[comp.sys.apple2] Still looking for Rastan

HL00@NS.CC.LEHIGH.EDU (Sheng) (06/22/91)

Well, I've checked with just about every place I know and no one
has Rastan anymore... anyone willing to sell me their copy?

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (06/23/91)

In article <22069109.39.19HL00@lehigh.bitnet> HL00@NS.CC.LEHIGH.EDU (Sheng) writes:
>Well, I've checked with just about every place I know and no one
>has Rastan anymore... anyone willing to sell me their copy?

The Big Red Computer Club bought up all of Taito's remaining IIGS inventory.
I saw their ad in a recent magazine, perhaps A+.

vandamme@pnet91.cts.com (Alex Bosika) (06/24/91)

Hi there. Is not the Big Red Computer Club still selling off copies of that
game or have they run out of Taito's stock? Was there ever a reason given by
Taito Corp. about why they pulled out? I assume that they were not making
money or they just felt that their goals should be based on much broader
horizons like the Nintendo and SEGA systems as well as arcades. Is this a
Japanese or American company?

Another thing I am curious about. Was there ever a game released on the GS
based on Star Trek in some way. Action or Adventure-wise? If so, is it still
being sold somewhere. If so, could someone be kind of enough to provide me
with an address of the place selling such a product in email or on here.

Alex.

PS: I made a mistake when I first got access on here by writing a message to
someone on here that was more useful in email than on the nets. I am sorry for
this, as I was unaware of the actual workings (or shall I say, etiquette) of
the nets.

Thanks for the help and any suggesttions.

Apple II Forever!

UUCP: torag!pnet91!vandamme
INET: vandamme@pnet91.cts.com

$CSB205@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) (06/24/91)

 .NET>

|From:         Alex Bosika
|              <news-server.csri.toronto
|              .edu!utgpu!utzoo!utdoe!generic!pnet91!vandamme@UUNET.UU.NET>
|Subject:      Re: Still looking for Rastan

|Another thing I am curious about. Was there ever a game released on the GS
|based on Star Trek in some way. Action or Adventure-wise? If so, is it still
|being sold somewhere. If so, could someone be kind of enough to provide me
|with an address of the place selling such a product in email or on here.

Star Trek, you ask? Why yes.

There is a GS shareware graphic Trek game circulating around. Big Red has been
advertizing it for months in inCider/A+. I may have seen it on an FTP site
or two (check the upload section in UMICH). I recall it requires 1.5 Megs and
GS/OS 5.0.4.

As for other Trek games there is the old Integer BASIC Apple-Trek (text, but
still one of the best). There was Rainbow Computing's Super Stellar Trek
(w/ Klingon Commanders and Romulans, not very robust though). The Trek
adventure game "The Kobyashi Alternative" was ported to Apple //es. But I don't
think that "Star Trek - TNG : The Transinium Challenge" was ever ported (PCs
and C64s only). But these aren't GS specific.

|Apple II Forever!
|
|UUCP: torag!pnet91!vandamme
|INET: vandamme@pnet91.cts.com

--------------------------------   "We were having a great time, but
! Mark Orr                     !    Macintosh wasn't selling that well.
! $CSB205 @ LSUVM.SNCC.LSU.EDU !    The Apple II was paying our way."
!         @ LSUVM.BITNET       !                  - Guy Kawasaki
--------------------------------      From his book: The Macintosh Way

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (06/25/91)

In article <882@generic.UUCP> vandamme@pnet91.cts.com (Alex Bosika) writes:
>Was there ever a reason given by Taito Corp. about why they pulled out?

I haven't heard one, but note that it was ALL computer lines, not just the
Apple II.  I think a safe assumption is that they decided they could make
more money by concentrating on the Nintendo-style market.

>Another thing I am curious about. Was there ever a game released on the GS
>based on Star Trek in some way.

I have two commercial Star Treks for the Apple II (not GS-specific), as I
recall (not being near my software at the moment) published by one of the
traditional book publishers.  I didn't think they were very interesting,
but a true Trekkie might enjoy them.  Then there are Trek-inspired games
such as Reach For The Stars (3rd Edition), published by SSI for the IIGS.
I imagine you can find that at any of the major Apple II mail-order outfits.

$CSB205@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) (06/25/91)

|From:         Doug Gwyn <adm!smoke!gwyn@NYU.EDU>
|Subject:      Re: Still looking for Rastan

|>Another thing I am curious about. Was there ever a game released on the GS
|>based on Star Trek in some way.
|
|I have two commercial Star Treks for the Apple II (not GS-specific), as I
|recall (not being near my software at the moment) published by one of the
|traditional book publishers.  I didn't think they were very interesting,
|but a true Trekkie might enjoy them.  Then there are Trek-inspired games
|such as Reach For The Stars (3rd Edition), published by SSI for the IIGS.
|I imagine you can find that at any of the major Apple II mail-order outfits.

Forgive me for picking nits, but I'd hardly call RFTS (published by the
Strategic Studies Group - SSG, not Strategic Simulations Inc - SSI) a trek-
inspired game. It's more an automated version of a board-style wargame, which
existed long before any trek game was ever devised. I have several games of
the RFTS genre - RFTS old and new, The Cosmic Balance, Imperium Galactum, etc.
These games are more heavily weighted on building up industries/ resources.
RFTS is, for example, quite weak in the combat department (how many you have
vs. how many he has). Trek games have an entirely different feel to them,
i.e. you have to manage available energy, shields, photon torpedoes, phasers...
all the grunt work of combat.

As for the Trek adventures (i.e. Kobyashi Alternative, Transinium Challenge),
They're nothing to get worked up over. If you have a GS, the new shareware
Classic Trek should fill the bill. As for the older 8-bit treks, Apple-Trek,
the integer BASIC trek that came on cassette with my computer is one of the
best that I have seen. Rainbow's Super Stellar Trek, a graphic version of
mainframe Super Trek '76, is a superior game but I think it's kinda buggy.
(crashes just a bit too easily for my taste)

I just thought of another one...Anyone remember the Starfleet Mission
Simulator (an adaptation of a vector graphics arcade game). It's okay.

--------------------------------   "We were having a great time, but
! Mark Orr                     !    Macintosh wasn't selling that well.
! $CSB205 @ LSUVM.SNCC.LSU.EDU !    The Apple II was paying our way."
!         @ LSUVM.BITNET       !                  - Guy Kawasaki
been getting quite sick of A+ for their extraordinary bias of the Apple II and
sudden love of the Macintosh. I think it would be almost beneficial for us
die-hard II users, that A+ go away like a good little dog, and let someone
like GS+ take the market nicely. Even A-2 would be great but then, these
things can turn costly and I am not sure those two would be interested in such
a grandiose scheme.

Logic at Apple Canada....our CEO, David Rae on Apple II's: "Apple II's just
aren't selling anymore". Prior to this comment, he talks about Apple's
strategy to sell Mac LCs to schools in Canada so that they can utilize the
wealth of software available for the II with the purchase of the IIe card. Is
there something wrong with this picture? Ask David Rae, our inventory manager
at Apple Canada.

What do the people think about this proposed detente, shall we say, between
Apple and IBM. Apple gets RISC technology and IBM get propietary software from
Apple to jumptstart their OS/2 operating system after numerous failures.
Microsoft stands to lose quite a bit as does Intel. Motorola gets into the big
leagues. I don't like it. It smells fishy and possibly disable's Apple's
strategy to continue to innovate for the "rest of us". Sculley seems to think
it will make them more competitve. There are no scared cows, according to him.
It spells trouble in my opinion.

Read it in the great mag, Businessweek. Last weeks...IBM woes...this
week's..Apple and IBM in one of the longest cold wars.. :)

Alex...

The Apple II lives on.....

UUCP: torag!pnet91!vandamme
INET: vandamme@pnet91.cts.com

rsopicki@pro-amber.cts.com (Randy Sopicki) (06/26/91)

One small correction, Reach for the Stars is put out by SSG not SSI.
----
ProLine:  rsopicki@pro-amber
Internet: rsopicki@pro-amber.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-amber!rsopicki
ARPA:     crash!pro-amber!rsopicki@nosc.mil

daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com (Dave Harvey-SysAdmin) (06/26/91)

>Hi there. Is not the Big Red Computer Club still selling off copies of that
>game or have they run out of Taito's stock? Was there ever a reason given by

They've completely sold out of their remaining stock, according to the last
newsletter.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv                    |
uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv          |   Pro-novapple BBS
arpa: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil |  300/1200/2400/9600 Baud
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com           |    703-671-0416

Northern Virginia Apple Users Group               |
P.O. Box 8211, Falls Church, VA 22041             |