[comp.sys.apple2] POSTSCRIPT

philip@pro-generic.cts.com (Philip McDunnough) (04/07/90)

How does one create a Postscript file on a GS under System5.02? I tried the
usual command-f/k "trick" but while the GS did indicate "creating a Postscript
file", I couldn't find it!

   Philip McDunnough      E-mail: philip@utstat.toronto.edu
   University of Toronto
   [my opinions]

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (04/12/90)

philip@pro-generic.cts.com (Philip McDunnough) writes:
> How does one create a Postscript file on a GS under System5.02? I tried the
> usual command-f/k "trick" but while the GS did indicate "creating a Postscript
> file", I couldn't find it!
>
>    Philip McDunnough      E-mail: philip@utstat.toronto.edu
>    University of Toronto
>    [my opinions]

The Postscript file produced by the Laser Driver in GS/OS 5.02 is
located in the /system/drivers/ folder and called POSTSCRIPT.GS##
where the ## is a count of how many such files there are, the highest
number being the most recent file created.

I have been using this method for quite a while, since my office is
not wired for appletalk yet. However, I have found that I cannot use
any fonts by this method except for Times, Geneva, and Courier. All
other fonts in a document seem to default to one of these when the
document is printed as a postscipt file. Is this intentional? Or am I
doing something wrong?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Jeremy Mereness                  |   Support     | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet)  |     Free      |  The above represent my|
|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet)  |      Software |  opinions, alone.      |
|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U. |               |  Ya Gotta Love It.     |

dhom@spica.acs.calpoly.edu (David Hom) (04/13/90)

In article <Aa9==7i00VQF46KKF=@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) writes:
>philip@pro-generic.cts.com (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>> How does one create a Postscript file on a GS under System5.02? I tried the
>I have been using this method for quite a while, since my office is
>
>not wired for appletalk yet. However, I have found that I cannot use
>any fonts by this method except for Times, Geneva, and Courier. All
>other fonts in a document seem to default to one of these when the
>document is printed as a postscipt file. Is this intentional? Or am I
>doing something wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong.  The GS laserwriter driver is just making
some assumptions on font names and getting them wrong.  All you need to do
is edit the font names in the postscript files to the name of the fonts
in your printer.  For example,  if you want to use AvantGarde Bold,  the
GS laserwriter driver assumes the name is AvantGarde-Bold.  Well,  if you're
downloading to an NTX,  the built-in font name is AvantGarde-Demi.  Since
postscript can't find AvantGarde-Bold it defaults to courier.

Assuming your using a Mac to print,  use Adobe's Send PS program to list the
fonts in your printer.  Then copy them exactly (Postscript is case sensitive).
Then on your GS, create your postscript output and edit the text files,
ensuring the font names in your document match the font names in your printer.

There is a technote describing the GS laserwriter driver.  I think it talks
about why the driver gets font names wrong.  I can't remember the number of the
technote.  Anyway,  I do this all the time without problems.  Send me mail if
you can't get it to work.

Dave
dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu
SLO Kid on America Online
DHOM on GENIE

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (04/13/90)

In article <Aa9==7i00VQF46KKF=@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) writes:
>philip@pro-generic.cts.com (Philip McDunnough) writes:

>not wired for appletalk yet. However, I have found that I cannot use
>any fonts by this method except for Times, Geneva, and Courier. All
>other fonts in a document seem to default to one of these when the
>document is printed as a postscipt file. Is this intentional? Or am I
>doing something wrong?

Nothing wrong except that... well, the LaserWriter only accepts fonts
supported in the RAM/ROM of it's own memory. If it found a name of font
in the postscript file you send to it while that name is not supported by
the printer, then printer replace that font by default. Or, the name of
the font in the file generated by your //gs is a "bit" different from what
printer recognizes.

--
cyliao@wam.umd.edu     		o NeXT :  I put main frame power on two chips.
      @epsl.umd.edu		o people: We put main flame power on two guys.

evan@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Evan Ron Aussenberg) (04/13/90)

Lets talk LW drivers for a sec.  Jeremy at CMU says he's using the LW driver
to print to a file since he doesn't have appletalk online:  Or does he
(Do you Jeremy?) My LW driver (from 5.02) doesn't show up under the
direct connect Cdev, and the LW Cdev can't find any laser printers online
since, ofcourse, I don't use AppleTalk.

Is it possible to use the 5.02 driver w/o appletalk to print a PS file??
I've been using the 4.0 LW driver that DOES show up under the Direct
Connect Cdev.

-------------

Let's talk PS printers for a sec.  Does anyone have experience printing
GS PostScript files to a PrintServer 40 printer??  I can get pictures
to print, or if I make the LW driver imbed the GS font into the ps file,
I can get an uchy printout.  I can't seem to get the PrintServer 40
to print text using it's OWN fonts:  I do know the names it looks for,
and I've edited ps files knowing case context is important.  What
happens is that the PS-40 will print nada.

I'm about to start comparing PostScript files that I know work (online
mainframe docs) with my GS PostScript files.

I hope I've been coherent enough for 2:45am... I was just working at my
Dad's office... he's a CPA :-)

	-Evan / evan@Unix.cis.pitt.edu / IN%"evan@pittvms.bitnet"

In article <23519@unix.cis.pitt.edu> evan@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Evan Ron Aussenberg) writes:

>Lets talk LW drivers for a sec.  Jeremy at CMU says he's using the LW driver
>to print to a file since he doesn't have appletalk online:  Or does he
>(Do you Jeremy?) My LW driver (from 5.02) doesn't show up under the
>direct connect Cdev, and the LW Cdev can't find any laser printers online
>since, ofcourse, I don't use AppleTalk.
>
>Is it possible to use the 5.02 driver w/o appletalk to print a PS file??
>I've been using the 4.0 LW driver that DOES show up under the Direct
>Connect Cdev.

Under 5.0.2,  the LW driver looks for Appletalk and if it doesn't find AT, it
won't show up.  All I did was rename my LW driver from "laserwriter" to
"postscript".  The driver no longer looks for AT and I can now choose it as
a direct connect printer.  I guess the OS is hardcoded to require appletalk
if a driver named "Laserwriter" is present.

Dave
dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (04/14/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.apple2: 13-Apr-90 Re: Postscript Evan Ron
> Aussenberg@unix (1249)

> Lets talk LW drivers for a sec.  Jeremy at CMU says he's using the LW
> driver
> to rrint to a file since he doesn't have appletalk online:  Or does he
> (Do you Jeremy?) My LW driver (from 5.02) doesn't show up under the
> direct connect Cdev, and the LW Cdev can't find any laser printers online
> since, ofcourse, I don't use AppleTalk.

I have Appletalk switched on in the control panel as well as all the
necessary drivers from the Installer for Laserwriter support. When I
print, I have to throw the Open-Apple-F key within a second or two or
the machine will all of a sudden find out that there is nothing
connected to my Appletalk port and complain. As long as things move fast
enough, I can get the postscript file printed without too much trouble.

I still have my font troubles, especially because I do NOT use a mac...
I upload the files to a Unix Workstation that my apple is hooked to via
the terminal port. Then I run a trivial binary on it called macps that
makes the file ready to be downloaded to an Apple Laserwriter on the
network. The Laserwriter is an NTX, which should have all sorts of neat
fonts in it, like Palatino and Zapff Chancery. But they aren't
recognized from my machine and are defaulted to courier or helvetica.

Isn't the GS supposed to be able to download bitmaps of fonts that
laserwriters aren't familiar with? or does there have to be
communication between GS and laserwriter in order for this to happen?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^
|Jeremy Mereness                  |   Support     | Ye Olde Disclaimer:
  |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet)  |     Free      |  The above represent
my|
|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet)  |      Software |  opinions, alone.
  |
|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U. |               |  Ya Gotta Love It.

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (04/14/90)

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) writes:

System 6.0 feature I hope they include:

	POSTSCRIPT FILE GENERATION FROM THE PRINT DIALOG!!

OA-F is reasonable but shouldn't be necessary... who'd figure it out if they
didn't ask?

Also, hardcoding the system to not fire up a driver called 'laserwriter' if
Appletalk is not present sounds yucky to me. There should be an option of
the driver ITSELF to optionally start up if Appletalk is not present.
Especially because Appletalk may not be present when the system boots, but
will be plugged in later. Serial ports & ADB are very robust in that you
can plug and unplug them while the system is on -- this convenience is MUCH
appreciated.

>I still have my font troubles, especially because I do NOT use a mac...
>I upload the files to a Unix Workstation that my apple is hooked to via
>the terminal port. Then I run a trivial binary on it called macps that
>makes the file ready to be downloaded to an Apple Laserwriter on the
>network. The Laserwriter is an NTX, which should have all sorts of neat
>fonts in it, like Palatino and Zapff Chancery. But they aren't
>recognized from my machine and are defaulted to courier or helvetica.

You need to change the names of the font definitions with a text editor...
whoever wrote thte laserwriter driver for 5.0 messed up on some of the
font names, it seems. There's a technote about it -- when are we going to
see a fix? I certainly wouldn't mind installing a patched laserwriter driver
myself, the IIGS Installer is severely brain dead and I wish I could help
rewrite it to support patched drivers, better version checking, and most of
all -- SINGLE DRIVE SYSTEMS.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) (04/14/90)

In article <1990Apr13.200226.24696@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:

   System 6.0 feature I hope they include:

	   POSTSCRIPT FILE GENERATION FROM THE PRINT DIALOG!!

   OA-F is reasonable but shouldn't be necessary... who'd figure it out if they
   didn't ask?

here's a bit of mac info that relates to this request.

Apparently, many people have requested this for the Macintosh print
dialog.  The solution might apply to the GS print dialog as well.

Apparently, the resource file for the print dialog does contain a
check box for printing postscript to file, but the control is hidden
and disabled.  Check out the Laserwriter driver with ResEdit some
time.  Maybe they did the same thing with ther GS Driver...

-Paul Nakada
pnakada@oracle.com

ISSLTC@NUSVM.BITNET (Lim Thye Chean) (06/20/91)

In order to test whether Apple IIGS can print to PostScript and transfer
to Mac successfully, I have been doing some testing these few days.
I am using AWGS page layout, word processing module, and GraphicWriter
III. If you are interested, please read on.

The procedure is the same. Change LaserWriter driver's name to
PostScript, reboot, select PostScript from Control Panel (All these
done only once), launch into program, set page setup to A4 condensed,
print to PostScript by pressing Open Apple-F while clicking OK.

Here are my results:

* GraphicWriter III document did not work. End of story.

* The font test on the following fonts: Avant Garde, Bookman, Courier,
  Helvetica, New Century Schoolbook, Palatino, Times and Zapf Chancery.
  Only Times, Helvetica and Courier print correctly, the rest are being
  substitute by Courier.

* On my page layout document - two page, two bit-mapped graphics, one
  rectangle box title (just above one of the bit-mapped graphics), text
  in Times, and contain header and footer. All 4 margins have been
  truncated slightly, so header, footer, about a character on both left
  and right side did not print out.

* Besides, the rectangle overlap the bit-mapped graphics below it (in
  which they should not have). Although text is fully justified, on 3
  lines, the text is longer than the rest of the line.

* The other test: change the above document page setting to US Letter
  while the document remain in A4, header appeared, some text lost on
  the bottom (that includes the footer), but now both left and right
  margin text appeared. The rest of the problem I mentioned above
  remained.

I hope anybody can give me some suggestion. The print out is really
fantastic and is MUCH better than the print out I obtained from Harmonie
or Independence printing on DeskJet. I hope to have a nice printout, and
willing to do testing and share the experience to everybody, and make GS
a much useful machine. Thanks.

                      *** Apple IIGS Forever ***

    If I could turn back the clock, I would still buy an Apple IIGS.
                      Contact me at ISSLTC@NUSVM

       Lim Thye Chean - Lim is my surname. My name is Thye Chean.

ISSLTC@NUSVM.BITNET (Lim Thye Chean) (06/21/91)

This is an answer to the reply I got on the net (remember I cannot reply
directly becuase I did not subscribe to this net)...

* Just make everything double size to get condensed print. When porting
  graphics, press option while PLACING the graphics. It will be auto-
  matically double height. Nice huh? Just hope next release of AWGS will
  have a full text mode and normal mode, just like GraphicWriter III.

The follow up to my test...

* Change every fonts to italic or bold. Palatino will work correctly,
  as well as Times, Helvetica and Courier. The rest, have to do manual
  change.

* Found the problem that cause some text to be missing from the margin.
  It seems that in A4 size, the margin is a little incorrect. Change
  to US letter while the document is still in A4 will make the margin
  much wider, so it will be printed correctly - the only disadvantage
  is that US letter is SHORTER than A4, so some adjustment have to be
  done on the bottom margin. Anybody know any way I can move the margin
  manually instead of changing from A4 to US letter?

* The overlapping of rectangle and bit-mapped picture was due to the
  cropping. You see, I crop the top part of the picture to fit into
  the document. But in the printout, the missing part appeared. So the
  supposed-to-be-cropped part of the picture overlapped the rectangle
  above. Any help to solve the problem?

*** If you do not understand my letter, please refer to my previous
    letter entitled POSTSCRIPT. It discribe the test I was doing, and
    the procedure and problem.

gaw@aeg.dsto.oz.au (Grant Ward) (06/22/91)

ISSLTC@NUSVM.BITNET (Lim Thye Chean) writes:
>* The font test on the following fonts: Avant Garde, Bookman, Courier,
>  Helvetica, New Century Schoolbook, Palatino, Times and Zapf Chancery.
>  Only Times, Helvetica and Courier print correctly, the rest are being
>  substitute by Courier.
The other fonts have different names in the postscript output from awgs.
eg I use bookman, and I have to replace Bookman with Bookman-Light and
Bookman-Bold to Bookman-Demi.
I guess other fonts are the same situation.

>* Besides, the rectangle overlap the bit-mapped graphics below it (in
>  which they should not have). Although text is fully justified, on 3
>  lines, the text is longer than the rest of the line.

I have had no problems with justification (I only use WP) but I discovered
when I tried PL that mixing text and graphics was not possible since text
wants to use COndensed setting of Laserwriter driver, but graphics needs to
have Normal (unless you are prepared to draw the graphics with double height).

>I hope anybody can give me some suggestion. The print out is really
>fantastic and is MUCH better than the print out I obtained from Harmonie
>or Independence printing on DeskJet. I hope to have a nice printout, and
>willing to do testing and share the experience to everybody, and make GS
>a much useful machine. Thanks.

I'm keen to hear what you find in your tests, especially if you find a way of
using graphics and text in PL without the kludge of drawing the graphics
double height.

Cheers,
Grant.

"LOOK MA, New email address."______

For  | 1983 BMW 635 CSi.           | .sig renovation cancelled due to lack of
Sale | E-mail me for more details. | government funding :-(
Grant Ward (gaw@aeg.dsto.oz.au / gaward@itd.adelaide.edu.au)  Ph: (08) 259 5022
Remember folks, if you can't flame MeSsy-DOS, then _what_ can you flame ??

andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) (06/22/91)

    Why can't the Apple IIGS just print directly to the PostScript printer,
instead of having to save a PostScript file to a disk, and then
transferring it to a Mac, which prints the file to the PostScript printer?
Is there some inherent limitation in the GS, or did Apple deliberately
cripple the GS so it would compete with the Mac, by not making a real
PostScript LaserWriter driver?

meekins@dodo.cis.ohio-state.edu (Tim Meekins) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun22.151814.13318@clark.edu> andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) writes:

>    Why can't the Apple IIGS just print directly to the PostScript printer,
>instead of having to save a PostScript file to a disk, and then
>transferring it to a Mac, which prints the file to the PostScript printer?
>Is there some inherent limitation in the GS, or did Apple deliberately
>cripple the GS so it would compete with the Mac, by not making a real
>PostScript LaserWriter driver?

? The GS *does* send directly to a postcript printer. It's a feature of
the GS that we can *also* create Postscript files. The discussions ongoing
about created PS files is important becuase *most* of don't own a PS
printer to connected to the GS, but *do* have access to printere elsewhere.
I am one of those people. I cannot possibly afford a laserwrite, but my
school has about 20 of them sitting around in all the labs. All I have to
to on my GS is *redirect* my output to a text file, take it to school (or
upload it there) then print it on the printer there.

The actually problem with this scenario is that the GS actually *assumes*
it is connected to a printer, so some extra garbage is left in the postscript
file which *must* be removed before printing.

taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) (06/22/91)

andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) writes:

>     Why can't the Apple IIGS just print directly to the PostScript printer,
> instead of having to save a PostScript file to a disk, and then
> transferring it to a Mac, which prints the file to the PostScript printer?
> Is there some inherent limitation in the GS, or did Apple deliberately
> cripple the GS so it would compete with the Mac, by not making a real
> PostScript LaserWriter driver?

    As far as I know, you _can_ hook up a LaserWriter to the GS via a
LocalTalk cable and print.  Assuming of course that you have the necessary
AppleTalk software installed on your startup disk.  But how many Apple IIGS
owners do you know have a PostScript laser printer at home?  In fact, how
many GS's out there are actually connected to a laser printer?  I just use
the Macs at work and at school to print my GS stuff from home.  Really, a
Mac Plus isn't good for much else anyway... ;-)

meekins@dodo.cis.ohio-state.edu (Tim Meekins) writes:

> The actually problem with this scenario is that the GS actually *assumes*
> it is connected to a printer, so some extra garbage is left in the postscript
> file which *must* be removed before printing.

    What garbage?  The only stray characters I've seen in the PostSciptGS.xx
files is in the garbled user name field in the file header.  Everything else
seems to be in order.  I've printed full-page colour graphics, 30-page
essays and even a sound wave from Sonic Blaster to a LaserWriter IINT
without any problems.

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (06/23/91)

GCC's BLP II laser printer is quite inexpensive ($2300 CAN compared to $4000+
for the cheapest LAserWriter). Does anyone know how well this printer would
work with a GS?

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

guss@pro-nsdapple.cts.com (Jim Gussler) (06/25/91)

>>     Why can't the Apple IIGS just print directly to the PostScript printer,
>> instead of having to save a PostScript file to a disk, and then
>> transferring it to a Mac, which prints the file to the PostScript printer?
>> Is there some inherent limitation in the GS, or did Apple deliberately
>> cripple the GS so it would compete with the Mac, by not making a real
>> PostScript LaserWriter driver?

>    As far as I know, you _can_ hook up a LaserWriter to the GS via a
>LocalTalk cable and print.  Assuming of course that you have the necessary
>AppleTalk software installed on your startup disk.  But how many Apple IIGS
>owners do you know have a PostScript laser printer at home?  In fact, how
>many GS's out there are actually connected to a laser printer?  I just use
>the Macs at work and at school to print my GS stuff from home.  Really, a
>Mac Plus isn't good for much else anyway... ;-)

I'm not sure about LaserWriter but I have a Hewlett Packard LaserJet IIP
connected to my //gs.  Currently I have it connected via AppleTalk.  However,
I did have it hooked up via a standard serial cable.  The IIP comes with a
Parallel, Serial, and AppleTalk connector on the back.  I've tried two of the
three and they work fine.

And yes, this is in my home.

ProLine:  guss@pro-nsdapple                 |    System Administrator
Internet: guss@pro-nsdapple.cts.com         |      pro-nsdapple BBS
UUCP:     crash!pro-nsdapple!guss           |   300/1200/2400/9600 Baud
ARPA:     crash!pro-nsdapple!guss@nosc.mil  |       (619) 571-9010

North San Diego Apple User's Group
P.O. Box 261870, San Diego, Ca. 92196

sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (Matthew Montano) (06/25/91)

taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) writes:

>    As far as I know, you _can_ hook up a LaserWriter to the GS via a
>LocalTalk cable and print.  Assuming of course that you have the necessary
>AppleTalk software installed on your startup disk.  But how many Apple IIGS
>owners do you know have a PostScript laser printer at home?  In fact, how
>many GS's out there are actually connected to a laser printer?  I just use
>the Macs at work and at school to print my GS stuff from home.  Really, a
>Mac Plus isn't good for much else anyway... ;-)

A Laser printer hooked up to a IIgs is a beautiful combination. Seeing as
there are many Mac/LaserWriter combo's around the world, and a clamour for a
new inexpensive node on that net, I can't help myself but to recommend one of
the zillion used IIgs' for sale to complement the setup.

For the record, I have a IIcx and a IIgs hooked up to a LaserWriter IINTX... I
wonder how I ever lived with an ImageWriter.

Remember Apple's little "wonder program". The IWEM file on the system disk is
a postscript program which by downloading into a laser printer will allow it
to emulate an ImageWriter printer... allowing most ProDOS 8 "PR#1" type
programs to print with ease.

Matthew
---
ventureTech Intelligence - We're trying to make computers easy, SOME HOW!
Email: sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (most mailers won't barf on that..)
My comments aren't even worth a disclaimer...
And the further I get from the things that I care about...
The less I care about how much further away I get   -   Robert Smith, 1989

JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET ("Josef W. Wankerl") (06/26/91)

.
 csri.toronto.edu!utgpu!utzoo!utdoe!generic!pnet91!sysadmin@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU>

On Tue, 25 Jun 1991 15:30:04 GMT Matthew Montano said:
>taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) writes:
>>
>>    As far as I know, you _can_ hook up a LaserWriter to the GS via a
>>LocalTalk cable and print.  Assuming of course that you have the necessary
>>AppleTalk software installed on your startup disk.  But how many Apple IIGS
>>owners do you know have a PostScript laser printer at home?  In fact, how
>>many GS's out there are actually connected to a laser printer?
>
>A Laser printer hooked up to a IIgs is a beautiful combination.

Well, I have 2 IIGS computers here, both on an AppleTalk network
connected to two other IIGS computers (a third could be hooked
in if necessary :-) and an ImageWriter II, LaserWriter IINT, and
finally a Mac LC which is running Personal AppleShare under
System 7.0.  It's a pretty nice setup.

As for the "needed software" to hook things up - well it comes
on the System.Disk and System.Tools disks.  Printing to either
the LaserWriter or the ImageWriter is a snap.

--
===> Josef W. Wankerl, Technical Editor for GS+ Magazine
  BITNET:  JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET       | America Online:  JWankerl

daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com (Dave Harvey-SysAdmin) (06/26/91)

>    Why can't the Apple IIGS just print directly to the PostScript printer,
>instead of having to save a PostScript file to a disk, and then
>transferring it to a Mac, which prints the file to the PostScript printer?
>Is there some inherent limitation in the GS, or did Apple deliberately
>cripple the GS so it would compete with the Mac, by not making a real
>PostScript LaserWriter driver?

That's what my wife and I do with our IIGS's all time.  That is,  print
directly to a TI microLaser using Postscript both networked thru AppleTalk.
(The printer has both AppleTalk and Postscript options installed.)  The
microLaser works fine (except for one program, Platinum Paint) with the
LaserWriter driver that comes with the System Software.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv                    |
uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv          |   Pro-novapple BBS
arpa: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil |  300/1200/2400/9600 Baud
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com           |    703-671-0416

Northern Virginia Apple Users Group               |
P.O. Box 8211, Falls Church, VA 22041             |

taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) (06/29/91)

sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (Matthew Montano) writes:

> A Laser printer hooked up to a IIgs is a beautiful combination. Seeing as
> there are many Mac/LaserWriter combo's around the world, and a clamour for a
> new inexpensive node on that net, I can't help myself but to recommend one of
> the zillion used IIgs' for sale to complement the setup.

    That is in fact what my high school has now done.  A few years ago, a
roomful of //e's were given away to an elementary school, and (gasp) ICON's
put in their place. >:-(  However, the resource department did get one GS
for the remedial program (which was basically used as a fast //e).
Recently, the computer department purchased another GS and stuck onto the
end of a Mac network.  Apparently the teacher-in-charge wants to try a few
things with the GS->Mac SE->{LaserWriter|other Macs}.  System 7.0 and
Personal Appleshare fit in there somewhere as well...

> For the record, I have a IIcx and a IIgs hooked up to a LaserWriter IINTX...
> wonder how I ever lived with an ImageWriter.

    Yes, and some of us wonder how you can afford such luxuries... 8-)