[comp.sys.apple2] Epson Driver on Appleworks GS

giovin@medr0.ecs.umass.edu (Rocky J Giovinazzo) (06/24/91)

I had been using the epson driver with my panasonic printer and
grappler c/mac/gs to print multiscribe files with no problem.
However, appleworks gs doesn't seem to work with either the
old or new epson drivers (actually, I'm not sure that the two
I have are different.)

Has anyone used this driver successfully with appleworks GS?
Also, how about anyone who has used the imagewriter driver with
a grappler c/mac/gs?

Rocky Giovinazzo

slhood@bluemoon.uucp (Stephen L. Hood) (06/24/91)

giovin@medr0.ecs.umass.edu (Rocky J Giovinazzo) writes:

> I had been using the epson driver with my panasonic printer and
> grappler c/mac/gs to print multiscribe files with no problem.
> However, appleworks gs doesn't seem to work with either the
> old or new epson drivers (actually, I'm not sure that the two
> I have are different.)
>
> Has anyone used this driver successfully with appleworks GS?
> Also, how about anyone who has used the imagewriter driver with
> a grappler c/mac/gs?
>
> Rocky Giovinazzo

I have been using my Panisonic KX-P1080i printer with AppleWorks GS v1.1
and have experienced the same problem.  I use the Epson printer drivers
and a Grappler C/Mac/GS as well.  I can only get AWGS to print one page at
a time, and sometimes it refuses to print at all.  I don't think that its
a bug in AWGS, as I am usually able to cancel the printing session and try
again.  I have tried *many* times to use the Imagewriter emulation of the
Grappler (the feature that I bought it for!) with the Imagewriter drivers
and AWGS, but the printer either spits out garbage or refuses to do
anything at all.  I'm on the verge of buying Harmonie and a HP DeskJet
500!

Anyone have an answer?

Stephen L. Hood                      "WARNING:  MOS circuits are subject
                                       to damage from static discharge!"
Internet:  slhood@bluemoon.uucp
UUCP    :  ...osu-cis!n8emr!bluemoon!slhood

christob@neabbs.UUCP (TEKSTOTAAL) (06/25/91)

As an answer to your worries I repeat a message I published here a few
days ago and which you might not have seen yet:
Hurrah folks,

at last I found the solution ... for printing TEXT nicely with:

- Apple IIGS
- GS/OS 5.0.4
- NEC P6+ 24-pin printer (emulates Epson LQ 800)
- ParallelPro Interface (Applied Engineering)
- Harmonie 2.0 (Vitesse)
- AppleWorks GS 1.1  (a rather stupid and buggy program by
                      the way; any updates in sight?)

You only have to do the following:

CONTROL PANEL
Port:         ParallelPro
Printer Type: EpsonLQ800

PAGE SETUP
Paper Type:    As you like
Aspect Ratios: Imagewriter Condensed (this concerns only the
               vertical/horizontal DPI ratio, not the type of printer
               installed)
Orientation:   As you like
To Margin:     As you like

With Imagewriter Condensed therefore: Horizontal DPI: 80
                                      Vertical DPI:   72

PRINT
Quality:        180/180
                (360/360 is nice too, but more like boldface)
Rendering:      Internal (essential!)
Paper Feed:     As you like
Page Order:     As you like
Unidirectional: As you like (I can't see a difference)

OTHER MENU: Shading:    2 Tones (important!)
            Contrast:   Medium
            Brightness: Normal
            Dithering:  Checkerboard

As I never use graphics I haven't tried those yet, but judging from
the very decent and fast text output it should be O.K.

christoph bouthillier

(Fido:    2:280/2    c. bouthillier)