[comp.sys.apple2] 3,200 Color Game

andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) (06/24/91)

    Is DreamWorks's 3,200 color Apple IIGS game coming out soon? Is it
really possible to do animation in 3,200 color mode? I think it would be
really neat to see a GS game in 3,200 colors.  Imagine the detail! I heard
about your game but, wasn't sure whether you'd scrapped the project, put it
on hold, or are almost done with it.  How is it coming along?

cmm@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Chris M McKinsey) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun25.070132.9221@clark.edu> andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) writes:

>    Is DreamWorks's 3,200 color Apple IIGS game coming out soon? Is it
>really possible to do animation in 3,200 color mode? I think it would be
>really neat to see a GS game in 3,200 colors.  Imagine the detail! I heard
>about your game but, wasn't sure whether you'd scrapped the project, put it
>on hold, or are almost done with it.  How is it coming along?

Andy,

Don't get your hopes up. A 3200 color game wouldn't be half as neat as you
think. Besides having to have a very small game screen (smaller than the alreadypseudo standardized "Rastan"/"ZanyGolf" game size screen), there are plenty of
color restrictions on any shapes that are moving. If a shape moves up 10 lines,
the colors have all changed, and so the shape looks different. You would have
to make sure that the shapes colors were in every line that it could possibly
be animated to. And then, what do you know ... you don't have 3200 distinct
colors anymore? ;-) And what's more? Having to animate on the GS is slow enough
without having to watch the beam and push palettes on the stack...

Just some things to think about...
cmm

stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Steven T Chiang) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.070132.9221@clark.edu> andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) writes:

>    Is DreamWorks's 3,200 color Apple IIGS game coming out soon? Is it
>really possible to do animation in 3,200 color mode? I think it would be
>really neat to see a GS game in 3,200 colors.  Imagine the detail! I heard
>about your game but, wasn't sure whether you'd scrapped the project, put it
>on hold, or are almost done with it.  How is it coming along?

	<Ahem>, that's DreamWorld.  Actually, we were never working on
a 3200 color game, but rather a 3200 color paint program.  The demo
3200 color title screen was for a 256 color game, called Ragnarok.

	As for animation in 3200, it's possible to a certain extent...
if you look at DG.Demo.3, you'll see some animation...  A 3200 color
game is possible, but with limited animation.

Steven Chiang                  Coming Soon:  DreamGrafix  3200 color power
stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
America On_Line:  DWS Steve    Apple IIgs Forever!