[comp.sys.apple2] RamKeeper

UCI137@URIACC.BITNET (Andy Kress) (07/13/90)

  Hi all...
    A while ago I was having problems with my RamKeeper so I sent it to
 AE and they sent it back saying it was fine and that I have to use an Apple
 card with 512k on the front.  (I had a 1 meg on the back and 256k on the
 front)  Well anyway I got another set of chips and upgraded the card and
 it just wont work....GS/OS doesnt recognize it and always asks if I want
 to initialize the RamKeeper.  The card works absolutly fine with either of
 the cards by itself...and in either the front or the back.  As soon as
 I have them both in the weird things happen.  Does anyone out there have
 a RamKeeper with 2 cards on it?  2 Apple cards?  Any help would be
 appreciated...I'm begining to think this thing doesnt do what they say it
 does!
                                            Andy
                                            UCI137 at URIACC

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (12/25/90)

I left the transformer for my RamKeeper at school when I brought the
rest of my system back.  Can someone give me the voltage and orientation
of the output on this?  Thanks.

Henry

--
---
Henry Throop

scott@hpuslma.STLOUIS.HP.COM (Jim Scott) (12/26/90)

Henry,

My adapter says 9.5vdc @ 1A.

I am still to get a new, different IC from A.E. so I can get my 'used
Ramkeeper' up and running once more.  I am trying to use either a Silicon &
Software or an Applied Ingenuity 4MB RAM card with it.   I don't think the
A.I. board will work, but according to LRO in Chicago that sold me the S&S
card, it is built to Apple specs. and will operate with the Ramkeeper.  If
you have any comments or ideas on this combination, please advise.

Jim

slhood@bluemoon.uucp (Stephen L. Hood) (06/07/91)

        I just purchased an old AE Ramkeeper card today at my local apple
dealer and am having some trouble using it with my GS.  The card works
perfectly with my old Apple memory expansion card (with a full meg) but
crashes when loading GS/OS (and only then) when I install my standard
memory card, a GS Juice plus with two megs installed.  I am running with
ROM 01, an Innerdrive 40, Audio Animator, GS Juice+, and a Zip GSX at 9
mHz with a 64k cache.  If anyone can enlighten me as to the causes of the
crashes, the information would be much appreciated.

Stephen L. Hood                      "WARNING:  MOS circuits are subject
                                       to damage from static discharge!"
Internet:  slhood@bluemoon.uucp
UUCP    :  ...osu-cis!n8emr!bluemoon!slhood

slhood@bluemoon.uucp (Stephen L. Hood) (06/10/91)

        If <anyone> could offer some insight on the following problem,
it would be much appreciated!

        I recently purchased a RamKeeper for my Apple IIgs.  Here is the
list of hardware that is involved in the problem I have been experiencing:

Apple IIgs ROM 01
RamKeeper
GSJuice+ memory card w/2 megs
Apple IIgs Memory Expansion Card w/1 meg
GS-Ram memory card w/256K

        When I first installed the RamKeeper, I did not yet own the GS-Ram
card.  Therefore, I was only able to plug in one card at a time to the
RamKeeper.  When using the Apple IIgs Memory Expansion card, the system
functioned normally.  However, when using the GSJuice+ card, ProDOS 8
would
function normally but the system would crash mysteriously while loading
GS/OS.  The error could not be traced, as the system would either lockup,
drop to the monitor, or report a fatal system error (which incidently
changed several times throughout my tests).
        Several days ago, I purchased an AE GS-Ram card w/256K.  I bought
it not only because it was on sale, but also because the RamKeeper allows
the user to plug the GS-Ram directly into the front of the RamKeeper,
leaving room for a second card on the board.  Naturally, I plugged the
GS-Ram into the front of the RamKeeper, and then proceeded to plug in the
GSJuice+ and the Apple IIgs Memory Expansion board into the back --
individually :-).  This time, <neither> configuration worked!

        Obviously, this is the product of some strange incompatibilty or
some similar problem, as the hardware itself is not flawed.  However, even
though the GSJuce+ is <not> mentioned in the RamKeeper manual, that
probably means nothing.  I doubt that AE would advertise a Applied
Ingenuity product in their manual.
        On the other hand, the GSJuice+ is supposed to be 100% compatible
with all other DMA memory cards.

        If anyone has a solution, an idea, or even just a comment, please
let me know!

Thanks,
     Steve Hood

dkl@xcluud.sccsi.com (David Leikam) (06/11/91)

slhood@bluemoon.uucp (Stephen L. Hood) writes:

>         I just purchased an old AE Ramkeeper card today at my local apple
> dealer and am having some trouble using it with my GS. ...
> ...GS Juice +...

        I once had the same problem. AE managed to construct the card so
that it does not work with Ingenuity's products. According to their tech
support line, they do not know why it doesn't, and have no plans to find
out. The impression I got from AE was "get off our phone line, OK?"

     The only suggestion I have for you is to sell the Ramkeeper. Buy a UPS
instead, they're getting down to less than $200 now and will provide
protection for your whole system, not just your RAM disk.

PKBRANDON@MSUS1.MSUS.EDU (06/11/91)

I'm typing this on a GS 01 with a RamKeeper.  I've got an AE GSRam board
with 1.5meg (fully populated) and an Apple 1meg memory board both plugged
into it; no problems.  I've got a couple of full GS Juice+ boards in other
machines; no compatibility problems, but I haven't tried it with the
RamKeeper.  I recall calling AE and asking about compatibility; they said
that the Juice+ card would not work with the RamKeeper.  My reaction was
the same as yours, so I also called Quality Computers.  Their tech service
corroborated what AE said.  They claimed to have tested the RamKeeper with
the GS Juice+ and it didn't work.  Why, no one has said.
   ---   Paul Brandon    Psychology Dept    Mankato State Univ   ---
   ---    PKBRANDON@MSUS1.MSUS.EDU          Mankato, MN 56001    ---
ps
My son has a full Juice+ plugged into his old Memory Saver board (the first
battery backed up ROM disk for the GS), but that wasn't an AE product.

ieeug330@Eagle.oscs.montana.edu (Mark Wistey) (06/12/91)

In article <suVB41w164w@bluemoon.uucp>, slhood@bluemoon.uucp (Stephen L. Hood) writes:
>        I recently purchased a RamKeeper for my Apple IIgs.  Here is the
(stuff deleted)
>RamKeeper.  When using the Apple IIgs Memory Expansion card, the system
>functioned normally.  However, when using the GSJuice+ card, ProDOS 8
>would
>function normally but the system would crash mysteriously while loading
>GS/OS.  The error could not be traced, as the system would either lockup,
>drop to the monitor, or report a fatal system error (which incidently
>changed several times throughout my tests).
>though the GSJuce+ is <not> mentioned in the RamKeeper manual, that

I got one of the first RamKeepers (i.e. only 4 months after they were
advertised, and 1 week after they started shipping), and I suspect you're
facing the same problems I had.  First, the RamKeeper is terribly timing-
sensitive.  The Apple card was the only card I could get to run with 150ns
("slow") memory.  When AE was notified of my problem, they had me ship in
the *GS-RAM* and not the RamKeeper for replacement--apparently GS-RAMs with
revisions A-C wouldn't work, at least on the front of the RamKeeper.
So... with faster memory and a revision D GS-RAM, things were fine.  Might
try getting a replacement GS-RAM - if it's still under warranty, the swap
is free.
    I think the GSJuice+ came out after the RamKeeper... nothing
significant about its absence from the RamKeeper manual.
    You might also try pushing each chip on each card into place firmly.
The memory cards get hot, and that seems to inspire the chips to move.
>        Obviously, this is the product of some strange incompatibilty or
>some similar problem, as the hardware itself is not flawed.  However, even

Don't be so sure... AE already cut corners with the GS-RAM, and Applied
Ingenuity probably did the same.  Efficiency sometimes gets in the way.
>        On the other hand, the GSJuice+ is supposed to be 100% compatible
>with all other DMA memory cards.
I don't think the RamKeeper is DMA.  I think it just refreshes the memory
on the attached cards when the computer's off.  Too bad we don't have
engineers from AE bold enough to contribute to this group.  (Thanks Matt!
Dave! & others from Apple!)
    Hope this helps.

Mark Wistey... gmw1142%msu3.dnet@mtsunix1  (BITNet)  | Bicycling, Apple II's,
gmw1142%msu3.dnet@terra.oscs.montana.edu  (InterNet) | Christ-like living,
Quad D, #308, Bozeman, MT 59715, USA      (BikeNet)  | Music, and Physics  :-)

Paul.Parkhurst.@f229.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG (Paul Parkhurst ) (06/12/91)

   Try checking your control panel's RAM disk setting and see how much memory
it says you have.  If what it says is different that what you actually have on
your RAM keeper, then your problem is most likely the wrong type of RAM chip.
Contact the place you got your RAM and make sure you've got CAS before RAS
chips.  PCs don't really care what type of chips they use, but GS memory cards
like to have CAS before RAS.

   Also, your problem might be incompatibility with a DMA device.  Older
versions of the RamKeeper aren't DMA compatible.  Doesn't matter if your memory
card is or not, if the RamKeeper isn't, your system won't boot properly.  I
have this problem with my DMA SCSI card.  I have to disable the DMA because my
stupid RamKeeper isn't DMA compatible (even though my GS RAM+ and Apple card
are).  This was gross neglect on the part of AE, in my opinion, since they were
always spouting off at how perfectly compatible their cards were with
everything.  I'm sure they have an upgrade, but I don't think I should have to
spend the money to upgrade (or to call their 900 number).

--- Fruity Dog v2.0
 * Origin: -- Your source for Apple II Telecommunications (1:104/229)

--
Paul Parkhurst  - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
UUCP: ...!boulder!bohemia.METRONET.ORG!1!104!229!Paul.Parkhurst.

acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (albert chin) (06/13/91)

In article <BwHc42w164w@xcluud.sccsi.com> dkl@xcluud.sccsi.com (David Leikam) writes:
>slhood@bluemoon.uucp (Stephen L. Hood) writes:
>
>>         I just purchased an old AE Ramkeeper card today at my local apple
>> dealer and am having some trouble using it with my GS. ...
>> ...GS Juice +...
>>

>        I once had the same problem. AE managed to construct the card so
>that it does not work with Ingenuity's products. According to their tech
>support line, they do not know why it doesn't, and have no plans to find
>out. The impression I got from AE was "get off our phone line, OK?"
>
>     The only suggestion I have for you is to sell the Ramkeeper. Buy a UPS
>instead, they're getting down to less than $200 now and will provide
>protection for your whole system, not just your RAM disk.

maybe applied engineering got tired of looking at ingenuity's ads :) i
thought they were kind of cute, though.

as to this UPS business, what kind do you have. as i've never done this,
just how do you hook up a UPS to the computer. what i have in mind is if
the power goes off and the UPS needs to take over, then it will send a
signal to the computer and then the computer will power off "safely". i
suppose this could be done with an INIT that sets up an interrupt for
this signal and then just waits for it. when it receives it, it issues an
OSShutDown call (i'm not sure here, but you get the picture).

too bad there isn't a "soft"-switch which will automatically turn your
computer off, physically. issuing the shutdown call really isn't all that
great if the computer is still on and can be zapped when the UPS runs out
of power.

still, it sure sounds like a nice idea. credit for the NeXT folk at
comp.sys.next for inspiring it in me.

albert

rhood@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Robert Hood) (06/15/91)

> --- Fruity Dog v2.0

How can I get this?  I've heard about it, but have never actually SEEN the
blasted thing.  (I ask because I'm in the process of writing my own point
software for Fido interaction - I just finished the message packet assembly
segment, but I truly DREAD writing (a) the mailer and (b) the Reply/Enter
message segments.  I don't know how to interface with a modem via assembly,
and I don't feel up to the task of writing my own word processor that can
chain back to the parent program.)

Please - if you have information, POST IT!  (Und I know you haf
information....)  :)
----
ProLine:  rhood@pro-gsplus                 | "Wherever you go...there you are."
Internet: rhood@pro-gsplus.cts.com         |     -- Buckaroo Banzai
UUCP:     crash!pro-gsplus!rhood           | Wanted: An unZIPper for a II!
ARPA:     crash!pro-gsplus!rhood@nosc.mil  | If you have one, let's chat!

gpoon@pro-micol.cts.com (Gregory Poon) (06/15/91)

AE claims that the RAMkeeper is compatible with MOST memory cards AT THAT
TIME, but I don't think it ever discloses just exactly which cards ARE
compatible and which are not (the AE line of RAM card are, obviusly). I
remember Applied Ingenuity was a fierce competitor -- especially against AE --
before it went under, but I don't think AI would ever intentionally produce
something that is incompatible with the RAMkeep and not tell about it. But
that again...
-------------------------------------------<Pro-micol (416) 731 - 3468>------
ProLine:   gpoon@pro-micol
Internet:  generic!pnet91!pro-micol!gpoon@zoo.toronto.edu
UUCP:      utzoo!generic!pnet91!pro-micol!gpoon
-------------------------------------------<24 hours   300/1200/2400  >------

geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) (06/16/91)

I have devised a system to allow my GS to shutdown from a command issued in
BASIC (the only language I know :)) anyway, it uses the internal game port,
and I have had now unexpected shutdowns as a result of programs activation
of the port, so it seems to work quite well.  Uses a mass of relays and
wires!  Anyone interested in making their own, e-mail me.  It also starts
up when you press the 'reset' key on the ADB GS keyboard.

Chris

Chris Moylan                    | ProLine: geniusman@pro-hindugods
CoSysop: Hindu Love Gods BBS    | Internet: geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com
313/644-0481                    | UUCP: crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman
300-9600 bps, v.32/v.42/v.42bis | ARPA: crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman@nosc.mil

gtolar@xcluud.sccsi.com (Glynne Tolar) (06/17/91)

rhood@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Robert Hood) writes:

> How can I get this?  I've heard about it, but have never actually SEEN the
> blasted thing.  (I ask because I'm in the process of writing my own point

A word of caution: A friend has bought Fruity-Dog and has yet to receive the
disk promised.  Now he did receive it via modem in the mean time.  But if I
payed $89 (For DBBS w/ Fruity-Dog) I'd want my DISK!  Also note there are
some rumblings of others having simular problems.  I would take great care
when sending money to this flakey charactor.

Fruity-Dog does work and it is for GBBS.  But the support from the guy is
thin and the instructions even thinner.

----
You can paint it all kinds of pretty colors and have speakers give it glowing
reviews, but abortion is still baby killing.
gtolar@xcluud.sccsi.com <-or-> uunet!nuchat!xcluud!gtolar
I didn't write the organization or path.  I just use it.

rhood@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Robert Hood) (06/22/91)

Re: Fruity Dog

Apparently I would be better off continuing to write my own program to do
all this....oh well.  Anyone wanna help me write a modem interface?  :)
----