[comp.sys.apple2] Heatseeker & Viruses

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (06/24/91)

I do apologize if anyone, especially Mr.  Curtis, was offended or
insulted by my comments questioning the wisdom of accepting software of
unknown provenance.  (At the risk of offending a whole nationality some
scholarly reference to Greeks bearing gifts would be a propos.)  But I
meant them seriously and none of the few comments I've received change
the situation much.  Jeff claims he is well-known to this list -- that
has to be somewhat of an exaggeration in that in the last month there
have been 1,396 messages posted to it, of which only 8 came from him;
needless to say I would assume most poeple do not read all the traffic
and I certainly didn't associate the Heatseeker announcement with
anything I'd read before.  (I have a GS and don't have Copy II+ so I
wasn't at all interested in any the messages on that subject.)  I have
no reason to doubt that he is an upstanding person with no malicious
intent, but on the other hand I have little solid evidence that he is
who he says he is.  (I'm sure you all remember the kremvax hoax of
several years ago -- one cannot necessarily believe the headers on an
e-mail message.)

In this one case I will grant that I am probably over-reacting -- I'm
pretty sure that if I called Argonne Labs they'd verify they did indeed
have a Jeffrey Curtis working for them, at the phone numbers he gave,
and if I called him I'd find a somewhat justifiably upset person on the
other end who was writing a whizbang Apple II utility he calls
Heatseeker.  But that doesn't really remove all doubts.  The real
question is how cottage-industry software can be developed and
distributed safely so we don't have to continually have this kind of
discussion and so people can use the talents of such people without any
nagging doubts.  (I'm sure you all are aware that most large companies
and government agencies have regulations prohibiting the use of
freeware, shareware, or the like:  if it doesn't come from IBM,
Microsoft, Apple or some similar large publisher, forget it.)

Ted Lee

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) (06/24/91)

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:

>I do apologize if anyone, especially Mr.  Curtis, was offended or
>insulted by my comments questioning the wisdom of accepting software of
>unknown provenance.  (At the risk of offending a whole nationality some
>scholarly reference to Greeks bearing gifts would be a propos.)  But I
>meant them seriously and none of the few comments I've received change
>the situation much.  Jeff claims he is well-known to this list -- that
>has to be somewhat of an exaggeration in that in the last month there
>have been 1,396 messages posted to it, of which only 8 came from him;
>needless to say I would assume most poeple do not read all the traffic
>and I certainly didn't associate the Heatseeker announcement with
>anything I'd read before.  (I have a GS and don't have Copy II+ so I
>wasn't at all interested in any the messages on that subject.)  I have
>no reason to doubt that he is an upstanding person with no malicious
>intent, but on the other hand I have little solid evidence that he is
>who he says he is.  (I'm sure you all remember the kremvax hoax of
>several years ago -- one cannot necessarily believe the headers on an
>e-mail message.)

>In this one case I will grant that I am probably over-reacting -- I'm
>pretty sure that if I called Argonne Labs they'd verify they did indeed
>have a Jeffrey Curtis working for them, at the phone numbers he gave,
>and if I called him I'd find a somewhat justifiably upset person on the
>other end who was writing a whizbang Apple II utility he calls
>Heatseeker.  But that doesn't really remove all doubts.  The real
>question is how cottage-industry software can be developed and
>distributed safely so we don't have to continually have this kind of
>discussion and so people can use the talents of such people without any
>nagging doubts.  (I'm sure you all are aware that most large companies
>and government agencies have regulations prohibiting the use of
>freeware, shareware, or the like:  if it doesn't come from IBM,
>Microsoft, Apple or some similar large publisher, forget it.)
 ^^^^^^^

  Microsoft (perhaps not, but it was a MAJOR software corp) unwittingly
distributed commercial software with a virus.  Even the big names are not
immune to the virus 'epidemic' that has swept the mainstream PC world.

  But the real issue here is this:  who the hell cares enough to write a
virus for the Apple II world?  The people who care about the machine enough
to still program it sure aren't going to waste their time writing a virus.
Your paranoia is not only an insult to Mr. Curtis, it's an affront to Apple II
programmers everywhere.  There is no place for attitudes like yours,
considering the situation the Apple II is in- most useful software written
for IIs these days is written by a core of hobbyists, most of whom expect
nothing in return for their work.
  Put another way, anyone with the technical knowledge necessary to write
a GS/OS virus will also know that there is much more important work to be
done.
  As an aside, there are (in my knowledge) two documented viruses for the
Apple II.  Yeah, that's *2*.  One was years ago, and worked
only on stock DOS 3.3 (evidently this was the first virus in the micro world,
if not the first virus anywhere).  The newer one was Lode Runner, which
judging by it's name, was also in the time frame of DOS 3.3.  The Apple II
world in general has escaped the rash of teenagers with their IBMs.
  Also, the computer virus paranoia has spread beyond the computer world-
the Weekly World News (yes, I know it's a pulp 'zine, just bear with me)
recently published an article entitled "Man catches computer virus". What's
frightening is that people will believe this crap!  In a world where computers
are misrepresented constantly in the media and entertainment industries,
(just watch TV and you'll see impossible things done daily), there is no
room for anything but FACTS.  And the facts are as I have stated above.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               |  "Twenty seven faces- with their eyes turned to
Graduated!/Comp Engineering |    the sky. I have got a camera, and an airtight

marekp@pnet91.cts.com (Marek Pawlowski) (06/24/91)

Jawaid,

   You fail to remind us all of CyberAids and the Festering Hate virus, each
of them were quite malicious on ProDOS.

/* Marek Pawlowski, President, Intelligent Twist Software, 250 Harding  */
/* Blvd., PO BOX 32017, Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4C 9M7, CANADA.        */
/* marekp@gnu.ai.mit.edu, marekp@cerf.net, marekp@pnet91.cts.com,       */
/* marekp@generic.uucp, Voice: (416) 884-4501 4-8pm Toronto time        */
/* "F U cn rd dis U mst Uz Unix" - ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com               */

curtis@achilles.ctd.anl.gov (Jeffrey Curtis ) (06/24/91)

In article <910624033812.116808@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL> TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:
>I do apologize if anyone, especially Mr.  Curtis, was offended or
>insulted by my comments questioning the wisdom of accepting software of
>unknown provenance.  (At the risk of offending a whole nationality some
>scholarly reference to Greeks bearing gifts would be a propos.)  But I
>meant them seriously and none of the few comments I've received change

Apology accepted, and I understand your cautious attitude.  I think
everyone's a little edgy, myself included.

>the situation much.  Jeff claims he is well-known to this list -- that
>has to be somewhat of an exaggeration in that in the last month there
>have been 1,396 messages posted to it, of which only 8 came from him;

I never remember saying I was well-known - in fact, I only got the
Usenet software operational here about a week ago, and I doubt could have
gotten that popular out of eight posts.. B^)

>who he says he is.  (I'm sure you all remember the kremvax hoax of
>several years ago -- one cannot necessarily believe the headers on an
>e-mail message.)

Actually, I don't (see above..).. what was it?

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
+ Jeffrey S. Curtis (708)972-8585 B41801 AT ANLVM curtis@achilles.ctd.anl.gov +
*        Computing and Telecommunications, Argonne National Laboratory 	      *
+  "The opinions expressed above are mine only.  Who else would want them?!"  +
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.070520.23908@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
>  But the real issue here is this:  who the hell cares enough to write a
>virus for the Apple II world?

And the real answer is:  There are people who, for whatever reason, do so.

>As an aside, there are (in my knowledge) two documented viruses for the
>Apple II.

There are at least five that Bredon's Apple.Rx detects and disables, at
least one of them being rather new.

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (06/25/91)

At my company, no disk is inserted in a drive without being scanned for a
virus first, regardless of the source. Do the same thing at home, or
disconnect your HD if you are concerned.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com