[comp.sys.apple2] IIe to Enhanced IIe

tomj@pnet16.cts.com (Tom Jenkins) (06/19/91)

Could someone post a brief discussion about upgrading a stock IIe to an
enhanced unit?  Does this require a chip or chips?  And if so, what are they
and where can they be purchased?

--Tom

UUCP: humu!nctams1!pnet16!tomj
ARPA: humu!nctams1!pnet16!tomj@nosc.mil
INET: tomj@pnet16.cts.com

$CSB205@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) (06/19/91)

|From:         Tom Jenkins <nctams1!nctams1!pnet16!tomj@HUMU.NOSC.MIL>
|Subject:      IIe to Enhanced IIe

|Could someone post a brief discussion about upgrading a stock IIe to an
|enhanced unit?  Does this require a chip or chips?  And if so, what are they
|and where can they be purchased?

|--Tom

Going from an old //e to an enhanced //e requires a motherboard swap.
The Enhanced //e motherboard contains a r65c02 processor, and changes the
ROMs to support Mousetext characters. I'm pretty sure this can be done for
less than $100 at your Apple dealer, but you can probably get it cheaper
at a mail order place - like Roger Coats - or maybe that used component list
posted here a couple of days ago.

|UUCP: humu!nctams1!pnet16!tomj
|ARPA: humu!nctams1!pnet16!tomj@nosc.mil
|INET: tomj@pnet16.cts.com

--------------------------------   "We were having a great time, but
! Mark Orr                     !    Macintosh wasn't selling that well.
! $CSB205 @ LSUVM.SNCC.LSU.EDU !    The Apple II was paying our way."
!         @ LSUVM.BITNET       !                  - Guy Kawasaki
--------------------------------      From his book: The Macintosh Way

chiu@ucsee.berkeley.edu (06/19/91)

In article <9106190519.AA09423@apple.com> $CSB205@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) writes:

>|From:         Tom Jenkins <nctams1!nctams1!pnet16!tomj@HUMU.NOSC.MIL>
>|Subject:      IIe to Enhanced IIe
>
>|Could someone post a brief discussion about upgrading a stock IIe to an
>|enhanced unit?  Does this require a chip or chips?  And if so, what are they
>|and where can they be purchased?
>|
>|--Tom
>
>Going from an old //e to an enhanced //e requires a motherboard swap.
>The Enhanced //e motherboard contains a r65c02 processor, and changes the
>ROMs to support Mousetext characters. I'm pretty sure this can be done for
>less than $100 at your Apple dealer, but you can probably get it cheaper
>at a mail order place - like Roger Coats - or maybe that used component list
>posted here a couple of days ago.

I fear that you may have been misleaded by someone (an unknowledgable Apple
dealer perhaps?) Upgrade from a IIe to ehnanced IIe requirs mere replacement of
several chips -- character generator ROM (for mouse text), CD, EF ROM
(for new 80-column text firmware; old version contains some annoying bugs)
and a new CPU (65C02).

But if you're talking about from a Rev.A board, that's a whole different
ball game... (sort of)

Interesting thing about the enhancement upgrade -- The 'enhancement kit'
I purchased through mail order did not contain REAL Apple ROM chips!
(well, they certainly did not carry proper copyright stickers), although
they are functionally identical to the real thing. (Why hasn't Apple's
law-suit-happy lawers spring into action, YET?)

>|UUCP: humu!nctams1!pnet16!tomj
>|ARPA: humu!nctams1!pnet16!tomj@nosc.mil
>|INET: tomj@pnet16.cts.com
>
>--------------------------------   "We were having a great time, but
>! Mark Orr                     !    Macintosh wasn't selling that well.
>! $CSB205 @ LSUVM.SNCC.LSU.EDU !    The Apple II was paying our way."
>!         @ LSUVM.BITNET       !                  - Guy Kawasaki
>--------------------------------      From his book: The Macintosh Way

-Dave C.

gray@ibis.cs.umass.edu (Lyle Gray) (06/19/91)

In article <9106190519.AA09423@apple.com> $CSB205@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) writes:

>Going from an old //e to an enhanced //e requires a motherboard swap.

I _assume_ you mean that it requires a swap on the motherboard, not a swap
_of_ the motherboard.  I only had to swap a couple (I'm not sure how many, it
was several years ago) chips on the motherboard to enhance my //e (come to
think of it, I still have the old 6502 chip around here somewhere).

>The Enhanced //e motherboard contains a r65c02 processor, and changes the
>ROMs to support Mousetext characters. I'm pretty sure this can be done for
>less than $100 at your Apple dealer, but you can probably get it cheaper
>at a mail order place - like Roger Coats - or maybe that used component list
>posted here a couple of days ago.

It's a 65C102, but that's minor...  It all makes the //e look a lot like a big
//c.

Lyle H. Gray                        Internet (personal): gray@cs.umass.edu
Quodata Corporation             Phone: (203) 728-6777, FAX: (203) 247-0249

jmh@engin.umich.edu (Jeffrey M. Hansen) (06/19/91)

In article <9106190519.AA09423@apple.com> $CSB205@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) writes:

>|From:         Tom Jenkins <nctams1!nctams1!pnet16!tomj@HUMU.NOSC.MIL>
>|Subject:      IIe to Enhanced IIe

>|Could someone post a brief discussion about upgrading a stock IIe to an
>|enhanced unit?  Does this require a chip or chips?  And if so, what are they
>|and where can they be purchased?

>|--Tom

>Going from an old //e to an enhanced //e requires a motherboard swap.
>The Enhanced //e motherboard contains a r65c02 processor, and changes the
>ROMs to support Mousetext characters. I'm pretty sure this can be done for
>less than $100 at your Apple dealer, but you can probably get it cheaper
>at a mail order place - like Roger Coats - or maybe that used component list
>posted here a couple of days ago.

I think what you mean is that a Revision A motherboard would require the
swap--for a Revision B (which most IIe's are), you just need to buy the
IIe Enhancement Kit (around $50 mail order).  It includes the 65C02,
the CD and EF ROMs, and the MouseText video ROM.  It comes with a chip puller,
so you can do the installation yourself.  If you're not accustomed
to removing and installing chips, your Apple dealer will do it for you (or
should :-)

--
Jeff Hansen                                                          /\
-----------                                          "How's Annie?" /  \/\

$CSB205@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) (06/20/91)

|From:         agate!ucsee.Berkeley.EDU!chiu@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU
|Subject:      Re: IIe to Enhanced IIe

|I fear that you may have been misleaded by someone (an unknowledgable Apple
|ealer perhaps?) Upgrade from a IIe to ehnanced IIe requirs mere replacement o
|several chips -- character generator ROM (for mouse text), CD, EF ROM
|(for new 80-column text firmware; old version contains some annoying bugs)
|and a new CPU (65C02).
|
|But if you're talking about from a Rev.A board, that's a whole different
|ball game... (sort of)

You're right...But I was just relating from my experience. I bought my //e
in early '83 (paid for it before my dealer got his first shipment), so I had
a REV.A board. When I upgraded to a enhanced //e a few years back I remember
the technician say "that motherboard s'gotta go!" I don't know...maybe I got
ripped off.

Why not get a GS motherboard? Maybe he dosen't want one...

|Interesting thing about the enhancement upgrade -- The 'enhancement kit'
|I purchased through mail order did not contain REAL Apple ROM chips!
|(well, they certainly did not carry proper copyright stickers), although
|they are functionally identical to the real thing. (Why hasn't Apple's
|law-suit-happy lawers spring into action, YET?)

Come to think of it...I remember seeing one of those "enhancement kits" at my
dealer. White box...picture of enh. //e motherboards on it (alas it is too
small to contain a motherboard). My //e ROMs don't have stickers on them
either.

|>|UUCP: humu!nctams1!pnet16!tomj
|>|ARPA: humu!nctams1!pnet16!tomj@nosc.mil
|>|INET: tomj@pnet16.cts.com
|-Dave C.

--------------------------------   "We were having a great time, but
! Mark Orr                     !    Macintosh wasn't selling that well.
! $CSB205 @ LSUVM.SNCC.LSU.EDU !    The Apple II was paying our way."
!         @ LSUVM.BITNET       !                  - Guy Kawasaki
--------------------------------      From his book: The Macintosh Way

tomj@pnet16.cts.com (Tom Jenkins) (06/20/91)

Thanks to all that answered.  I now know what it takes!

gtolar@xcluud.sccsi.com (Glynne Tolar) (06/21/91)

$CSB205@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) writes:

> Going from an old //e to an enhanced //e requires a motherboard swap.
> The Enhanced //e motherboard contains a r65c02 processor, and changes the
> ROMs to support Mousetext characters. I'm pretty sure this can be done for
> less than $100 at your Apple dealer, but you can probably get it cheaper
> at a mail order place - like Roger Coats - or maybe that used component list
> posted here a couple of days ago.

Well, enhancing a //e is not quite as radical as you make it.  All that
needs replacing is the 6502 with a 65c02, the Video ROM, and the CD & EF
ROMs.  This can be had two ways; 1) Programs Plus sells the complete
enhancement kit for $49. or 2) get a 65c02 yourself and burn the ROMs.  But
we can't talk about that.  Say, anyone notice Apple is more concerned about
their copyrights then supporting their computers?
> --------------------------------   "We were having a great time, but
> ! Mark Orr                     !    Macintosh wasn't selling that well.
> ! $CSB205 @ LSUVM.SNCC.LSU.EDU !    The Apple II was paying our way."
> !         @ LSUVM.BITNET       !                  - Guy Kawasaki
> --------------------------------      From his book: The Macintosh Way

----
"The foundation of our society and our government rest so much on the teach-
ings of the Bible that it would be difficult to support them if faith in these
teachings would cease to be practically universal in our country."
-- Clavin Coolidge
gtolar@xcluud.sccsi.com <-or-> uunet!nuchat!xcluud!gtolar
I didn't write the organization or path.  I just use it.

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Life...) (06/22/91)

I need a memory refresh :-) does the old Rev. A have DHR capability?  My
sister has the IIe, and I believe I did some DHR graphics on the thing.
When I get my new modem for my IIgs, she'll need an enhanced //e to run
ProTERM.  (She'll get my old DataLink 2400.)

--
///   ____   \\\ "The major problem--one of the major problems, for there are
| |/ /    \ \| |       several--one of the many major problems with governing
 \\_|\____/|_//            people is of whom you get to do it, or more to the
greg \_\\\/ hoss.unl.edu    point, who gets people to let them do it to them."

rkissel@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Richard Kissel) (06/24/91)

Yea,  If you geA+ magazine then inside you can purchase a kit to enhance
your }{e...  There's instructions with the kit on what chip your are
changing out to enhance your }{e.

----
ProLine:  rkissel@pro-odyssey                              | The Odyssey BBS
Internet: rkissel@pro-odyssey.cts.com                      | Fairfield Ca
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!rkissel                        |707-437-4734 (24hours)
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!rkissel@nosc.mil               | 3-9600bps V.42bis