[comp.sys.apple2] WHAT SCSI TO BUY??

georged@pro-harvest.cts.com (George Dybowski) (05/28/91)

I need an expert opinion, what SCSI card to buy, the Apple High Speed or
the Ramfast SCSI card??  I have a Laser128EX and DMA is not compatible with
the Apple SCSI card, so I assume that the Ramfast will also be not
compatible. But is it worth it to still get the Ramfast or stay with the
Apple??? You opinions will be appreciated.

In article <1991May28.133634.4604@crash.cts.com> georged@pro-harvest.cts.com (George Dybowski) writes:
>I need an expert opinion, what SCSI card to buy, the Apple High Speed or
>the Ramfast SCSI card??  I have a Laser128EX and DMA is not compatible with
>the Apple SCSI card, so I assume that the Ramfast will also be not
>compatible.

	What do you mean? The Apple SCSI card does use DMA (if you want it
to.. You can turn it off but then it's a lot slower).

	If you are saying the Laser128EX doesn't use DMA, then you could use
the Apple SCSI card with DMA off.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|

geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) (06/01/91)

I would recommend RamFast.  CV Tech is an excellent company, and we all
know Apple isn't.  Who knows what they'll support in 4 years?  But
seriously, with a Laser you will most likely want the speed of RamFast's
cache Ram when you cannot use DMA.  The only speed advantage Apple's "High"
Speed SCSI card has over older SCSI cards is DMA compatibility, which you
cannot use anyway.  So try and get a RamFast, I've only heard good things
about them!

Chris
Chris Moylan                    | ProLine: geniusman@pro-hindugods
CoSysop: Hindu Love Gods BBS    | Internet: geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com
313/644-0481                    | UUCP: crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman
300-9600 bps, v.32/v.42/v.42bis | ARPA: crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman@nosc.mil

georged@pro-harvest.cts.com (George Dybowski) (06/06/91)

Do you know if you can have more than 2 partitions in slot # 7 if you use
the Ramfast SCSI card ??? I am using a Laser and need to use slot # 7 and
would buy the Ramfast only if I can get more than 2 partitions.  My slot #
5 is the memory expansion board so I don't want to give up that slot.

gtolar@xcluud.sccsi.com (Glynne Tolar) (06/07/91)

georged@pro-harvest.cts.com (George Dybowski) writes:

> Do you know if you can have more than 2 partitions in slot # 7 if you use
> the Ramfast SCSI card ??? I am using a Laser and need to use slot # 7 and
> would buy the Ramfast only if I can get more than 2 partitions.  My slot #
> 5 is the memory expansion board so I don't want to give up that slot.

And the answer is.................YES!  You can place the RamFAST in ANY
slot and have it phantom slot the extra partitions anywhere you want them!
As long as there is not another disk drive in the slot you want to phantom
to.  In other words you can make it go to slot 1 even if you have a printer
there.  Although AppleWorks does not like that for some strange reason.
There are patches to fix this though.  Anyway I'd say buy it!

----
You can paint it all kinds of pretty colors and have speakers give it glowing
reviews, but abortion is still baby killing.
gtolar@xcluud.sccsi.com <-or-> uunet!nuchat!xcluud!gtolar
I didn't write the organization or path.  I just use it.

mikero@lablues.UUCP (Mike roberge) (06/09/91)

georged@pro-harvest.cts.com (George Dybowski) writes:

> Do you know if you can have more than 2 partitions in slot # 7 if you use
> the Ramfast SCSI card ??? I am using a Laser and need to use slot # 7 and
> would buy the Ramfast only if I can get more than 2 partitions.  My slot #
> 5 is the memory expansion board so I don't want to give up that slot.

I use a RamFactor 1 Meg memory expansion board in slot #7 and have it
partitioned in 3 different sections.

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (06/10/91)

mikero@lablues.UUCP (Mike roberge) writes:

>I use a RamFactor 1 Meg memory expansion board in slot #7 and have it
>partitioned in 3 different sections.

This is different. The RamFactor partitioning software only lets ProDOS
see one partition at a time. The RamFast software lets you see all off them
as long as you have enough non-disk-slots to 'shadow' them in. ProDOS itself
cannot see more than two partitions per slot, so the RamFast software (among
others) fools ProDOS into thinking that other slots are holding the remaining
partitions. The RamFactor software does not do that, unless they've changed it
a lot since I bought mine.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (06/10/91)

George Dybowski writes...
|Do you know if you can have more than 2 partitions in slot # 7 if you use
|the Ramfast SCSI card ??? I am using a Laser and need to use slot # 7 and
|would buy the Ramfast only if I can get more than 2 partitions.  My slot #
|5 is the memory expansion board so I don't want to give up that slot.

Yes, the RamFAST well handle up to 8 partitions, 12 if you get ROM 2.0 for the
RamFAST.

INET: whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com
UUCP: crash!gnh-starport!whitewolf
ARPA: crash!gnh-starport!whitewolf@nosc.mil

georged@pro-harvest.cts.com (George Dybowski) (06/21/91)

I purchased the Ramfast card ver. 2.00 and it works great even with DMA
turned off on my Laser128EX. I also found out that GEOS now recognizes my
hard drive using the Ramfast where before I was using the Apple High Speed
SCSI card and GEOS did not recognize the hard drive.