[comp.sys.apple2] Rumors 'n Things

ujmurphy@KING.MCS.DREXEL.EDU (Jim Murphy) (06/26/91)

        Here's an interesting bit that expands upon some of the rumors I've
been hearing over the past few months. I just read in this week's issue of
MacWeek (Don't even think I subscribe - we get it at work :) Notice the
strangely positive attitude. It's quite interesting when a Mac magazine starts
talking about Apple II rumors, eh?

        "Apple itself isn't above taking a gamble now and then. While lesser
minds might think the Mac LC is the perfect home color computer, there are some
fairly well-paid individuals at Apple who haven't forgotten the Apple IIGS.
Although the street price of LCs is hovering just below $1,700, the IIGS is
languishing at traditional computer specialty stores everywhere.

        To correct this situation, Apple is exploring options that no upscale
computer manufacturer has considered before. Specifically, some within Apple's
marketing hierarchy have convinced themselves that a 40-Mbyte color Apple IIGS
system would be just the ticket for the home market if it were sold at the
right price - say, about $1,500 - and through the right channels. In this case,
the right channels under consideration reportedly include the American Express
catalog and cable TV's bizarre Home Shopping Network. There's even talk of
opening an Apple company store..."

        Now, do as all good Apple II users should and take this as it is - a
rumour. :-)

Jim Murphy                             "I know that you believe you understand
Internet:  ujmurphy@mcs.drexel.edu     what you think I said. But I am not sure
GEnie:     J.MURPHY7                   you realize that what you heard is not
AOL:       Jim Murphy                  what I meant."

rsopicki@pro-amber.cts.com (Randy Sopicki) (06/27/91)

This sounds like alot of the other rumors that have "leaked" from Apple.
I'll believe it when I see it.
----
ProLine:  rsopicki@pro-amber
Internet: rsopicki@pro-amber.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-amber!rsopicki
ARPA:     crash!pro-amber!rsopicki@nosc.mil

asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) (06/27/91)

        Do you think that this is just a stock ROM 3 IIgs (65816, 2.6mhz)
with a 40-meg internal hard drive...or the new 640x400 resolution IIgs+?
----
ProLine:  asong@pro-nbs
Internet: asong@pro-nbs.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-nbs!asong
ARPA:     crash!pro-nbs!asong@nosc.mil

ujmurphy@KING.MCS.DREXEL.EDU (Jim Murphy) (06/28/91)

In a recent message asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) said in reply to a
snippet I posted from MacWeek:

>        Do you think that this is just a stock ROM 3 IIgs (65816, 2.6mhz)
> with a 40-meg internal hard drive...or the new 640x400 resolution IIgs+?
> ----
> ProLine:  asong@pro-nbs

     Firstly, and most importantly, THIS WAS A RUMOR! Nothing more, nothing
less. I never said it was going to happen, and it just may not. I probably
shouldn't spread rumors anymore, since everyone seems to take them as the
gospel truth. Stop it! :-)

     Secondly, I also never said "internal 40-Meg hard drive". You've inferred
that, and it is impossible to glean such a bit of information from mere rumor.

     Finally, what's the deal with "...or the new 640x400 resolution IIgs+"?
Have you turned wishful rumor-thinking into fact? As far as it goes, there is
no such beast as a 604x400 mode IIGS. There may have been experimentation into
such a beast at one time (or so say _other_ Apple rumors) but the likelyhood of
seeing such a machine in the near-term is slim at best.

     Remember, a rumor isn't fact. Look it up.