[comp.sys.apple2] Are IIgs keycaps removable?

SCHDAVZ@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu (Dave Schweisguth) (06/19/91)

I have here some very sticky keypad keys, and my telecomputing is going to
heck. Can one remove the keycaps without destroying the keys? Come on, open up
and share those personal experiences!

Thanks,
/                                                                             \
|   Dave Schweisguth               5386 Yale Station           203-436-2694   |
|   schdavz@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu    New Haven, CT 06502-5386                   |
|     "When one has much to put into them, a day has a hundred pockets."      |
|                                                -- Friedrich Nietzsche       |
\_____________________________________________________________________________/

mock@iris.ucdavis.edu (Kenrick J. Mock) (06/19/91)

Sure, you can just pry off all the keys with a little screwdriver.
You will want to be careful with the larger keys like spacebar,
enter, shift, zero (on the keypad), etc.  These larger keys have a
little spring behind it.  If you pry them off, it can be tricky
putting the key back on.  The other keys are easy, just press them in.

So, if you are just cleaning, you might want to leave the big keys
inside just take out the little ones.

    "When you make your mark in the world, watch out for guys with erasers."
      - Wall Street Journal.
GEnie : K.MOCK        Net : mock@iris.ucdavis.edu, mock@alderon.lanl.gov

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (06/20/91)

On Tue, 18 Jun 1991 21:05:40 GMT Dave Schweisguth said:
>I have here some very sticky keypad keys, and my telecomputing is going to
>heck. Can one remove the keycaps without destroying the keys? Come on, open up
>and share those personal experiences!

Yes you can.  Just pull them straight up, using some caution.  It's -MUCH-
easier if you open the keyboard first though :)

>|   Dave Schweisguth               5386 Yale Station           203-436-2694   |
>|   schdavz@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu    New Haven, CT 06502-5386                   |
>|                                                -- Friedrich Nietzsche       |
P.S.  You might want to make the lines in your .sig a couple of columns
shorter so they fit into quotes :)

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) (06/20/91)

        Yes they are. Just use a blade or screwdriver to pry up the plastic
key cap and you'll see a small black post sticking up which is the "real"
key. If you open up a large key, like TAB or SHIFT or RETURN, there is a u-
shaped metal thingy, the thickness of a paper clip, which you must remember
to put into the white plastic holders on the key cap.
----
ProLine:  asong@pro-nbs
Internet: asong@pro-nbs.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-nbs!asong
ARPA:     crash!pro-nbs!asong@nosc.mil

avery@netcom.COM (Avery Colter) (06/24/91)

SCHDAVZ@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu (Dave Schweisguth) writes:

>I have here some very sticky keypad keys, and my telecomputing is going to
>heck. Can one remove the keycaps without destroying the keys? Come on, open up
>and share those personal experiences!

YES!!!!!

Recently, one of my shift keys was not working at all. I took some screwdrivers
opened up the keyboard, and took a peek.

Now how did I do this exactly... it can't be that hard, because I got a new
keyswitch from the Used Computer Store, whipped out my soldering iron, and
put the new one in.

I think it's just a matter of desoldering the contacts the keyswitch occupies,
pulling it out through the front of the keyboard, putting the new one in thru
the front, and resoldering.

--
  ^     ^ 	Avery Ray Colter
 /^\___/^\    	avery@netcom.netcom.com		{apple|claris}!netcom!avery