[comp.sys.apple2] Snowterm

01142@brahms.udel.edu (Scott A Harris) (12/04/90)

I have tried to use Snowterm before trying to communicate to a vax
machine but when I log on with this program I get to the part where
I'm supposed to enter my user number and the program freezes.
Can anyone help with this delima.  I got so frustrated with it that
I even bought Readylink which work great but when one compares the
price......wow what a difference.
Thanks in advance.

				Scott Harris
				01142@brahms.udel.edu
				(no I didn't forget, or am to stupid to
				 change my user id, I happen to like my
				 number)
				sharris12    Genie
				71311,2700   CompuServe

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (12/05/90)

In article <16462@brahms.udel.edu> 01142@brahms.udel.edu (Scott A Harris) writes:
>I have tried to use Snowterm before trying to communicate to a vax
>machine but when I log on with this program I get to the part where
>I'm supposed to enter my user number and the program freezes.

What version of SnowTerm did you try? Current version is 2.04. I am using
it as I write this logged onto The World (Sun system) in vt100 emulation mode.
I have yet to have trouble logging on, etc.

--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer
Party naked... /AOL: Gargoth / BIX: Keving / Pro-line: kgreen@pro-angmar

01142@brahms.udel.edu (Scott A Harris) (12/05/90)

Well I went back to check what version of Snowterm I had and what a surprise
It wouldn't let me boot it or when I did (using 5.0.3) it just took me back
to the desktop. How strange I thought so I tried running under (5.0.2) no
dice, there I just got the menu bar and then it froze.  So I then proceded
to download another copy to make sure I had both a working copy and the latest
now (running under 5.0.3) it did the same thing but when I got to 5.0.2 I got
John Snows little message about the $20  and then after leaving that menu
I got the one about choosing a modem and printer.  After I selected that I went
on  and then the system froze again.
Right now I am currently running under rom 3 with a single disk drive and the
standard memory(I still havent figured out if this is 1 meg or 1.25)
(unfortunalely my girlfriends father wanted the 1 meg memory car and the
disk drive back so now I'm reduced to nothing.

Also, this is my second posting on comp.sys.apple2 how do I get what other
people said (to quote them) into vi to post that as well.

Thanks again
		Scott Harris

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (12/05/90)

On Wed, 5 Dec 90 00:37:01 GMT Kevin S Green said:

>What version of SnowTerm did you try? Current version is 2.04. I am using
>it as I write this logged onto The World (Sun system) in vt100 emulation mode.
>I have yet to have trouble logging on, etc.

Could some kind soul out there do some of us GREAT BIG favor and upload this
version to Apple2-L?

P.S.  What does 2.04 do that 1.07 doesn't?

>--
>Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer
>Party naked... /AOL: Gargoth / BIX: Keving / Pro-line: kgreen@pro-angmar

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--   mquinn@utcvm
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (12/06/90)

In article <16518@brahms.udel.edu> 01142@brahms.udel.edu (Scott A Harris) writes:
>Also, this is my second posting on comp.sys.apple2 how do I get what other
>people said (to quote them) into vi to post that as well.

To put stuff in a file:

:q!<RTN>emacs<RTN>

Sorry, I had to do that. :-) If I remember right, though, use ":r name"
to add the contents of a file while in vi.

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (12/06/90)

In article <9012051459.AA16671@apple.com> MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU writes:

>P.S.  What does 2.04 do that 1.07 doesn't?

>  Michael J. Quinn
>  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
>  BITNET--   mquinn@utcvm
>  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

I don't know what the differences are from v1.07 to v2.04 since I only
recently started using it. Unfortunately the one thing John doesn't
include in his manual is a revision history.

--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer
Party naked... /AOL: Gargoth / BIX: Keving / Pro-line: kgreen@pro-angmar

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (12/06/90)

Scott Harris,
 Although I have no idea what is going on to make SnowTerm misbehave
on your system, I'll bet John Snow would take a crack at it. Here are
all the addresses he lists in his manual. Give him a holler...

John Snow
Snow Software
PO Box 58621
Salt Lake City, UT 84158
GEnie: J.Snow2
CompuServe: 71550,1152
America Online: JohnSnow
UUCP: ...!uunet!utah-cs!esunix!jsnow
Inet: esunix!jsnow@cs.utah.edu

I've written to him before and he is very willing to help.

--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer
Party naked... /AOL: Gargoth / BIX: Keving / Pro-line: kgreen@pro-angmar

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec5.003701.11268@world.std.com> lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) writes:
[stuff re vt100, Snowterm,...]

>What version of SnowTerm did you try? Current version is 2.04.

Is version 2.04 available via ftp anywhere? Does is support any transfer
protocols yet, or will it ever? It's a really nice program. I hope Mr.Snow
turns it into more than just a vt100 emulator.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto->philip@utstat.toronto.edu

tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (12/07/90)

Current version of Snowterm is 2.04?!?!  Binaries!  Binaries!  Post it to the
binaries!!!!  Please.  Thank you.

Internet: tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com        |ProLine: tg.exc@pro-harvest
ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc@nosc.mil     |UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc
BITNET: tg.exc%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil |Knights of the Plex: Reardon
           We're tiny, we're toony, we're all a little looney....

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (12/08/90)

In article <1990Dec6.093400.3973@utstat.uucp> philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>Is version 2.04 available via ftp anywhere? Does is support any transfer
>protocols yet, or will it ever? It's a really nice program. I hope Mr.Snow
>turns it into more than just a vt100 emulator.

My FTP access is minimal here at The World so I don't know if it is
FTP-able. As for transfer protocols, it doesn't now but he is working on
it, at least according to the note he included with my shareware registation
invoice. He predicts X & Z modem, and possibly Zmodem (pleeeeessseee!!!!!!)

--

jsnow@esunix.UUCP (John Snow) (12/08/90)

>Could some kind soul out there do some of us GREAT BIG favor and upload this
>version to Apple2-L?

>P.S.  What does 2.04 do that 1.07 doesn't?
>  Michael J. Quinn
>  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
>  BITNET--   mquinn@utcvm
>  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

Version 2.00 and up added several new features that 1.07 didn't have.
First is a capture buffer with the ability to capture the received data
stream, display it in a scrollable window, save it to a file, and copy it
to the system clipboard for tranfer to other GS programs.

Version 2.00 also added a text file send command to transfer text files
across the serial line, and the ability to list in a window and print to
a printer any text file.  In addition, received text can be echoed to a
printer.  No file transfer protocols are included yet, but I'm working on it.

Version 2.04 is the latest version that I'm sending to those who send in
their registration fee, but it differs little from 2.03 which is the most
rececnt widely distributed version.  Version 2.04 contains one minor change
which fixes a bug which causes problems with the VT100 arrow keys when
SnowTerm is running in half duplex mode.  Since most people use full
duplex, I haven't bothered uploading 2.04.

Version 2.03 has been uploaded to the various services, including
comp.binaries.apple2.  Unfortunately, I can't (or don't know how) to get to
Apple2-L, so I can't upload a new copy there.  I'd be happy to upload 2.04
to anywhere I can get to or email it directly to anyone that requests it.

--John

John F. Snow                         UUCP:     ...!uunet!utah-cs!esunix!jsnow
Evans & Sutherland Computer Corp.    INET:           esunix!jsnow@cs.utah.edu
Salt Lake City, Utah                 America Online: JohnSnow  GEnie: J.SNOW2

kimbrennan@gnh-starport.cts.com (Kim Brennan) (12/09/90)

Bloody H*ll. What does Snowterm 2.04 do that 1.07 doesn't? Well any time there
is that large a version number difference you have to figure that a lot of bugs
have been corrected (not to mention features that may have been added). I
personally have Snowterm 2.03 (and registered too. Serial Number 89) and have
sucessfully been using it with 5.02 and 5.03 for many months (5.02 months, 5.03
since it came out). Please remember to send in your shareware fees.

MQUINN%UTCVM@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU (12/10/90)

On Sun, 9 Dec 90 05:27:12 CST Kim Brennan said:
>Bloody H*ll. What does Snowterm 2.04 do that 1.07 doesn't? Well any time there
>is that large a version number difference you have to figure that a lot of bugs
>have been corrected (not to mention features that may have been added). I

Obviously bugs have been fixed.  My question was:  What does 2.04 do that 1.07
doesn't do (aside from bug fixes...That should go without saying).
I was afraid someone was going to take my question the wrong way.  I wasn't
implying that the new version doesn't do anything more than the old one does...
just wonderin what new features it has, if any.

>personally have Snowterm 2.03 (and registered too. Serial Number 89) and have
>sucessfully been using it with 5.02 and 5.03 for many months (5.02 months, 5.03
>since it came out). Please remember to send in your shareware fees.

Do you know if it has any new features that 1.07 doesn't have?

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--   mquinn@utcvm
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) (12/15/90)

2.04???? That numnuts didn't send me it!

He sent me 2.03 a while ago...

Hmmm, maybe I should check and see where it is online...

--
Avery Ray Colter    {apple|claris}!netcom!avery  {decwrl|mips|sgi}!btr!elfcat
(415) 839-4567   "I feel love has got to come on and I want it:

spock@wrkof.incom.de (Martin Georg) (12/19/90)

You should check out GEnie (A2 Roundtable on page 645, software library).
SnowTerm 2.05 (!) arrived there yesterday!

Martin Georg
Frankfurt, Germany
----> Apple II forever! <----

meekins@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (timothy lee meekins) (01/28/91)

In article <7794@plains.NoDak.edu> swiers@plains.NoDak.edu (Mike Swiers ) writes:
>I have v2.05....there aren't any later versions, are there?  Anyway, I just
>got this version, and it's pretty cool, 'cept that the font sucks.  I noticed
>a change font option dealing with the buffer, but changing it doesn't seem
>to do anything so I assume that only works with stuff in the buffer (I havn't
>tried it).  Anyway, is there a way to change this font?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mike

Are you complaing about the term font or the Edit buffer font?
If it is the main term font you don't like, you can get a font editor by
paying the shareware fee.
If it is the editor font that sucks, it's most likely that you don't have
the correct font (Geneva?) in you system/fonts so you're ending up with
a badly scaled Shaston font.

--
+---------------------------S-U-P-P-O-R-T-----------------------------------+
|/ Tim Meekins                  <<>> Snail Mail:           <<>>  Apple II  \|

plucky.duck@pro-midnightex.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (02/03/91)

No, v2.05 is the newest version.

As for the font, it's not really a FONT font.  In other words, it is a special
graphics font set done by the author.  It is non-standard, meaning you can't
insert a standard GS font, such as courier.  I don't see that it sucks.  I
quite like it...

PLine:  plucky.duck@pro-midnightex / tg.exc@pro-harvest| The Toxic Revenger! |
INET:   plucky.duck@pro-midnightex.cts.com             |----------------------
UUCP:   crash!pro-midnightex!plucky.duck               |   Saddam Hussein,   |
ARPA:   crash!pro-midnightex!plucky.duck@nosc.mil      |    kiss my butt!    |
BITNET: plucky.duck%pro-midnightex.cts.com@nosc.mil    |IRAQ SUCKS IRAQ SUCKS|

aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) (04/08/91)

Could sombody give me the E-Mail Address for the author of Snow Term?
He send me mail, and I responded, but it was returned...

---
ProLine:  aford@pro-mansion                  | Please Support the Apple II
Internet: aford@pro-mansion                  |
UUCP:     crash!pro-mansion!aford            | Line of computers.
ARPA:     crash!pro-mansion!aford@nosc.mil   |
BitNet:   aford%pro-mansion.cts.com@nosc.mil |

aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) (04/25/91)

I now have Snow Term.  I will send the Share Ware fee when I get the
money..

        Adam
---
ProLine:  aford@pro-mansion                  | Please Support Apple IIgs.
Internet: aford@pro-mansion                  |
UUCP:     crash!pro-mansion!aford            |    Apple IIgs Forever
ARPA:     crash!pro-mansion!aford@nosc.mil   |
BitNet:   aford%pro-mansion.cts.com@nosc.mil |

rjd@alpha.sunquest.com (Robert J. Dull) (05/25/91)

I recently got SnowTerm version 2.03, and I have been having problems
saving the contents of the buffer to disk.  Every time I try, the
program freezes up and I have to reboot.  Anybody else had this
experience?

bob

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (05/25/91)

In article <24MAY91114650@alpha.sunquest.com> rjd@alpha.sunquest.com writes:
|I recently got SnowTerm version 2.03, and I have been having problems
|saving the contents of the buffer to disk.  Every time I try, the
|program freezes up and I have to reboot.  Anybody else had this
|experience?

I've never had problems with SnowTerm since I got 2.03 (and subsequently
paid the shareware fee and upgraded to 2.06). If you have some NDAs etc
I would suggest first removing all of them and testing. If it still
has trouble, then I would suggest getting a copy of 2.06 (to be current
and in case your 2.03 is corrupted).

--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer

taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) (05/25/91)

rjd@alpha.sunquest.com (Robert J. Dull) writes:

> I recently got SnowTerm version 2.03, and I have been having problems

    The latest version is SnowTerm 2.06.  I've never used any other version,
so I don't know about the computer hanging when you try to save the capture
buffer to disk.  It works fine for me.

--
Brian T. Tao   *B-)  |  taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca  |  "Though this be
2705-1510 Riverside  |           - or -          |   madness, yet there

apollo@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Amrit Chauhan) (05/27/91)

        Does SnowTerm 2.06 have any transfer protocols?  Oh, and can you
rcp it to me...maybe...e-mail me and we'll work out how I can get it
without network costs. :)  Thanks

Amrit

==The Hindu Love Gods BBS - - - - Bloomfield Hills, MI - - - - 313/644-0481===
ProLine: Steve@pro-hindugods     | Internet: Steve@pro-hindugods.cts.com     |
UUCP: crash!pro-hindugods!Steve  | ARPA: crash!pro-hindugods!Steve@nosc.mil  |

A_MILLSBS@CCSVAX.SFASU.EDU (B. Scott Mills) (06/28/91)

I am trying to get Snowterm to run on a rom 1 gs.  When I execute the program I
get  system error $005C.    What is that?  How can I fix it?

Thanks in Advance,

B. Scott Mills                                                Apple // Forever
Student Programmer, Stephen F. Austin State University
a_millsbs@ccsvax.sfasu.edu                      Almost Heaven BBS 409-362-2020
smills@sfaustin.bitnet

David.Empson@actrix.gen.nz (David Empson) (06/29/91)

In article <910628115326.20c02258@CCSVAX.SFASU.EDU> A_MILLSBS@CCSVAX.SFASU.EDU (B. Scott Mills) writes:
> I am trying to get Snowterm to run on a rom 1 gs.  When I execute the program I
> get  system error $005C.    What is that?  How can I fix it?

According to the GS/OS reference, error $5C is "not an executable
file".  There are two cases in which this could appear.

One of them is if you try to set up a IIgs system disk with a startup
file that is of the wrong type.  The startup file must be one of:

/Disk/System/START:  S16
/Disk/xxx.SYS16:     S16
/Disk/xxx.SYSTEM:    SYS

In particular, I don't think you can make a SYS file into the startup
program by calling it START and placing it in the SYSTEM directory.

I suggest you check the above files to make sure there is nothing
strange going on.

The other case is if a QUIT call tries to execute a file that isn't of
type SYS or S16.

David Empson

David.Empson@bbs.actrix.gen.nz
--