[comp.sys.apple2] IBM SOUND and OTHER STUFF...

friskeydog@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Ryan Stern) (06/13/91)

I am MAD!  I have a friend who has an IBM 386 and he is always saying that
IBM's have better graphics, more programs, and are faster than my IIGS.  I
know this is true and I always use the GS's sound as a strong point.  It is
a well known fact that off-the-rack IBM's are only capable of beeps, boops,
and farts.  Now my friend has a sound card and he says that his machine has
better sound.  Now we both have sound cards and we are in a draw.

Our APPLE ][ STATEMENT:   APPLE ][ IS COOL, APPLE //FOREVER, YAY APPLE
                          II!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
APPLE Computer's STATEMENT:  APPLE ][ IS COOL, APPLE //, latest inovation,
                             APPLE II what a drag!
(][ represents the ][ and the ][+, // represents the //e and //c, II
represents the IIGS)

                ][, //, II's forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                ][, //, II's forever???????????????????????
                    friskeydog@pro-palmtree.cts.com
   -- The Palmtree BBS -- (213) 450-9394 -- 300/1200/2400 24 Hours --

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (06/16/91)

IBM sound cards have close to the potential of the GS's off the shelf sound,
however I have found few programs thatreally use them effectively. "Ad-Lib
support" usually means a really amazing startup tune and then beeps and boops
through the rest of the game. Compare this to to One Arm Battle where there is
Human Voice throughout.

I assume there is an equivalent to SoundSmith for the IBM, but I have never
heard of it. I suspect that it plays only non-standard standard sound formats.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

I409@DMAFHT1.BITNET (KRS) (06/17/91)

There's only one thing I'd like to say to this:

"F**K IBM and MOTHERF**K the Macintosh, man| This is the IIGS -
 so be part of the legend|||||||"

KRS

$CSB205@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) (06/18/91)

.
 csri.toronto.edu!utgpu!utzoo!utdoe!generic!pnet91!ericmcg@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU>

|From:         Eric Mcgillicuddy
              <cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!swrinde!cs.utexas
              .edu!news-server.csri.toronto
              .edu!utgpu!utzoo!utdoe!generic!pnet91!ericmcg
              @UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU>
|Subject:      Re: IBM SOUND and OTHER STUFF...

|IBM sound cards have close to the potential of the GS's off the shelf sound,
|however I have found few programs thatreally use them effectively. "Ad-Lib
|support" usually means a really amazing startup tune and then beeps and boops
|through the rest of the game. Compare this to to One Arm Battle where there is
|Human Voice throughout.

The Ad-Lib sound card has no where near the capability of the ensoniq.
From what I have heard of them, the Game Blaster has about the same sound
generating ability as the ensoniq (i.e. about 15 voices + a DAC) and the
Roland LAPC-1 has considerably more (full range sound, 32 voices + many
built in effects). The area where IIgs's and Macs have it over on the PCs
is end user sampling. The Game Blaster can play 8 bit samples but it cannot
create them. There are to my knowledge no cheap sampling boards available
for PCs. As we all know the Mac LC and IIsi have sampling built in and the
GS can be fitted with sampling cards fairly cheaply.

As for sound intensive software on the PC, I suggest you look at some of
the Sierra SCI stuff. The sounds for these games in awfully good.

One problem I see with sound on the PC is that many games say that they are
Ad-Lib, Game Blaster, and LAPC-1 compatible (i.e. they have to support a
wide range of sound hardware). They must use a lot of floppy disk space for
sound routines.

As game machines PC do pretty well. You can outfit them with decent sound
hardware (I think one Tandy model has an 8-bit DAC built in) and with two
joysticks (which, though the hardware to support it is available on the
Apple IIgs...Apple would never put two joysticks on one of its computers.
They wouldn't want it to look like a game machine - which is a pity since
educational programs and games have a lot in common AND the computer game
market is much larger than the educational market.)

|UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
|INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

--------------------------------   "WE WERE HAVING A GREAT TIME, BUT
! MARK ORR                     !    MACINTOSH WASN'T SELLING THAT WELL.
! $CSB205 @ LSUVM.SNCC.LSU.EDU !    THE APPLE II WAS PAYING OUR WAY."
!         @ LSUVM.BITNET       !                  - GUY KAWASAKI
--------------------------------      FROM HIS BOOK: THE MACINTOSH WAY

mek4_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Mark Kern) (06/18/91)

There are basically three different sound add-on options for the PC.

1) Addlib card : The Addlib card has 11 voices of FM synthesized sound.
	This is the card I know least about, but I believe it does not
	have a DAC channel to play back digitized sounds with.  As for
	the FM sound generation, this is pretty good, but the Ensoniq
	is much more impressive because all its instruments are sampled
	and thus sound more realistic (albeit a little noisier).

2) SoundBlaster card : The Soundblaster card has all the capabilities
	and full compatability with the Addlib plus an 8-bit DAC
	channel that is DMA compatable.  I've heard that the Addlib
	emulation is superior to the original Addlib card. As for the
	8-bit channel, you can sample using this board, but it can
	not play back at as high a rate as the Ensoniq can. Neither
	the Addlib or the SoundBlaster are true stereo. IMHO, this
	card sounds better than the Addlib, but not as nice as the
	GS.

3) Roland LAPC-1 card and derivatives : Give it up. This thing trashes
	the Ensoniq.  All the sounds (15-voices...not sure) have a rich
	and lush timbre that cannot be matched by the Ensoniq.  This
	thing also has built in effects such as reverb, chorus, etc,
	that really make a difference in the overall production. There
	is one aspect where the Ensoniq is superior, and that is in
	its ability to play back and record sampled sounds.  the
	Roland card has a couple of built in samples for game sounds,
	but you are limited to what is built in to the card.

Software Considerations: Most games support both the Addlib and Sound-
Blaster options, and more and more support the Roland card. Sierra has
done a fantastic job of creating music on these cards for their games.
Origin broke new ground with the score for Wing Commander, which sounds
like it was composed for the next Star Wars and changes depending on
whats happening in the game.  As far as music players for these cards
go, there are quite a few - shareware is overabundant in the IBM world.
I haven't seen one with snazzy graphics though, like SoundSmith on the GS.

Mark E. Kern

--
Mark Edward Kern==========================================================
|   	Quagmire Studios : "We not only hear you, we feel you!"          |

taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) (06/19/91)

mek4_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Mark Kern) writes:

> 3) Roland LAPC-1 card and derivatives : Give it up. This thing trashes
> 	the Ensoniq.  All the sounds (15-voices...not sure) have a rich
> 	and lush timbre that cannot be matched by the Ensoniq.  This
> 	thing also has built in effects such as reverb, chorus, etc,
> 	that really make a difference in the overall production. There
> 	is one aspect where the Ensoniq is superior, and that is in
> 	its ability to play back and record sampled sounds.  the
> 	Roland card has a couple of built in samples for game sounds,
> 	but you are limited to what is built in to the card.

    So far in this discussion, nobody's mentioned the relative prices of the
Adlib, Sound Blaster and the Roland LAPC-1.  The adlib is around $100 or so,
the SB (not to be confused with the Sonic Blaster ;-) ) goes for around
$175, and I don't know what the Roland might sell for.  $400 or so?  It's a
nice piece of equipment, but there's a hefty price tag to go along with it.
Heck, I could get a 10-MHz/64K ZipGS for that kind of money, and have cash
left over...

asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) (06/20/91)

        "One Arm Battle?" Is that a GS product or an IBM product?
----
ProLine:  asong@pro-nbs
Internet: asong@pro-nbs.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-nbs!asong
ARPA:     crash!pro-nbs!asong@nosc.mil

asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) (06/20/91)

>"F**K IBM and MOTHERF**K the Macintosh, man| This is the IIGS -
>so be part of the legend|||||||"

>KRS

        Well, that was pretty unproductive...
,
s.s
----
ProLine:  asong@pro-nbs
Internet: asong@pro-nbs.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-nbs!asong
ARPA:     crash!pro-nbs!asong@nosc.mil

rsopicki@pro-amber.cts.com (System Administrator) (06/23/91)

I concur. That was a message not worth keeping. As a matter of fact, I
deleted it.
----
ProLine:  rsopicki@pro-amber
Internet: rsopicki@pro-amber.cts.com