[comp.sys.apple2] Binscii Problem on Mac LC with IIe card

buelow@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Kenneth D Buelow) (06/21/91)

I need help from someone who has successfully functioned with binscii.exe
RUNNING ON A MAC LC WITH THE IIE CARD INSTALLED.

I followed the instructions provided by Todd Whitesel on "how to use
binscii".  Had no problems FTPing to the mainframe or downloading the
binscii.exe to my Mac LC, which has the IIe card installed.  I copied
the binscii.exe to a 3.5" diskette and placed it in the single
internal 3.5" drive.

Following the Owner's Manual for the Mac LC IIe card, I placed the Mac
LC in apple IIe "mode" and got the Apple IIe BASIC prompt ( ] ).

Following Todd Whitesel's instructions, I then attempted to EXEC the
binscii.exe file, with the following command given at the ] prompt:

	EXEC BINSCII.EXE           {command was tried all Upper Case;
				    retried all Lower Case           }

All attempts resulted in the "SYNTAX ERROR ??" message.

Again, if anyone has succeeded with the process of accessing IIe files
from the archives and bringing them into the Mac LC/apple IIe card
"environment", I'd really appreciate your help.

I've had considerable success obtaining Macintosh free/shareware for
my LC from the anonymous FTP archives. [And have received A LOT of
great help from responses to earlier USENET requests I made, to solve
my earlier problems; thanks ,again for THAT assistance.] I had planned
to explore this same means of accessing IIe software.  I suspect that
I am not, by any means, alone in my wish to pursue this approach.

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance/info that you can provide.
--
Ken Buelow     University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
               The Graduate School

express@pro-grouch.cts.com (Jeff Goodman) (06/22/91)

I believe that the directions may not have been clear enough.  When you say
EXEC a file from Applesoft basic you mean -filename, you can attempt to run
anything with the - command.

Maybe someone else can confirm what I'm saying though, I don't use
Applesoft all that often, or just try it it won't hurt anything.

wkatz@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (William Katz) (06/25/91)

hello Kenneth,
this reply has nothing to do with the binscii program for your Mac lc,.. i'm
writing this because i noticed your internet account is at the University of
Wisconsin at Milwaukee... I was wondering if you know someone named Elizabeth
Brulla who also attends that college?  she has the same internet address except
her id is lizb@csd4...  well, anyway she wrote mail to my bitnet account,but
my college erased all accounts to make them available for the new semester.. so
now i only have my internet account.. if u get this message, could you email me
a reply? thanks..

hmm, about your Binscii problems:  maybe when you EXECed the BINSCII.EXE file,
it contained unreadable control characters.. that file should be an ordinary
text file, I assume... I have a better program called FAZ2.26.BQY   It lets you
change the file attributes of any ProDOS file.
William Katz  "A good skier"

Internet: wkatz@gnh-applesauce.cts.com