[comp.sys.apple2] system 6 delayed ?

sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth D. Kadesh) (06/20/91)

I want to say this is a rumor, but it's not, really.  I spoke to some
developers, and they said that system 6 PROBABLY won't be released
until January '92, or thereabouts.  No release at KansasFest, although
there will be lots of developer stuff released.  I'm going to try and
be there myself....

-seth                  tHe mAd ScienTisT, and other carnations
-----------------------
sk2f@andrew.cmu.edu   | everything seems so easy this way but I'm going under
tmSatCMU@DRYCAS.BITNET| fast, I'm slipping away, am I so crazy? - Marillion

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) (06/21/91)

sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth D. Kadesh) writes:

>I want to say this is a rumor, but it's not, really.  I spoke to some
>developers, and they said that system 6 PROBABLY won't be released
>until January '92, or thereabouts.  No release at KansasFest, although
>there will be lots of developer stuff released.  I'm going to try and
>be there myself....

   Rumors being what they are, I was hoping for but not expecting System 6
at the 'Fest.  However, fact has it that there will be a tremendous new
wave of developers at the Expo (including two graphics cards, a DSP card,
a multitasking replacement for Orca, and possibly the ASIC).

--
Jawaid Bazyar               |  "Twenty seven faces- with their eyes turned to
Graduated!/Comp Engineering |    the sky. I have got a camera, and an airtight

asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) (06/24/91)

        Graphics cards? Do you mean resolution enhancement?
----
ProLine:  asong@pro-nbs
Internet: asong@pro-nbs.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-nbs!asong
ARPA:     crash!pro-nbs!asong@nosc.mil

andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) (06/24/91)

    I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what's a DSP card? Thanks for enduring
me.  Please excuse those of us on this network who are not as technically
oriented as most of you.  Like me. :)

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) (06/25/91)

asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) writes:

>        Graphics cards? Do you mean resolution enhancement?

   Like 640x400 or better... one of them is rumored to use an IBM VGA
chipset, so it's possibly got up to 1024x768...

--

cmm@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Chris M McKinsey) (06/25/91)

>>        Graphics cards? Do you mean resolution enhancement?
>
>   Like 640x400 or better... one of them is rumored to use an IBM VGA
>chipset, so it's possibly got up to 1024x768...

Yes, there are several in the works. And I can think of two that have been
done for almost a year. Both have resolution enhancement, but it's most likely
we'll never see enhanced res. on the GS because nothing will be able to handle
it. But graphics acceleration... now that's another story. :-)

cmm

asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) (06/27/91)

        Are you serious!!??! Get real! :) So technically the IIgs IS
upgradeable in video resolution like the IBM?

        So we could buy this "card" and BAM!, 640x400 (or better)? I
suppose we would have to buy a new monitor. Where would we get that? Would
a Macintosh monitor work or what?

----
ProLine:  asong@pro-nbs
Internet: asong@pro-nbs.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-nbs!asong
ARPA:     crash!pro-nbs!asong@nosc.mil

asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) (06/27/91)

        DSP means Digital Signal Processing. The only thing I've heard
about it is on the new Acura Vigor GS sound system, where it can "tweak"
the electronic sounds to make it seem as if the radio was playing is a
stadium, or church, or arena, or den, etc. Anyone else?
----

$CSB205@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) (06/28/91)

|From:         Andi Song <asong@PRO-NBS.CTS.COM>
|Subject:      Re: system 6 delayed ?

|        Are you serious!!??! Get real! :) So technically the IIgs IS
|upgradeable in video resolution like the IBM?
|
|        So we could buy this "card" and BAM!, 640x400 (or better)? I
|suppose we would have to buy a new monitor. Where would we get that? Would
|a Macintosh monitor work or what?

If I were a contributing editor to inCider like GREG KEIZER I'd say:
   "NO NO NO There is absolutely no possibility of improving the Apple II
in any way. If you want more resolution or better graphics YOU ABSOLUTELY
MUST MUST MUST BUY A MAC (hint hint)"

But I'm not.

I have, in fact, spoken on this many times. I am contiually shocked at how
few have realized this. Over the years there have been quite a few cards
that boost the graphics speed or resolution on an Apple II (the Number Nine
Graphics Card, the Synetix SuperSprite, the Third Millenium Arcade Board,
the Demco Graphics Workshop board, ALF ADGS-1, TurboREZ, etc. NOTE: these
are all long off the market, or never were marketedin the first place.)

The difference with this one (if it is in fact a card) is that it may be
"officially recognized." (that dosen't mean supported)

|ProLine:  asong@pro-nbs
|Internet: asong@pro-nbs.cts.com
|UUCP:     crash!pro-nbs!asong
|ARPA:     crash!pro-nbs!asong@nosc.mil

--------------------------------   "We were having a great time, but
! Mark Orr                     !    Macintosh wasn't selling that well.
! $CSB205 @ LSUVM.SNCC.LSU.EDU !    The Apple II was paying our way."
!         @ LSUVM.BITNET       !                  - Guy Kawasaki
--------------------------------      From his book: The Macintosh Way