[net.space] List of astronomy depts. and observatories on the net

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (11/05/83)

The following is a list of astronomy departments and observatories on the
net.  Does anybody know of any others?

 Name: astrovax
 Contact: William L. Sebok
 Phone: (609) 452-3586
 Postal-Address: Princeton Univ. Observatory, 129 Peyton Hall,
 	Princeton, NJ 08544
 Electronic-Address: astrovax!wls
 News: princeton
 Mail: allegra akgua burl cbosgd cithep decvax fisher ias ihnp4 jplcom kpno
 	princeton rocky2

 Name: hao
 Contact: Peter Gross
 Phone: (303) 494-5151 x348
 Postal-Address: P.O. Box 3000, Boulder, CO 80307
 Electronic-Address: seismo!hao!pag
 News: menlo70 cires hplabs csu-cs seismo kpno
 Mail: ucsfcgl brl-bmd nbires boulder ntia ames-lm stc70

 Name: kpno
 Contact: Mike Brown
 Phone: (602) 327-5511
 Postal-Address: P.O. Box 26732, 950 N. Cherry Ave., Tucson, AZ 85726-6732
 Electronic-Address: kpno!brown, or kpno!usenet
 News: arizona hao hsi ut-sally
 Mail: arizona astrovax charm decvax floyd hao hsi ias ihnp4 lbl-csam miami
 	misvax sdcarl sdcsvax seismo solar unc utastronomy ut-sally vortex

 Name: utastro
 Contact: Fritz Benedict
 Phone: (512) 471-4461
 Postal-Address: McDonald Observatory, University of Texas, Austin, TX 78712
 Electronic-Address: fritz@utastro.UUCP
 News: ut-ngp
 Mail: ut-ngp ut-sally ut-tsp kpno kei-zeus

----
Prentiss Riddle
{ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!riddle
riddle@ut-sally.UUCP

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (11/05/83)

Hmm.  I think I goofed when I included hao.UUCP on the list of USENET
sites involved in astronomy.  True, "hao" stands for "High Altitude
Observatory," but I'm not sure that the altitudes of interest to the
folks there are quite  t h a t  high!
----
Prentiss Riddle
{ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!riddle
riddle@ut-sally.UUCP

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (11/07/83)

Oops again!  HAO, I am politely corrected by a small legion of people,
is indeed engaged in astronomical work.  As one person put it:

> [...]
> 	Control System (ACS), and HAO will need to replace an electronics
> 	box (MEB).  The HAO repair program is headed by Dr. Lewis L. House,
> 	who until recently had been in charge of the data reduction program
> 	using NCAR's CRAY computers.  The Main Electronics Box was fabricated
> 	by the Ball Brothers Research Corporation, the subcontractor for the
> 	original sucessful instrument.  The box will undergo final testing
> 	next week here at HAO prior to being shipped to the NASA Goddard
> 	Space Flight Center for integration with the STS-13 mission hardware.
>
> 3.  The SMM was initially supported by, and is now totally supplemented by the
> 	Mauna Loa Solar Observatory (mlso) coronagraph station on the island
> 	of Hawaii at 11000 ft. altitude on the North side of the mountain.
> 	(Mauna Loa is regarded as an active volcano.  One eruptions did occur
> 	within a few miles of the station, however most are far away down the
> 	southeast flank.)  Including HAO scientist Dr. Richard Fisher, the
> 	station is manned by a five member HAO team, and makes synoptic
> 	observations of the Solar Corona from 0.5 to 3.0 Solar Radii in
> 	complement with the SMM.  Observations are supplemented by selected
> 	H-Alpha telescope images that the crew collects in patrol mode, or
> 	other modes where activity is evident.
>
> 4.  New programs at HAO will obtain data for the Solar Variability program,
> 	and will include a collaborative program with Dr. G.W. Lockwood of
> 	the Lowell Observatory and Dr. Dimitri Mihalas of HAO to collect
> 	synoptic data on a significant number of stars in the K-Line and in
> 	H-Alpha.  There is ample evidence that there are stars with cycles
> 	and chromospheres (See Wilson, et. al.) so its about time we got some
> 	solar/stellar documentation.  Dr. Fisher (HAO) is planning to collect
> 	Solar K-Line data at MLSO as well.  The K-Line is an excellent magnetic
> 	spectral line generated in the chromospheres of the Sun and many stars.
>
> 5.  A new collaborative program with the Sacramento Peak Observatory will
> 	use instrumentation constructed at HAO and SPO to measure velocities
> 	of solar surface material to an accracy of less than one meter per
> 	second.  HAO scientist Dr. Tim Brown is working with SPO scientist
> 	Jack Evans to begin gathering data in the near term.  The HAO portion
> 	of the instrument was delivered in July, and integration with the
> 	SPO Perkin Elmer 3220, CAMAC, optical ports and mechanisms is well
> 	along.
>
> The above discussion concerns mostly instrumentation efforts at HAO.  There
> is an equal preponderance of theoretical work done here under a couple of
> other programs that I will not delineate; it is not possible for me to compose
> an article of this length without making an annoying mistake somewhere, so
> I had better stop here.
> 				Regards, Howard Hull... A member of the
> 				HAO Instrument Group
>
>  {ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!brl-bmd | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!kpno}

Oh, well, into each life some blunders must fall.
----