[net.space] SPS, heat, etc.

lipman@decwrl.UUCP (11/07/83)

From: Ed Featherston  HL01-1/P06  225-5241 <roll::featherston>

 Begin Forwarded Message:

Newsgroup : net.space
>From : BACH::PIERSON
Subj: SPS, heat, etc.

    The point is not that SPS will cause heat pollution relative to other
energy sources, that is obviously absurd.  The point is that the laws of
thermodynamics make it impractical for us to continue increasing our total
earthside energy use.  Space is an excellent place to move energy or
pollution intensive industries so that our earthside energy (and pollution)
budget can be spent on things that *can't* move away from the earthside
population.

    I am well aware that we can't do this immediately.  In fact serious
proposals would run into intense opposition from the current earth-based
industries and labor as well as economic arguments.  What I am claiming is
that moving these industries is both practical and beneficial *after* other
space industries are well established.

    							dan

		Mail address : ...decvax!decwrl!rhea!bach!pierson

 End Forwarded Message