[comp.sys.apple2] scsi cable frustrations

sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth D. Kadesh) (06/12/91)

What's that 800 number to complain about Apple dealers?

You might remember I was having trouble with my RamFast/Quantum setup
(see: Quantum hard drive AAARRRGGGHHHH :-)
I spoke to Andrew at CVTech (he's the guy that designed the RamFast [I
think]).  He's a very nice person - very helpful and knowledgable too.
I explained my problem to him (directory information was destroyed,
other weird stuff), and he suggested I replace the cable running from
the RamFast to my drive.  I bought the cable from A2-Central, and
apparently some of the cables they made were no good.  So I called up
A2-Central, and they offered to buy back the cable from me (everyone
so far has been very nice), and I buy a new cable from Altech.  I get
the Altech cable today, and find that it's a standard Mac SCSI cable -
db25 male to a centronics 50 male.  Great.  All I need is something
that goes from a male centronics 50 to a 50 pin "header" connection -
what you see on the drive.  This is not a standard cable.

(A quick aside - I should be able to do things the "Apple way" now.  I
just need to buy the othewr cables.  Anyone have the "official Apple
SCSI cables"?  How well do they work, and what exactly do they
comprise?)

So I go looking for a cable that fits this description.  Altech
offered to replace my cable with a correct one, but I didn't want to
wait (and I'm afraid that they might not get the order correct).  I
called a couple of places that make cables, but they either siad they
couldn't make it, or they wanted a minimum of $75 (bulk).  So I tried
the local Apple dealer.  Big mistake.  I call them up, and I explain
to the guy what I need:
  I say "Hi.  I need to get a SCSI cable for my Apple IIGS"
  The guy says "What kind of drive do you have?"
  I say "A SCSI drive" and try to explain to him that I need a cable
to go from the drive to a centronics connector.
  He says "Where did you buy the drive?"
  I say "mailorder company"
  He says "Where did you buy the card?"
  I say "mailorder company"
  He says "and you expect me to connect them?"

I was trying to ask the guy about the cables the Apple sells, and he's
getting so hostile, I debated whether it wouldn't be more worthwhile
to hang up on him, and send my cable by to Altech!

So if anyone has that 800 number handy.....

I ended up calling Andrew (CVTech) back and telling him my problem.
He suggested someplace that I could order the correct cable from, and
told me how to make one myself.  I ordered the parts today, so
hopefully I will have a working cable within the next week!

Whew.

Just double checking with you hardware gurus out there: from the 50
pin centronics (female) to the 50 pin header connector (to the drive),
all pins go straight through (pin 1 to pin 1, ... pin 50 to pin 50)?
Why are there 50 pins in the SCSI cable, if there's only 25 pins
coming out of the RamFast?

-seth                  tHe mAd ScienTisT, and other carnations
-----------------------
sk2f@andrew.cmu.edu   | everything seems so easy this way but I'm going under
tmSatCMU@DRYCAS.BITNET| fast, I'm slipping away, am I so crazy? - Marillion

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (06/12/91)

sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth D. Kadesh) writes:

>Just double checking with you hardware gurus out there: from the 50
>pin centronics (female) to the 50 pin header connector (to the drive),
>all pins go straight through (pin 1 to pin 1, ... pin 50 to pin 50)?

Yep. If you get it backwards, don't panic -- you won't be able to see the
drive from the computer but it won't fry anything.

>Why are there 50 pins in the SCSI cable, if there's only 25 pins
>coming out of the RamFast?

The other 25 pins are either all ground or or are complemented (actually
opposite voltage, but only higher end SCSI systems do it) versions of the
first 25. Apple chose the 25 pin connector because it was small and much
easier to mount on the mac motherboards than the 50 pin centronics.

Ya know, the RAMfast does have holes on it for a 50 pin header with the exact
same pinout as the one on the drive. Don't know if you want an exposed ribbon
cable though. (They put it there for internal drive hookups.)

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

In article <McJHHk_00VAtEoZ6ZA@andrew.cmu.edu> sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth D. Kadesh) writes:
>What's that 800 number to complain about Apple dealers?

an edited chunk of an old file I have talking about the 800 number:

call their 800 number (1-800-538-9696), ask for customer/dealer
relations and give them the name of the dealers in your area who don't seem to
know anything about Apple ]['s software operating systems.

>db25 male to a centronics 50 male.  Great.  All I need is something
>that goes from a male centronics 50 to a 50 pin "header" connection -
>what you see on the drive.  This is not a standard cable.

	I got one of these cables for $5 from a local place called Weird
Stuff.. They have a bundle of pre-made SCSI cables. Works like a charm.
If you want to send me a check to pay for it and postage, I'll buy you
one and send you one. If other people are interested, I could do it for you
too. Just e-mail me.

>  I say "Hi.  I need to get a SCSI cable for my Apple IIGS"

	First thing.. Don't mention the Apple II when you talk to dealers.
Sad but unfortunately true. Besides, from your description, your cable
has NOTHING to do with what computer you are connecting it to. You are just
connecting from the DRIVE (the end that has little places for the "snaps" on
the drive to go into), to the SCSI CABLE.. So basically you have two
cables. You could make one homemade cable to go straight from your SCSI card
to the drive, but that'd be non-standard.

>  I say "mailorder company"
>  He says "and you expect me to connect them?"

	He sure as hell should connect WHATEVER drive you bought, as you
paid for it and are going to pay for their work.. (that is, you WOULD have
done that..  now you have a cheaper alternative)

>I ordered the parts today, so
>hopefully I will have a working cable within the next week!

	Oh, I guess my offer then is pointless for you...

>Just double checking with you hardware gurus out there: from the 50
>pin centronics (female) to the 50 pin header connector (to the drive),
>all pins go straight through (pin 1 to pin 1, ... pin 50 to pin 50)?
>Why are there 50 pins in the SCSI cable, if there's only 25 pins
>coming out of the RamFast?

	There are only 25 pins coming out of the RamFAST because they
apparently have done the same thing Apple has, cut back on the SCSI
standard. There also probably wouldn't be enough room on the back of the
computer for a 50 pin connector.

	But anyways, the SCSI standard talks about 50 pins, I believe 25 of
which are ground. I still don't understand the reasoning for multiple grounds,
but it supposedly cuts down on noise.

	And yes, it is "straight through."  My drive fried once, and I still
haven't figured out definitely whether it was me or the power supply or
something. I believe I may have forgotten to flip over the ribbon cable
before connecting the other connector.

	Ohwell, I have a cheap, pre-made cable now. even better.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|

georged@pro-harvest.cts.com (George Dybowski) (06/21/91)

Half og the other pins are ground pins. All odd numbered pins are ground
and only the even pins contain "signals". Most of all, don't forget about
"power termination" which is on pin # 26 of the 50 pin connector, you
should have it connected to pin # 25 on the other end.