[comp.sys.apple2] FTP

goalie@gnh-starport.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (08/20/90)

What do you mean when you say I can get the file by using FTP?
and is it available on EBBS systems?

Thanks for the help.

Mark Steiger

Proline: Goalie@gnh-starport
Internet: Goalie@gnh-starport.cts.com  or  422-7818@mcimail.com

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (09/25/90)

I don't have FTP access from here.  Is there a server that will FTP another
site for me then mail the files to me?

THanks

Mark Steiger

     [ Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo  218/262-3142     300/1200/2400 baud]

ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo                          America Online: Goalie5
UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin                    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com
ARPA....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin@nosc.mil

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson [Animal]) (09/29/90)

In article <0093D3AA1964BD80.00000110@dcs.simpact.com> penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) writes:

>I don't have FTP access from here.  Is there a server that will FTP another
>site for me then mail the files to me?

Not yet... I've been tossing the idea around in the back of my head for a
couple weeks now, wouldn't be all that hard to construct, given the existence
of a few handy programs like expect and perl.  Once I'm satisfied that the mail
server I'm setting up is running correctly, I'll contemplate adding it.

Speaking of mail servers for archives, I should have one up by the end
of next week (10/5); I'll post a note here when it's ready.

--Chan
    Chan Wilson -- cwilson@nisc.sri.com <!> I don't speak for SRI.
Janitor/Architect of comp.binaries.apple2 archive on wuarchive.wustl.edu
			      "a2fx it!"

CCDAVIS@KSUVM.BITNET (Matt Roth) (10/27/90)

Hello:

I am having difficulties using anonymous FTP.  I call the local
CMS system with 7e1 (the mainframe won't allow it any other way) settings,
ftp to husc6.harvard.edu, and dl a file.  Both ascii and binary setting
have been tried, but after the file is on the vm, and then dl'ed
to my IIe, shrinkit can't seem to recognize the file. BTW, the files
are NOT binscii'ed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please reply by e-mail.

Thanks
Matt Roth (CCDAVIS@KSUVM.KSU.EDU)

troy@cat27.cs.wisc.edu (Troy Jacobson) (03/08/91)

Help!

I'm new to the world of ftp, and there are several programs that I would
like to down load to my apple (laser, actually).

I have access to a unix machine and can "get" files from an ftp to that
machine, either with or without the .Z.  I can dial up to the unix machine
with a 1200 baud modem and proterm.

How do I get the files from the unix machine to my computer in a form that
can be executed?

Thanks
troy

steve@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Steve Fenwick) (06/06/91)

Sorry for my ignorance, but a lot of discussion about "ftp"ing has been
going on.  I know what it means, but how can I connect to one of those
sites that everone says has all these great GS programs?
Right now, I'm connected to a ProLine site in Bloomfield Hills, MI.  Are
there local numbers for some ftp sites that I've heard mentioned?  They
sound like they have a lot to offer.

I feel left out!

Steve

==The Hindu Love Gods BBS - - - - Bloomfield Hills, MI - - - - 313/644-0481===
ProLine: Steve@pro-hindugods     | Internet: Steve@pro-hindugods.cts.com     |
UUCP: crash!pro-hindugods!Steve  | ARPA: crash!pro-hindugods!Steve@nosc.mil  |

parkern@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Neil Parker) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun6.141610.4796@clark.edu> steve@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Steve Fenwick) writes:
>Sorry for my ignorance, but a lot of discussion about "ftp"ing has been
>going on.  I know what it means, but how can I connect to one of those
>sites that everone says has all these great GS programs?
>Right now, I'm connected to a ProLine site in Bloomfield Hills, MI.  Are
>there local numbers for some ftp sites that I've heard mentioned?  They
>sound like they have a lot to offer.

Unfortunately, you can't FTP from Proline sites, or from any other site
that doesn't connect directly to the Internet.

I don't know of any Apple II FTP sites that have a local phone number that
you can call directly.  (I think uunet.uu.net has a 1-900 number, but it
doesn't have any Apple II files.)

If you can send e-mail offsite, then you may be able to get some of the
sites to mail programs to you.  Try sending mail to the following
addresses:

     archive-server@plains.nodak.edu
     For a list of Apple II files, send mail with the following text:
	 index appleII
     (Be sure to capitalize filenames correctly--this site cares about the
     difference between uppercase and lowercase letters.)

     LISTSERV@brownvm.brown.edu  (non-game files)
     LISTSERV@utarlvm1.uta.edu  (game files)
     For a list of Apple II files on either site, send the following
     message:
	  INDEX APPLE2-L

For information on how to get files from any of these sites, send mail with
the following text:
     help

As a last resort, you might also want to try BITFTP@pucc.princeton.edu.
This is a server which will try to get your files by FTP and mail them back
to you.  For information on how to use it, send the message "help".  (I
call this a "last resort" because this is a very popular (and therefore
very heavily loaded) server, and it may take some time for your files to
get back to you.  Also, this was originally intended to be a service for
BITNET users, and it's probably not guaranteed to work for non-BITNET
people.)

               - Neil Parker
--
Neil Parker                 No cute ASCII art...no cute quote...no cute
parkern@jacobs.cs.orst.edu  disclaimer...no deposit, no return...

lwv27@CAS.BITNET (Larry W. Virden) (06/09/91)

NO!  Do NOT attempt FTP by mail.  At least not without getting
permission from your sysop to run up a hundred or more dollars in his
long distance phone bills as well as everyone else's phone bills.

Instead, what you need to do is to ask your Sysop for some proline numbers
which carry comp.binaries.apple2 and its archives.  Then you call them
and spend YOUR money getting the files that way.

The other alternative is to call America Online , Compuserve, etc.
--
Larry W. Virden                 UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27
Same Mbox: BITNET: lwv27@cas    INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu

avery@netcom.COM (Avery Colter) (06/22/91)

Several people were asking last week about FTP capability.

My fellow Apple II types seem honorable enough, so I'll tell you
that if you sign certain little pieces of paper, you can FTP from
Netcom.

Mail to bobr@netcom.netcom.com, tell him Avery sent you, and he will
give you the details.

Yes, Virginia, a pubnet has finally managed to get some limited
connection. (Although we don't have remote finger... at least not yet)

--
  ^     ^ 	Avery Ray Colter
 /^\___/^\    	avery@netcom.netcom.com		{apple|claris}!netcom!avery

PYC121@URIACC.BITNET (Andy Kress) (06/24/91)

    Now that Tybalt is closed for the summer what will be the FTP site
 of choice to upload and download from?  Just curious.

                                       Andy Kress
                                       PYC121 AT URIACC.URI.EDU

             Apple II:  The power to take over the world!