[comp.sys.apple2] nulib question - type II?

sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth D. Kadesh) (06/20/91)

Am I using an old version of nulib, or does shrinkit do some new
stuff?  I have a bunch of files that nulib cannot unshrink, because
they're "type II".  What does this mean?  It's not an important
question, and it's not urgent that I know the answer (just a matter of
convenience for me), but I am curious....

-seth                  tHe mAd ScienTisT, and other carnations
-----------------------
sk2f@andrew.cmu.edu   | everything seems so easy this way but I'm going under
tmSatCMU@DRYCAS.BITNET| fast, I'm slipping away, am I so crazy? - Marillion

dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com (Daniel Zimmerman) (06/24/91)

sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth D. Kadesh) writes:

> Am I using an old version of nulib, or does shrinkit do some new
> stuff?  I have a bunch of files that nulib cannot unshrink, because
> they're "type II".  What does this mean?  It's not an important
> question, and it's not urgent that I know the answer (just a matter of
> convenience for me), but I am curious....
>
> -seth                  tHe mAd ScienTisT, and other carnations
> -----------------------
> sk2f@andrew.cmu.edu   | everything seems so easy this way but I'm going under
> tmSatCMU@DRYCAS.BITNET| fast, I'm slipping away, am I so crazy? - Marillion

Well, when ShrinkIt for the Apple IIGS came out, Andy included a new format of
NuFX compression, LZW/Type 2... I believe that it is a bit more efficient than
LZW. He also slightly changed the format of NuFX archives, to accomodate the
GS/OS feature of FSTs which may or may not enable ShrinkIt GS to shrink files
from other file systems in the future. So, older programs and archive listers
either show blanks when using a GS-ShrinkIt (or ShrinkIt 3.0 or later)
archive, or tell you it is incompatible.

Daniel M. Zimmerman             InterNet - dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com
  TFF Enterprises       America Online - Surak TFF    CompuServe - 76407,2246

"Learn reason above all. Learn clear thought; learn to know what is from what
seems to be, and what you wish to be. This is the key to everything: the truth
of reality, the reality of truth. What IS will set you free."
                                                        - Surak Of Vulcan

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun24.111609.28889@crash.cts.com> dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com (Daniel Zimmerman) writes:

>Well, when ShrinkIt for the Apple IIGS came out, Andy included a new format of
>NuFX compression, LZW/Type 2... I believe that it is a bit more efficient than
>LZW. He also slightly changed the format of NuFX archives, to accomodate the
>GS/OS feature of FSTs which may or may not enable ShrinkIt GS to shrink files
>from other file systems in the future. So, older programs and archive listers
>either show blanks when using a GS-ShrinkIt (or ShrinkIt 3.0 or later)
>archive, or tell you it is incompatible.

Actually, one of the main reasons that I updated the NuFX archive format such
that it forced older versions of shrinkit into showing blanks was so that
you could rename files inside an archive.  You couldn't do that with the
older format and was an oversight on my part when designing NuFX.

andy

--
Andy Nicholas			GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple IIGS System Software		    CompuServe: 70771,2615