[comp.sys.apple2] LZH/ZIP

v902032@si.hhs.nl (Crouzen) (06/26/91)

	Does anybody know of an LZH/ZIP unarchiver for the //gs?

Alex Crouzen = v902032@si.hhs.nl  (Haagse Hogeschool Sector Informatica)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
) qaStaHvlS wa' ram loS SaD Hugh SljlaH qetbogh loD (famous Klingon Saying)    (
) Four thousand throats may be cut in one night by a running man (translation) (
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[ nuqueH ]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

christob@neabbs.UUCP (TEKSTOTAAL) (06/27/91)

Leuk je hier te zien - hoewel ik het antwoord ook niet weet...
christoph bouthillier

I409@DMAFHT1.BITNET (KRS) (06/27/91)

The most powerful Communication Utility for the GS - named GSHK - does
provide unZIPping.
But I'm also looking for a way to extract LZH files on the GS quite a while
and didn't found anything so far...
Anyone knows more about .LZH files & Apple?

thanx, KRS

slhood@bluemoon.uucp (Stephen L. Hood) (06/27/91)

I409@DMAFHT1.BITNET (KRS) writes:

> The most powerful Communication Utility for the GS - named GSHK - does
> provide unZIPping.

It does?!  That's a surprise, considering that it isn't mentioned in the
documentation OR in ShrinkIt-GS itself!  What version are you referring
to?  The newest I have seen is 1.0.4 (I think).  If this is a new
addition, please update us...

As far as unZiping files, there is a shell utility (EXE) that will handle
ZIP archives rather well.  Its by Samuel Smith.

And as far as LZH, a friend of mine has a Macintosh program that will
handle LZH archives, but of course unless you have an AppleTalk network
set up or have a Duet card, it won't do us any good.  I have yet to see a
program for the Apple that will handle LZHs, but GSHK mentions it as a
possible addition in future versions, I believe...

Stephen L. Hood                      "WARNING:  MOS circuits are subject
                                       to damage from static discharge!"
Internet:  slhood@bluemoon.uucp
UUCP    :  ...osu-cis!n8emr!bluemoon!slhood

I409@DMAFHT1.BITNET (KRS) (06/28/91)

.
 BERKELEY.EDU>

I'm talking about GSHK 1.0.4 indeed.
It supports unpacking of ARC and ZIP Files, BUT NOT LZH and ZOO...
But this is mentioned in the manual ("Foreign Archives")

KRS

z1dan@exnet.iastate.edu (Dan Sorenson -- Seed Testing Labortory) (06/29/91)

In article <9106280755.AA10746@apple.com> I409@DMAFHT1.BITNET (KRS) writes:

>I'm talking about GSHK 1.0.4 indeed.
>It supports unpacking of ARC and ZIP Files, BUT NOT LZH and ZOO...
>But this is mentioned in the manual ("Foreign Archives")
>
>KRS

	Bzzzzzzzzt!  Wrong, but thanks for playing!  The ZIP archive format
is proprietary, copyright, and all that good stuff.  Zoo, on the other hand,
is available and (I think) public domain.  GSHK un-ZOO's quite well, but
will not work on a ZIP file.  Sorry.  And I've tried this out for
verification.  At work I use a clone, so I ZIP my source files, FTP them
to a UNIX box with a modem, then call in at home using my trusty IIgs and
try unzipping them with GSHK.   Doesn't work.  When I use the ZOO archiver,
works fine.  Anybody else tried this out?

     Dan Sorenson      |"What's that thing?" "Well, it's a highly technical,
z1dan@exnet.iastate.edu|sensitive instrument we use in computer repair.
It's a damn poor mind  |Being a layman, you probably can't grasp exactly
that can only think of |what it does.  We call it a two-by-four."
one way to spell a word|	-- Jeff MacNelly, "Shoe"

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (06/29/91)

Hi, I wrote GS-ShrinkIt and this is wrong:

>I'm talking about GSHK 1.0.4 indeed.
>It supports unpacking of ARC and ZIP Files, BUT NOT LZH and ZOO...
>But this is mentioned in the manual ("Foreign Archives")

GS-ShrinkIt supports decoding ARC and ZOO files, but not LZH or ZIP files.

(I tried to reply to this before, but apple.com ran out of disk space)

>KRS

andy

--
Andy Nicholas			GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple IIGS System Software		    CompuServe: 70771,2615