w162w@micor.ocunix.on.ca> taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) writes:

>    Of course... the obvious solution which I overlooked.  I keep my
>Finder.Icons file trimmed down to a bare minimum (device icons, a few
>generic file icons, and that's it).  All new icons go into a different file,
>so there's no chance of messing up my basic icons.  What "rules" does the
>Finder follow when determining what icon to use?  I assume a specific
>filename has primary consideration, but if a wildcard icon comes before a
>named icon of the same filetype/auxtype, then the wildcard takes precedence.
>Same goes for icons with a specific file/auxtype vs. those with the generic
>$00/$0000 types.  Does someone have a definite answer?

	GS/OS searches through the ICONS directory for icon files (I
forget the filetype - ICN?) in the order in which they are cataloged.
To change this order, you'll have to use something like Cat Doctor or
Copy II Plus.  (The Finder lists them in alphabetical order, not
catalog order.)
	Then in each icon file, it loads the icons in the order in
which they are saved.  This is the only consideration for the Finder.
	For example, if you have two icons that could apply to the
same file, the one listed first in the icon file that applies will be
used.  This is why the generic wildcard icon should be at the end of
the Finder.Icons file.  In general, wildcard icons should be placed
after specific file icons in icon files.

Ken

--
KEN FAIR - Rice Physics  #  kenfair@owlnet.rice.edu  #  AOL: Mr Toaster
DISCLAIMER:  I don't need one, so this is a non-disclaimer disclaimer.