[comp.sys.apple2] Compilers for the GS...

gypsy@silver.lcs.mit.edu (The Gypsy) (06/25/91)

Sorry about this double-port, but I forgot something else...

Which (in your opinion, anyone) are the best compilers (for Pascal and for
C) for the Apple IIgs?  Orca?  APW? Others??

Also, if possible, please let me know the current VERSIONs they are selling.

Thanks (again!)...

 \ The Gypsy               gypsy@silver.lcs.mit.edu               The Gypsy /
 /                 "Can I play with Madness?" - Iron Maiden                 \

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun25.060623.17445@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>,
gypsy@silver.lcs.mit.edu (The Gypsy) writes:
> Which (in your opinion, anyone) are the best compilers (for Pascal and for
> C) for the Apple IIgs?  Orca?  APW? Others??
>
> Also, if possible, please let me know the current VERSIONs they are selling.

I would recommend Orca/Pascal v1.3.  It is not as 'slick' as complete pascal
but it is much better and more stable.

Orca/C is the only 'C' to my knowledge that takes advantage of the IIgs
processor so I think that is your only option.

--
Joel Sumner                     GENIE:JOEL.SUMNER     This .sig may not be used
q4kx@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu   q4kx@cornella         for public viewing or

cmm@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Chris M McKinsey) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun25.060623.17445@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> gypsy@silver.lcs.mit.edu (The Gypsy) writes:
>Sorry about this double-port, but I forgot something else...
>
>Which (in your opinion, anyone) are the best compilers (for Pascal and for
>C) for the Apple IIgs?  Orca?  APW? Others??

The best in my opinion are from the ByteWorks. Orca/C and Orca/Pascal. I believe
Orca/C is at v1.2, and Orca/Pascal -- gosh. I don't really recall. Anyone else
remember?

cmm

sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth D. Kadesh) (06/26/91)

I don't have it yet, but I've heard good things about Complete Pascal
2.0 (used to be TML Pascal).  Don't let the old company name turn you
away - Complete Technology is under new management.

-seth                  tHe mAd ScienTisT, and other carnations
-----------------------
sk2f@andrew.cmu.edu   | everything seems so easy this way but I'm going under
tmSatCMU@DRYCAS.BITNET| fast, I'm slipping away, am I so crazy? - Marillion

stug@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Stu Graves) (06/27/91)

In my opinion TML Pascal II is the best Pascal compiler.  I like the fast
compile and link times (I have not seen better compile and link times with
any other GS compiler).

TML II also has a built in resource editor that life a lot easier.  I don't
believe that there can be many people still defining their windows, menus
etc in code anymore.

--
                         stug@pro-palmtree.cts.com
  -- The Palmtree BBS  (213) 450-9394  300-9600 v.32/42bis, MNP 1-5 --