[comp.sys.apple2] PaintWorks Gold patch

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (06/25/91)

Is there a patch to make paintworks gold work under GS/OS?  (sorry, I'm
too lazy to try to find out exactly what version numbers I have of
everything.)  I think there's been something here, but I couldn't find
anything in the last several months of trafffic

TMPLee@dockmaster.ncsc.mil

asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) (06/26/91)

        Get the May 1989 issue of InCider/A+ (The Russian Apples issue) and
look in the Apple Clinic. There is a patching program there, although it
has never worked for me!
----
ProLine:  asong@pro-nbs
Internet: asong@pro-nbs.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-nbs!asong
ARPA:     crash!pro-nbs!asong@nosc.mil

stug@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Stu Graves) (06/27/91)

Yes there is a patch for Paintworks Gold to run under GS/OS.  Unfortunately
I can't be more help than that because I don't have either but I do
remember reading about it.

--
                         stug@pro-palmtree.cts.com
  -- The Palmtree BBS  (213) 450-9394  300-9600 v.32/42bis, MNP 1-5 --

jpenne@ee.ualberta.ca (Jerry Penner) (06/28/91)

Here is a message from ages ago for the Paintworks Gold patch.  I've
been using it for years with this patch and 'no problemo Uncie Herb'.
:-)

Patch was written by Jason Harper.

Search the program file for the bytes C9 08 00 D0 CE, and change the
$08 to a $7F.  It's trying to allocate a 640K block of contigious memory,
and is only checking in the first 512K of your computer for the start of
such a block: this renders any memory beyond the 1.125MB (512+640K)
point unusable by the program.  With the patch, it will (hopefully) keep
on looking for a suitable block throughout the computer's installed RAM.

--
Jerry Penner		  | jpenne@bode.ee.ualberta.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada |  OR  alberta!bode!jpenne