[comp.sys.apple2] LOTS of questions...

silver@skid.ps.uci.edu (Silver Singer) (06/26/91)

I've been doing lots of downloading recently, and am having some
problems with many of the things I've downloaded.  Maybe someone else
can help me out..?

My system consists of a ROM 3 IIgs, with TWGS, and a 2meg Juice Plus
memory card.

The base part of the problem, is that the terminal program that I
have, ASCII Express' MouseTalk, seems to be alright but not superior
for downloading.  The only method I find even halfway reliable is to
receive in the binary mode, Christenson, 1K blocks.  I send from my
Unix host using the command 'sx -bk', and usually have varied success.
I usually have to break down shrinkit'd and binscii'd into the
smallest pieces they can be, 16,782 characters long.  For long files,
this can be annoying.  For anyone with MouseTalk, what do you use to
download?  I have a couple files from the tybalt UPLOADS directory
that aren't binscii'd, so I can't break them up, and they stubbornly
won't download, no matter what I try.  It's frustrating to try to
download a 3000 block file and have it die at 2400 or so.

In case there is no better mode to use, I'm stuck.  Is there a Unix
utility which automatically breaks a large file up into chunks, so
that I don't have to do it manually?  I know about sciibin, and I use
it, but I run into the same problem as above..it doesn't always
download properly, and there's no way that I know of to break the file
into smaller pieces.  So I'm stuck usually breaking a 300K file into
16K pieces and downloading each separately.  Help!

Now, as to some files I *have* downloaded...I tried downloading
several other terminal programs, like SnowTERM and FreeTERM, but
haven't managed to get them to operate.  If they don't just freeze the
screen up, they don't function properly.  How should I set these up?

I just downloaded One Arm Battle, and when I click on it from the
system disk, it loads for a few seconds, then kicks me into the
monitor.  What's going on?  I have system disk version 5.0.3, if that
helps.

And for that matter, how do I make a program on 3.5" self-starting?
Or am I stuck putting the system disk in before I use anything?  I
downloaded ZLaunch, but I can't get it to work except by putting in
the system disk in first, which really is defeating the purpose of a
program launcher.

I think this is enough questions for a start.  Someone please help!

-Chris
---
 \  //\-\    Chris the Silver Singer    silver@skid.ps.uci.edu
  \/o  \/-\   (Silver Singer the Silver Unicorn)
  /  _)  \-\   May the ground run swiftly beneath your feet...
 (__/ )____\-\  And someday find your dreams are within your reach.

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (06/27/91)

In article <silver.677887363@skid.ps.uci.edu>,
silver@skid.ps.uci.edu (Silver Singer) writes:
> My system consists of a ROM 3 IIgs, with TWGS, and a 2meg Juice Plus
> memory card.

Try Yanking the TWGS and trying the programs again, this could be a source
of problems.

> The base part of the problem, is that the terminal program that I
> have, ASCII Express' MouseTalk, seems to be alright but not superior
> for downloading.  The only method I find even halfway reliable is to
> receive in the binary mode, Christenson, 1K blocks.  I send from my
> Unix host using the command 'sx -bk', and usually have varied success.
> I usually have to break down shrinkit'd and binscii'd into the
> smallest pieces they can be, 16,782 characters long.  For long files,
> this can be annoying.  For anyone with MouseTalk, what do you use to
> download?  I have a couple files from the tybalt UPLOADS directory
> that aren't binscii'd, so I can't break them up, and they stubbornly
> won't download, no matter what I try.  It's frustrating to try to
> download a 3000 block file and have it die at 2400 or so.

I used to use Mousetalk and had various levels of incompatibilities between
it and other computers.  But I never experienced your problem.  I use ProTERM
now so I can't help you there.

> Now, as to some files I *have* downloaded...I tried downloading
> several other terminal programs, like SnowTERM and FreeTERM, but
> haven't managed to get them to operate.  If they don't just freeze the
> screen up, they don't function properly.  How should I set these up?

SnowTerm doesn't have any transfer protocols so that won't help you.  I
forget what FreeTerm has.  Try yanking the TWGS and try them again.

> I just downloaded One Arm Battle, and when I click on it from the
> system disk, it loads for a few seconds, then kicks me into the
> monitor.  What's going on?  I have system disk version 5.0.3, if that
> helps.

I have no idea here.  TWGS?  I can use One Arm Battle just fine with a
ROM 01 and 2.25Megs.

> And for that matter, how do I make a program on 3.5" self-starting?
> Or am I stuck putting the system disk in before I use anything?  I
> downloaded ZLaunch, but I can't get it to work except by putting in
> the system disk in first, which really is defeating the purpose of a
> program launcher.

In the days of DOS 3.3, when you booted a disk, it would look for a program
whose name was stored in the boot track.  Then it would run that program.
This was usually a Binary or Applesoft program.

When ProDOS came around, when the disk was booted, it then looked for a
program called PRODOS which it would then execute.  If the file PRODOS was not
found, you were out of luck.  There are currently two PRODOS programs.  One for
booting into ProDOS 8 and one for GSOS.  When you have the ProDOS 8 program
named PRODOS, it will then run the ProDOS 8 program, show some text on the
screen, and then the first program in the root directory of that disk ending in
'.SYSTEM' would be run.  Thus, if you wanted to have a disk boot straight into
basic, on that disk you would put ProDOS 8 (named PRODOS) and the BASIC.SYSTEM
program.

When GS/OS came along, this introduced a new PRODOS program.  This one is much
smaller than the ProDOS 8 program because it quickly passes control to some
other programs.  All of these reside in the SYSTEM subdirectory of the boot
disk.  When all of these programs are done running, they then run a program
called START in the system subdirectory.  This 'START' program is anything you
want it to be.  On the system disk, the Finder is renamed to START and placed
in the system subdirectory.  If you want GS/OS to run another program first
instead of the Finder (your program launcher for instance), you rename it to
START and put it in the system subdirectory.  This program can be either a
ProDos 8 program (type SYS) or a GS/OS program (type S16).  If no Start program
exists when the disk is booted, GS/OS will run the first program in the
root directory ending in either .SYSTEM or .SYS16

Thus, to make a program called HYPER boot, you would have the following on
your disk.

PRODOS
/SYSTEM
  /DESK.ACCS
    any desk accs.
  /FONTS
    any fonts
  /SYSTEM.SETUP
    containing tool setups and such
  /TOOLS
    containing all tools
  /DRIVERS
    containing disk drivers
  START.GSOS
  /FSTS
    containing any FSTS
  plus some other system files
HYPER.SYS16

That is how you create a boot disk.

--
Joel Sumner                     GENIE:JOEL.SUMNER     This .sig may not be used
q4kx@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu   q4kx@cornella         for public viewing or