[comp.sys.apple2] Ensoniq question...

jrowliso@ub.d.umn.edu (Isildur) (06/18/91)

I have been writing several applications using the Ensoniq and that chip is
absolutely amazing.  I have one question though: If Apple wants to get all
the II and IBM users to switch to the Macs, why didn't it talk with Ensoniq
about getting that firmware put into the new Macs???

andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) (06/20/91)

    Ah, I'm glad someone asked that question.  The reason is simple: Apple
Records Corp. sued Apple Computer, Inc., saying that the latter's name was
to similar to theirs.  So, Apple Computer agreed no to build another
machine with fantastic (whatever that means) music capabilities.  The Apple
IIGS had already been built and marketed (if you'll excuse the word) by
then.  Therefore, Apple Computer has not built a anohter musical computer
since then, to avoid being sued by Apple Records.  Looks like they got a
taste of their own medicine. :)

In article <1991Jun20.073426.16262@clark.edu> andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) writes:
.    Ah, I'm glad someone asked that question.  The reason is simple: Apple
.Records Corp. sued Apple Computer, Inc., saying that the latter's name was
.to similar to theirs.  So, Apple Computer agreed no to build another
.machine with fantastic (whatever that means) music capabilities.  The Apple
.IIGS had already been built and marketed (if you'll excuse the word) by
.then.  Therefore, Apple Computer has not built a anohter musical computer
.since then, to avoid being sued by Apple Records.  Looks like they got a
.taste of their own medicine. :)

	First, I must say that I am not completely positive of the
veracity of the information I am about to put forth, but I have heard it and
read it in multiple places, so...

	As far as I have heard, Apple and Apple had had some kind of a
secret legal agreement for a long long time. When it all came out publically,
Woz said he'd never heard of the pact, which could be used as circumstantial
evidence to say that either it never existed or it was actually a deep
legal secret.

	But I am fairly sure that the GS and various MIDI devices (i.e.
things that'll work on both the Mac and GS) all were types of things that
Apple Records was pissed about.  Mainly, the GS -was- a big part of it.

--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|