[comp.sys.apple2] Speed

cs4w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles William Swiger) (09/22/90)

>If it is speed you want, then why not get a 486. The >386/486 are
probablythe best price/performance >computers you will find if speed is
the only issue, >which I do not agree with.

[ lots of good comments about software, OS, and Apple's people deleted ]

>Philip McDunnough
>University of Toronto
>philip@utstat.toronto.edu

Without trying to argue about machine A being better for reaon B than
machine C, here is a price/performance list for a coupla machines that I
know:

DEC 3100 w/ B&W 1024x768 pixel display:
$16000 / 14 MIPS = $1150 / MIP

IBM 386 (Model 80?) w/ VGA color (640x400) display:
$4500 / 1.5 MIPS = $3000 / MIP

Apple Mac //ci w/ 4-bit color (640x400) display:
$5500 / 2.0 MIPS = $2750 / MIP

Commodore Amiga w/ 4-bit color (640x200?) display:
$2500 / 1.0 MIPS = $2500 / MIP

Apple //gs w/ 4-bit color (320x200) display:
$2500 / .35 MIPS = $7100 / MIP

The prices were taken from the best that I could get out of CMU's
computer store including serious educational discounts.  (And may not
reflect the prices you see in your local store....)  It indicates a
complete "reasonable" system, including comparable displays (well, as
best as can be done) and mouse, keyboard, ~40 MB hard drive, printer,
etc.  The MIPS (Millions of Instructions Per Second) figures is based on
what I recall from a bunch of magazine tests, and very approximately
indicates the computer's "speed" and "performance".

Speed is most certainly not the most important aspect of a system, but
still, a quick glance shows a disparity.  (I admit that it is unfair to
compare the //gs to a DEC 3100, but it does show a nice price /
performance ratio. :-)

I wonder why Apple doesn't redesign the //gs in order to provide certain
basic improvements into the Apple //gs.  These are some of the things
that I'd like to see, or have heard other people wish for....

Considering that many (most?) people buy a Transwarp for $300 running at
about 8 MHz, and some a 68881 coprocessor card that is available for
$250 or so:

Apple could build a //gs with at least an 8 MHz CPU, main memory, ROM,
etc, that would add less to the cost of the machine than a Transwarp.
This would make a serious improvement in the //gs' performance.

Apple could include a socket on the motherboard for an optional math
co-processor chip (such as the 68881) and design the SANE toolset to
take advantage of such a co-processor rather than executing the
torturously slow emulation thereof, greatly improving the speed of SANE
calculations....

Apple could make some very needed improvements at the same time:

>> like adding built-in stereo output with a decent internal amp (and an
analog volume control like the //c), rather than the $50 dollar cards
now required

>> redesigning the Mega II

>> adding a seperate SCSI connector on the "fast" side, not running
through a 1 Mhz slot, thus not forcing people to buy that $129 dollar
Apple SCSI card in order to operate a hard drive efficiently

-- Charles William Swiger
    cs4w+@andrew.cmu.edu

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (09/22/90)

Charles William Swiger <cs4w+@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Apple could include a socket on the motherboard for an optional math
> co-processor chip (such as the 68881) and design the SANE toolset
> to take advantage of such a co-processor rather than executing the
> torturously slow emulation thereof, greatly improving the speed of
> SANE calculations....

Actually, although there isn't a socket for a math coprocessor chip, I
do know of a floating point CARD for the IIgs that (in)SANE supports.  I
don't remember what it's called; it's mentioned in the ORCA/C manual.
Incidentally, ORCA/C can generate code that bypasses (in)SANE and calls
the FP card in question directly.
-----------------
Jeffrey Hutzelman
America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet/BITNET:jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu, jhutz@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu

cs4w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles William Swiger) (09/23/90)

>> Apple could include a socket on the motherboard for an optional math
>> co-processor chip (such as the 68881) and design the SANE toolset
>> to take advantage of such a co-processor rather than executing the
>> torturously slow emulation thereof, greatly improving the speed of
>> SANE calculations....

>Actually, although there isn't a socket for a math coprocessor chip, I
>do know of a floating point CARD for the IIgs that (in)SANE supports.  I
>don't remember what it's called; it's mentioned in the ORCA/C manual.
>Incidentally, ORCA/C can generate code that bypasses (in)SANE and calls
>the FP card in question directly.

Yes, I know.  I mentioned it two paragraphs earlier....

It's called the Floating Point Engine, for about $250, was advertised in
conjuction with Byte Works Orca/C, and uses a 68881.  It (supposedly)
has a patch for the SANE toolset that will send SANE requests to the
68881.

>"Jeffrey T. Hutzelman" <jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu>

-- Charles William Swiger
    cs4w+@andrew.cmu.edu

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (09/26/90)

You forgot one really recent important one:

NeXTstation w/B&W 1120x832:
$4995 / 15 MIPS = $333 / MIP

Educational pricing should be at $3200, and I've heard that's it's even
as low $2995.

Lots of good thoughts deleted.

-k

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/29/90)

In article <MayeQd600Vp015aV50@andrew.cmu.edu> jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) writes:
>Actually, although there isn't a socket for a math coprocessor chip, I
>do know of a floating point CARD for the IIgs that (in)SANE supports.  I
>don't remember what it's called; it's mentioned in the ORCA/C manual.
>Incidentally, ORCA/C can generate code that bypasses (in)SANE and calls
>the FP card in question directly.

There are at least two such add-on math coprocessors, but the one that
ORCA/C supports is Innovative Systems' Floating-Point Engine (FPE).
It works very well, but early versions of the TransWarp/GS were
incompatible with it.  A PAL upgrade for the TWGS along with a TWGS
board modification (lifting pin 1 of U22; get AE to do this for you
unless you are really good at such things) solves the compatibility
problem, or at least it did for mine.

Innovative Systems is a small outfit based somewhere in Maryland;
ByteWorks sells their FPE card and that is perhaps the easiest way
to obtain it.  A 3.5" utility disk is included that contains
diagnostics, installation tools, etc. plus benchmarks and a little
module that AppleSoft BASIC programs can load to obtain FPE power
for the programs.  On a IIGS, one also installs an INIT file that
arranges to intercept SANE tool calls and handle them via the FPE.
Any SANE-using application will thus automatically benefit from the
FPE.  The additional support in ORCA/C (and possibly ORCA/Pascal, I
forget) bypasses SANE and directly accesses the registers associated
with the slot that the card is installed in.  Such code will not work
if copied to a IIGS that is missing the FPE or has it in another slot;
however, if the application is for one's own personal use this is not
an issue.

If you have a floating-point intensive application on your IIGS that
desperately needs to be sped up, I highly recommend the FPE.  It is
usable on an 8-bit Apple, too, as noted above, although it takes a
fairly high degree of expertise to utilize it from assembly language.

In article <13961@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>  On a IIGS, one also installs an INIT file that
>arranges to intercept SANE tool calls and handle them via the FPE.
>Any SANE-using application will thus automatically benefit from the
>FPE.

	Just wondering if people knew of any GS programs that -DO- use SANE.
Does AppleWorks GS??? If not, what does?

--
/pqbdpqbdpqbd   Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu   dbqpdbqpdbqp\
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/30/90)

In article <7324@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>In article <13961@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>Any SANE-using application will thus automatically benefit from the FPE.
>	Just wondering if people knew of any GS programs that -DO- use SANE.

Yes!  In fact, in experimenting with the effect of the FPE, I found that
SANE was sometimes used in applications where you might guess otherwise.
For sure it's used for floating-point applications compiled (for example
by ORCA/C) without enabling the special FPE support.

One of the benchmarks on the version of FPE software that I received was
a Mandelbrot-set image generator.  Because the computational kernel of
the program is, essentially,

	for each pixel(i,j):
		cx = min_x + i * step
		cy = min_y + j * step
		zx = zy = 0
		iter = 0
		repeat:
			x = zx * zx - zy * zy + cx
			zy = 2.0 * zx * zy + cy
			zx = x
			iter = iter + 1
		until zx * zx + zy * zy >= thresh or iter >= max_iters
		assign color[iter] to pixel(i,j)

there is obviously a LOT of floating-point computation involved in
producing the whole image (max_iters is typically 1000).  Thus this
program provides a nice practical demonstration of the effects of the
FPE.  I don't recall the exact timings, but the in-line FPE use
reduced the running time from something like an hour to something like
less than a minute; the improvement was quite dramatic.

cs4w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles William Swiger) (10/01/90)

>	Just wondering if people knew of any GS
>programs that -DO- use SANE. Does AppleWorks GS???
>If not, what does?

Most of the simulation programs available for the //gs use SANE.  (Sub
Battle Simulator, Destroyer, Tomahawk, Silent Service, etc)  You need to
do a bunch of trig calculations for dealing with objects in motion thru
a 3d space.  Also, the display would also need to use trig stuff in
order to get the perspectives right.

AppleWorks GS probably also uses SANE.

Any math intensive program (a spreadsheet perhaps) would.

-- Charles William Swiger
    cs4w+@andrew.cmu.edu

crew@pro-harvest.cts.com (Chris Wicklein) (12/30/90)

>In almost every generation of Intel chips since then the capabilities of the
>chips have increased and NOT by just the clock speed. There are some
fanatical
>Apple // people who seem to remember that original benchmark and extrapolate
>it
>to mean that a 2.8MHz GS is equivalent to a 12Mhz 286. It just isn
>so. The 65816 unfortunately doesn't do 16bit data transfers...all at once
that
>is. The 286 has a 16bit bus and CAN do 16 bit data transfers that way. SO it
>is
>somewhat faster than the 65816.

        A 2.8MHz GS is about as fast as a 7.7 MHz '286, and an 8MHz GS is
about as fast as a 22MHz '286. Note I'm not comparing the 65816 to the 80286.
I'm comparing the '816, GS design, GS/OS, Toolbox effeciency, etc. to the
'286, IBM AT design, MS-DOS, etc. to gauge over-all preformance. Alot of the
GS's edge is granted by effie
efficient QuickDraw routines and carefull assembly programming by dedicated
individuals. That's the bottom line when it comes to who's faster.
 ________________________                          _________________________
|                         ProLine: crew@pro-harvest                         |
|                    Internet: crew@pro-harvest.cts.com                     |
|                       UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!crew                        |
|                  ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!crew@nosc.mil                    |
|_______________ BITNET: crew%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil _________________|

PYC121@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) (06/28/91)

   Saw a note that was saying Orca/C is fast and someone basically laughing
 at that statment.  Here's something I noticed...not to do with Orca/C.
   When I first got my GS it came with Prodos16 version 3.1(I think).  I
 thought it was great!!  I used it all the time and it never bothered me.
 Then GS/OS 4.0 came out....didn't seem like much of an improvment but I
 used it.  Then I went back and used Prodos16 for something and gagged!!!
 It was unbearibly slow.  The same thing happened when 5.0 came out.  If
 you use 5.04 and really want to torture yourself try booting Prodos16
 and then go crazy!  Now my latest experience with this is having a HD and
 a ZipGS.  I have the Zip configured to off and let the INIT turn it on on
 boot.  Well I re-formatted my HD and had booted off a floppy so the Zip
 wasn't on....A) The boot was slow from a floppy and B) The desktop was
 unbearably slow too!  I immeadiatly installed the init on the floppy
 and re-booted.  Much better.  The funny thing is when I first put my Zip
 in I didn't see any apparent increase...I was going to return it cause
 it didnt do anything for the price I paid.  BOY was I WRONG!  So the
 hole point of this note is to say you get used to things.  I think my
 GS screams along because I am used to it with a Zip, HD, and 5.04.  When
 6.0 comes out and I get a faster HD someday my current set up will be
 so slow I cant use it.  Ok...Im done!

 +--------------+-------------------------+----------------------------+
 |  Andy Kress  |  Univ. of Rhode Island  |  PYC121 AT URIACC.URI.EDU  |
 +--------------+--------+----------------+----------------------------+
 |  No, it's not a Mac.  |  Apple II: The power to rule the world!!!   |
 +-----------------------+---------------------------------------------+

benson@vuse.vanderbilt.edu (Paul Benson) (06/29/91)

In article <9106281226.AA20421@apple.com> PYC121@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) writes:

> The funny thing is when I first put my Zip
> in I didn't see any apparent increase...I was going to return it cause
> it didnt do anything for the price I paid.  BOY was I WRONG!
>
> +--------------+-------------------------+----------------------------+
> |  Andy Kress  |  Univ. of Rhode Island  |  PYC121 AT URIACC.URI.EDU  |
> |  No, it's not a Mac.  |  Apple II: The power to rule the world!!!   |

Actually, I think these accelerator cards are _fake_.  What they really do
is make your machine run slower in 'GS normal' mode and at about .2 MHz for
'1 MHz' mode.  So 'fast' mode is really the standard 2.8 MHz for the GS.

I'm _kidding_!
--
  Paul 'BaJa' Benson
  Vanderbilt University