[comp.sys.apple2] High-Speed SCSI card and 80 MB drive

mcl9337@harpo.tamu.edu (LOWE, MARK CHRISTOPHER) (06/23/91)

I need to know the purpose of the four dip switches on the Apple High-Speed
SCSI Card.  Also, I have an Apple 80 MB SCSI drive (the Quantum variety).  It
does not have a case, so I'm running it off a PC power supply.  I have fashioned
a special cable to connect from the 50-pin header of the drive to the DB-25 on
the SCSI Card.

Now what I'm looking for is SCSI hard disk utilities!  I can't format this drive
or do ANYTHING to it for that matter.  PR#7 just gives SCSI BOOT ERROR (to be
expected, of course).  I have Apple's SCSI Drive Test disk.  It tells me no
drive is connected.  Does it need to be formatted for this utility to work?  Of
course, it offers no such capability!

If there are utilities that I can ftp, I would greatly appreciate knowing about
them!

Thanks...

Mark C. "Bro!" Lowe - KB5III

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (06/23/91)

In article <17668@helios.TAMU.EDU> mcl9337@harpo.tamu.edu writes:
>I need to know the purpose of the four dip switches on the Apple High-Speed
>SCSI Card.

They are described in the manual; the front one controls whether or not
DMA will be used and the back three set the SCSI device priority (should
be 7).

>Now what I'm looking for is SCSI hard disk utilities!

Assuming there is nothing wrong with the disk, and that the SCSI bus has
been properly terminated, all you should need to do is use the Advanced
Disk Utility (IIGS only) or perhaps a recently updated Chinook SCSI
Utilities (ProDOS-8 based) to format the disk and install an initial
ProDOS filesystem.  Many of the "SCSI utilities" one finds uploaded to
information services work only with the older "Rev C" SCSI Card, not the
new High-Speed SCSI Card.  If you get desperate, you might borrow a Rev.
C SCSI Card and use one of the older utilities to format the disk.