[comp.sys.apple2] SUPPORT APPLE...even when you're not.

lazer@lablues.UUCP (Patrick Delahanty) (06/26/91)

PLEASE READ THIS!!!  READ THIS!!!

I know a lot of people have an Apple and something else...be it IBuM, Mac,
or Commodore (snicker).  Still want to help support Apple ][ when you get
stuff for that OTHER computer?  I sure as hell do!

I'm going off to college at WPI next year and will have an IBuM.  :(  When I
buy games...er...programming utilities...I will only order from mail order
houses that support Apple ][.  And I will TELL the mail order house that
that's why I'm ordering from them and not from their competitor.  So even
when I'm getting stuff for another computer, I'll let them know I'm an Apple
][ user.

One of my other neat tricks is to phone a place like Egghead and say
something like, "Hello.  I was wondering if you carried SimCity for IBM."
"...You do...great!  And do you have Publish It! 4 for Apple ][?"  "...no?!
Then forget it...I'll shop someplace where I can get both."  I know it's
kinda mean and nasty...but so were they for dropping Apple ][ right!?  :)

-Lazer

In article <m8J642w164w@lablues.UUCP> lazer@lablues.UUCP (Patrick Delahanty) writes:
>I'm going off to college at WPI next year and will have an IBuM.  :(  When I
>buy games...er...programming utilities...I will only order from mail order
>houses that support Apple ][.  And I will TELL the mail order house that

	That is kind of an interesting idea, and better than nothing, but
I'd like to ask you something.

	WHY do you (think) you need an IBM?

	"because everyone else at college will have one?"  BIG F'in' deal!
(and it's not really true either).

	"because all of the labs at school will have IBMs?"  Well,
there will probably be lots of IBM clone labs, but I would put money on
there ALSO being lots of Mac labs and general terminal labs.

	I have gone through 4 years of college just fine with my GS.
I bet that a lot of your "semi-serious" (i.e. not playing games) use of
your computer will be basically as a dumb-terminal to get onto UNIX, etc.
Obviously, the Apple II (or any computer, but I've never found a program
that comes close to ProTERM on any computer) will suffice for that.

	You will probably be doing a lot of your programming on UNIX
too, so the fact that more C compilers exist for the IBM isn't really
a point either.

	I'm just really curious. When people "abandon" the Apple II,
I hope they do it at least semi-intelligently. (Well, you can't
intelligently abandon the Apple II, but you get my idea).

	And if you reallyreally need an IBM for something, what's
wrong with the PC Transporter?
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|