[comp.sys.apple2] Soundsmith

crew@pro-harvest.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) (08/09/90)

>>   Will Sound Smith .7 run on a ROM 3 GS with 1 Meg RAM?

>Easily.

>What I want to know is, does .9 or .94 run on a bare ROM 3...

>Todd Whitesel
>toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

   Well, I have a 1 (okay 1.125) Meg ROM 03 GS, and can't get Sound Smith to
even boot. I've tried it with and without Tool #69 installed on my system disk
when I boot up. Could you tell me exactly what you do to run it? I'm launching
from the Finder (was there a problem with that, I can't remember), and running
system 5.0.2.
 ________________________                          _________________________
|                         ProLine: crew@pro-harvest                         |
|                    Internet: crew@pro-harvest.cts.com                     |
|                       UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!crew                        |
|                  ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!crew@nosc.mil                    |
|_______________ BITNET: crew%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil _________________|

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (08/10/90)

crew@pro-harvest.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) writes:

>   Well, I have a 1 (okay 1.125) Meg ROM 03 GS, and can't get Sound Smith to
>even boot. I've tried it with and without Tool #69 installed on my system disk
>when I boot up. Could you tell me exactly what you do to run it? I'm launching
>from the Finder (was there a problem with that, I can't remember), and running
>system 5.0.2.

SoundSmith doesn't need Tool #69 to run -- Parik Rao wrote that to encourage
other people to include SoundSmith music in their own programs. (If it didn't
crash so often, it might catch on.)

We'd need some more info about your setup before we can help.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

crew@pro-harvest.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) (08/15/90)

   More info? Okay. I finally got SS .7 to run, it seems that it just didn't
like the Finder. If I place the SS files in the System folder of a stripped
system disk, it boots okay.
   Now, I can't get SS .94 to boot. I've tried running it from the Finder and
I either get a $0201 memory error, or the system freezes while the text screen
that is shown between apps is on. I've tried placing it on a boot disk, and
even though the file SNDSMITH.SYS16 is in the main directory, I get "Unable to
find a .SYS16/.SYS/.SYSTEM" sort of error, and sometimes error $63 (I think).
   I suspect a lack of memory (of course), but it is still kinda weird. My
system is:

ROM 3 GS
1.125 Meg RAM
Booting from a 3.5" drive
Running Sys 5.0.2
 ________________________                          _________________________

crew@pro-harvest.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) (08/18/90)

>>Speaking of Soundsmith.  Will V0.94 work on a 1.125 meg, Rom 3 machine
>>with one 3.5" drive.  I'm copying it for a friend and since I have a
>>HD-based, Rom1 with 2.25 meg I can't test what he'll be seeing.

>The only report I've heard so far is that it doesn't quite fit. However, we
>may be able to strip down the system folder so that there is just enough
>memory
>left -- I don't have ready access to a ROM 3 so I can't do much more than
>speculate.

>Todd Whitesel
>toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu
Add message
Subject: Sound Smith
Network message: enter text, end with "." on a new line.

:
   I have been trying to create a really minimal system disk for that purpose.
I have only the 3.5" and Console drivers, no DAs, fonts, etc. I removed the
CDev Init, etc. It still is short memory. I think SS .94 needs more that a
standard ROM 3 machine has, but is REALLY close.

P.S. Why did I get the "Add message, Subject: Sound Smith, Network message..."
text in this post? Does it have something to do with the way ProTERM sends
ASCII text?
 ________________________                          _________________________

THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET ("Throop,Henry B") (11/11/90)

Robert MacAusland writes:
> The thing about SS I really have is that it doesn't allow you to vary the
> duration of the note.  Also, for some bizarre reason, notes played on the
> left end of the scale have a much longer duration than notes on the right
> hand end.

These two things go together.  Soundsmith varies the frequency of the note by
simply playing the (fixed byte-length) sample at a higher or lower rate;
notes on the left end are the same sample but played slower.  This causes the
frequency to be lower, and because it takes longer to play the same number of
bytes, the length is longer.  Varying the note length independently would
entail either chopping off the sample after a length of time, or somehow
compressing the same sample into a shorter time, with the same frequency.
Obviously this can be done, as programs like synthLAB do, but I'm not sure
exactly how that works.

Btw, Music Studio uses the same method of playing ASIF as SS does.

--
Henry Throop
THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (11/12/90)

From THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET ("Throop,Henry B"):

> These two things go together.  Soundsmith varies the frequency of the note
> by simply playing the (fixed byte-length) sample at a higher or lower rate;
> notes on the left end are the same sample but played slower.  This causes
> the frequency to be lower, and because it takes longer to play the same
> number of bytes, the length is longer.  Varying the note length
> independently would entail either chopping off the sample after a length of
> time, or somehow compressing the same sample into a shorter time, with the
> same frequency. Obviously this can be done, as programs like synthLAB do,
> but I'm not sure exactly how that works.

    Your description of SoundSmith's sample playback is essentially correct.
It simply speeds up or slows down the sample to produce the correct pitch,
hence the play time is either shortened or lengthened.

    More advanced sound generation software (like synthLAB) use multiple
samples of the same instrument to produce the sound.  These samples are taken
at different octaves, because you can't simply play back an instrument at a
higher speed to increase the pitch.  Every try playing a really high note
using the Piano in SS or Music Studio?  Instead of a high piano note, you get
this dinky little "plink".  Some people call this the "Mickey Mouse effect".
Instead of speeding up a sample, synthLAB grabs the next higher sample of the
piano and plays it back, giving you truer sound.

    synthLAB can also sustain a note because you can specify how to loop the
two oscillators to produce an instrument.  It gets pretty technical at this
point (just look at Screen 2 of synthLAB...), so I won't try to explain it.  I
think this is how most professional synthesizers work.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
/   Lives On!!   \ |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |

jackg@pro-ldmcts.com (System Administrator) (12/31/90)

In trying to run the Soundsmith program I keep getting "could not load
tools.  Error was $0046".  Could someone please tell me what tools I'm
missing?   Thanks in advance...
----
ProLine:  jackg@pro-ldm
Internet: jackg@pro-ldmcts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-ldm!jackg
ARPA:     crash!pro-ldm!jackg@nosc.mil

cmparris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Chris Michae Parrish) (02/08/91)

  I am having trouble getting soundsmith to run now that I have gotten rid of m
hard drive.  What system disk, tools, etc. are needed to run the program? (is
it even possible to run it from a single drive system?)

 Second question: How can I get ahold of toolbox ref 3?  do I have to join the
APDA?

Chris Parrish
cmparris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (02/09/91)

From cmparris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Chris Michae Parrish):

>   I am having trouble getting soundsmith to run now that I have gotten
> rid of my hard drive.  What system disk, tools, etc. are needed to run
> the program?

    An off-topic question:  why on earth did you get rid of your hard drive???

>  Second question: How can I get ahold of toolbox ref 3?  do I have to
> join the APDA?

    Assuming it's available from Addison-Wesley (i.e.: out of beta format by
now hopefully), you should be able to order it at any large bookstore.
Developer's Tools Express also carries the GS tech manuals.  I don't think you
have to be a member of APDA to buy from DTE.

Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)

stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Steven T Chiang) (02/10/91)

>From cmparris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Chris Michae Parrish):
>  Second question: How can I get ahold of toolbox ref 3?  do I have to
> join the APDA?

	You can also get Toolbox ref 3 from A2-Central.  The number is
easy to remember 913-469-6502...  it's $40 and well worth it.  It's
like 1000 pages, and it is in final form.

 _______________________________________________ _______________
| Steve Chiang      Apple //gs Forever!         | Coming Soon:  |
| Columbia University in the Harlem area  :P    |  DreamGrafix: |
| Internet       :  stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu |   3200 color  |
| America_Online :  DWS Steve                   |     power     |

gsi@graphics.rent.com (Gs Infinitum) (06/28/91)

You have to I think .94 to copy the .95 files to the disk to have it
work right, I had got the update files and copied it to my .94 version
and it works with no problem....