[comp.sys.apple2] Assorted questions/problems

PYC121@URIACC.BITNET (Andy Kress) (06/18/91)

  #1)  Anyone out there with a Sonic Blaster card ever get a microphone to
       work with it?  It works fine with my CD player, tape recorder, and
       even a pair of headphones used as a microphone.  Ive tried several.
       The most recent one is the microphone shipped with the new macs.  Not
       even a hum did it produce through the SB.  So if anyone has a
       microphone that works with the SB could you tell me where you got
       it and the model number or something.

  #2)  Since the first day I got my GS the modem port has done some pretty
       crazy things.  Ive asked about this several times all with dead
       ends.  Seems that some terminal programs screw up big time for me.
       Most notable are Snowterm (which is why I dont use it, Nice program
       John.) and the newest version of Z-link.  Seems when I put either
       of these programs in 7-bit, even parity, either half way through the
       session or when I hang up and try to dial somewhere else the characters
       no longer appear on the screen.  I see the send and receive lights
       blinking away but my screen never sees any of the data.  The only
       way to fix it is to cold start the machine.  It does not happen
       with an older version of Kermit, an old version of Z-link, or anything
       I dont use 7-bits, even parity with(I need these settings in order to
       call the schools mainframe)  What I want to know is if there were
       some defective modem port firmware out there...or if it is a hardware
       problem or any info anyone can tell me.  This is really a pain in the
       butt!

  #3)  Some kind soul got Anet 1.3 for me.  I still can't get the bloody thing
       to pick up the phone!  It usually just lets the phone keep ringing and
       says Connected at 4 baud and sits at the enter user name prompt.  I
       think I should just give up.  It might also be because of problem #2.

  #4)  Have you written your letters to Psygnosis(sp?) yet?  I just sent my
       letter yesterday.  They really do write incredible games.  For those
       of you who have never seen one of their games take a Taito game and
       make it 3 times better and you have a Psygnosis game.

  #5)  Control panel stuff.  If I have just the standard CDevs installed
       no problems.  If I add one, any of the few floating around, then
       the problem.  Open the panel, all looks well, scroll down and then the
       next 4 CDevs device Icons are all screwed up, then the last few are
       fine.  Pesonally I don't get it.  Then I go into the folder, create
       an empty directory, rechoose control panel and all is well(no reboot).
       Then re-boot and all is screwed up again.  Ideas?  Comments?

  Well thats all for now.  If you can help me then please do.  I will be
  eternally greatfull.  No flames about spelling, I dont claim to know how!

                                       Andy Kress
                                       PYC121 AT URIACC.URI.EDU

             Apple II:  The power to take over the world!

taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) (06/19/91)

From PYC121@URIACC.BITNET (Andy Kress):

>  #1)  Anyone out there with a Sonic Blaster card ever get a microphone to
>       work with it?  It works fine with my CD player, tape recorder, and
>       even a pair of headphones used as a microphone.  Ive tried several.
>       The most recent one is the microphone shipped with the new macs.
Not
>       even a hum did it produce through the SB.  So if anyone has a
>       microphone that works with the SB could you tell me where you got
>       it and the model number or something.

    I've used the HyperStudio microphone with my Sonic Blaster successfully
many times in the past.  It's your basic, no-frills, unpowered mike which
probably costs less than $10.  I assume you are using the Sonic Blaster
software and not something like Sound Shop...

> #4)  Have you written your letters to Psygnosis(sp?) yet?  I just sent my
>      letter yesterday.  They really do write incredible games.  For those
>      of you who have never seen one of their games take a Taito game and
>      make it 3 times better and you have a Psygnosis game.

    I haven't seen any Psygnosis games yet, but they write a lot of stuff
for the Amiga, don't they?  I won't write a letter to a game company begging
them to support the GS if I don't even know what their stuff is like.  I'll
take your word that they put out some fabulous games, but I need some
first-hand experience.  You can't write intelligent letters unless you know
what you're talking about...

mock@iris.ucdavis.edu (Kenrick J. Mock) (06/19/91)

Well, I don't know about your other questions/problems, but I've
gotten my Sonic Blaster to work with a microphone.  However, I
couldn't get it to work with a non-amplified microphone.  I have two
microphones - one with a battery to provide amplification, and one
without.  The Sonic Blaster works fine with the battery-powered
microphone, but not with the normal one.

    "When you make your mark in the world, watch out for guys with erasers."
      - Wall Street Journal.
GEnie : K.MOCK        Net : mock@iris.ucdavis.edu, mock@alderon.lanl.gov

kenfair@flammulated.rice.edu (Kenneth Jason Fair) (06/20/91)

In article <eRNR43w162w@micor.ocunix.on.ca> taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) writes:

>> #4)  Have you written your letters to Psygnosis(sp?) yet?  I just sent my
>>      letter yesterday.  They really do write incredible games.  For those
>>      of you who have never seen one of their games take a Taito game and
>>      make it 3 times better and you have a Psygnosis game.
>
>    I haven't seen any Psygnosis games yet, but they write a lot of stuff
>for the Amiga, don't they?  I won't write a letter to a game company begging
>them to support the GS if I don't even know what their stuff is like.  I'll
>take your word that they put out some fabulous games, but I need some
>first-hand experience.  You can't write intelligent letters unless you know
>what you're talking about...

	I'll vouch for Psygnosis.  If you know anyone with an Amiga,
convince them to get Lemmings and see it for yourself.  Lemmings is a
great game in which you have to guide these stupid (REALLY stupid)
purple and green guys (the "Lemmings") to their home.  The tricky part
is that there are all sorts of traps and pitfalls that can kill them.
Your only weapon is the Lemmings themselves, who can dig, build,
climb, and block the others, but only when you tell them to.  The
result is usually mayhem.
	The graphics are cute, especially when the Lemmings get
killed.  It's amazing how bloodthirsty you can get just to see what
happens to the Lemmings!  (Especially when you make a mistake; you can
"nuke" the Lemmings and start the level over.  Literally!!)  All of
this is set to toe-tappin' (their description) tunes and great sound
FX.  Check it out; you'll like it!

Ken Fair
--
KEN FAIR - Rice Physics  #  kenfair@owlnet.rice.edu  #  AOL: Mr Toaster
DISCLAIMER:  I don't need one, so this is a non-disclaimer disclaimer.

asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) (06/20/91)

        Yeah, I just wrote my letter to Psygnosis tonight, and will send it
off tomorrow. I hope they listen. I have heard nothing but good about
Shadow of the Beast!

----
ProLine:  asong@pro-nbs
Internet: asong@pro-nbs.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-nbs!asong
ARPA:     crash!pro-nbs!asong@nosc.mil

andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) (06/21/91)

    I have the Sonic Blaster, and while it is awfully noisy, easily got it
to work with a microphone.  I'm certainly not technically oriented, but all
I used was a standard microphone, the kind with the small, stereo
connector.  Just use the little, thin kind, the same kind that's on your CD
player and tape recorder.  It is very noisy, but it works.  It's probably
better to record what you want to say on a tape recorder, and then digitze
from the tape, directly connected to the Sonic Blaster.  The sound quality
is usually much better that way.

    By the way, for some peculiar reason, the right (the opposite of left)
channel from the Sonic Blaster doesn't play with any programs.  It's not
that it's antisocial; it just doesn't seem to like the right channel.
Also, I can't get HyperStudio to play through it at all.  Any suggestions?

rsopicki@pro-amber.cts.com (System Administrator) (06/23/91)

Could you fill us in a little more on the company and the ware? You have
got my attention 100%!
----
ProLine:  rsopicki@pro-amber
Internet: rsopicki@pro-amber.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-amber!rsopicki
ARPA:     crash!pro-amber!rsopicki@nosc.mil

PYC121@URIACC.BITNET (Andy Kress) (06/23/91)

On Thu, 20 Jun 1991 18:51:04 GMT <info-apple-request@APPLE.COM> said:

>    I have the Sonic Blaster, and while it is awfully noisy, easily got it
>to work with a microphone.  I'm certainly not technically oriented, but all
>I used was a standard microphone, the kind with the small, stereo
>connector.  Just use the little, thin kind, the same kind that's on your CD
>player and tape recorder.  It is very noisy, but it works.  It's probably
>better to record what you want to say on a tape recorder, and then digitze
>from the tape, directly connected to the Sonic Blaster.  The sound quality
>is usually much better that way.
>
>    By the way, for some peculiar reason, the right (the opposite of left)
>channel from the Sonic Blaster doesn't play with any programs.  It's not
>that it's antisocial; it just doesn't seem to like the right channel.
>Also, I can't get HyperStudio to play through it at all.  Any suggestions?

      Since there is no name or address on this message I can't send a reply
 directly.  I had a problem with one of the channels not playing on the SB.
 1)  It could be the software you are using doesn't support sterio.  Get
     something you know does.  (ie. Columns GS, SoundSmith)
 2)  If you are using software you KNOW is in sterio, check the output
     levels on you card.  This is what was wrong on mine. One of the pots
     is damaged and wont output any sound if it is in one certain position.
     So I opened up the GS and fiddled with it till it worked.

                                     Hope this helps!!!

                                       Andy Kress
                                       PYC121 AT URIACC.URI.EDU

             Apple II:  The power to take over the world!

andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) (06/26/91)

    I was the one who asked the question about the Sonic Blaster card.
Thanks for answering my question.  The software that I was referring to
that would not play throug the right speaker of my stereo was supposed to
support stereo.  I figured it must play in stereo, since I could hear most
of the music through the left speaker in my stereo, and I also heard my
Apple IIGS's internal speaker playing what seemed to be the missing sound,
which was supposed to be played through the right speaker.  I messed with
the pot switch on the Sonic Blaster's right speaker control, and it seems
to be playing both channels now.  Thank you for your suggestion and help.