[comp.sys.apple2] Appletalk and a ROM 1 GS

A_MILLSBS@CCSVAX.SFASU.EDU (B. Scott Mills) (06/28/91)

Here is my problem.

I am not a GS owner (I have always wanted one) and now I am suddenly doing some
suppourt work here with some GS's.

The math dept here has about a dozen rom 1 WOZ edition GS machines.  Many have
1 meg a few only have 512k.  They sent a machine over here to my office to work
with but i dont have the manuals.

HOW CAN I GET THE THING TO APPLETALK?

I dloaded the latest system off ftp.apple.com (some of them are still using
4.0) and made me a new tools and system disk (I used my //c to do this) and it
will start up just fine.  I tried to use the installer to make me a new system
disk and intall appleshare  and it seems to be ok.  When I rebooted iot said I
must enable Appletalk on the control panel.     HOW?  When I installed
appleshare on a 3.5 disk  i didnt have all the control panels, and when I hit
control-OA-esc to get to the control panel i see no way to turn on Appletalk.

PLEASE HELP!  I am in a hurry I only have a few days to work on this project as
I have many other things in the works and I REALLY would like to set these
people up nice so to maybe show off the apple //'s a little.

Oh yeah,  When I turn on this system I was VERY suprised that it had a
transwarp in it.

Thanks in advance,

B. Scott Mills                                                Apple // Forever
Student Programmer, Stephen F. Austin State University
a_millsbs@ccsvax.sfasu.edu                      Almost Heaven BBS 409-362-2020
smills@sfaustin.bitnet

slhood@bluemoon.uucp (Stephen L. Hood) (06/29/91)

A_MILLSBS@CCSVAX.SFASU.EDU (B. Scott Mills) writes:

> Here is my problem.
>
> I am not a GS owner (I have always wanted one) and now I am suddenly doing so
> suppourt work here with some GS's.
>
> The math dept here has about a dozen rom 1 WOZ edition GS machines.  Many hav
> 1 meg a few only have 512k.  They sent a machine over here to my office to wo
> with but i dont have the manuals.
>
> HOW CAN I GET THE THING TO APPLETALK?
>
> I dloaded the latest system off ftp.apple.com (some of them are still using
> 4.0) and made me a new tools and system disk (I used my //c to do this) and i
> will start up just fine.  I tried to use the installer to make me a new syste
> disk and intall appleshare  and it seems to be ok.  When I rebooted iot said
> must enable Appletalk on the control panel.     HOW?  When I installed
> appleshare on a 3.5 disk  i didnt have all the control panels, and when I hit
> control-OA-esc to get to the control panel i see no way to turn on Appletalk.

I have a ROM 01 IIgs, and I believe that the procedure is the same on the
Woz IIgs as well.  From the control panel, simply select the Slots menu
and change Slot 7 from "Your Card" to "Built-in AppleTalk".  A message
will appear stating that you cannot use a printer, modem, and AppleTalk at
the same time.  This is because AppleTalk must be connected to one of
either your Printer or Modem ports.  Just change either Slot 1 or 2 to
"Your Card" and AppleTalk will activate.

Remember, this is for the ROM 01 GS.  I am not positive that this works on
the Woz machine...

Hope this helps...

Stephen L. Hood                      "WARNING:  MOS circuits are subject
                                       to damage from static discharge!"
Internet:  slhood@bluemoon.uucp
UUCP    :  ...osu-cis!n8emr!bluemoon!slhood

David.Empson@actrix.gen.nz (David Empson) (06/29/91)

In article <910628092129.20c02102@CCSVAX.SFASU.EDU> A_MILLSBS@CCSVAX.SFASU.EDU (B. Scott Mills) writes:
> The math dept here has about a dozen rom 1 WOZ edition GS machines.  Many have
> 1 meg a few only have 512k.  They sent a machine over here to my office to work
> with but i dont have the manuals.
>
> HOW CAN I GET THE THING TO APPLETALK?
>
> I dloaded the latest system off ftp.apple.com (some of them are still using
> 4.0) and made me a new tools and system disk (I used my //c to do this) and it
> will start up just fine.  I tried to use the installer to make me a new system
> disk and intall appleshare  and it seems to be ok.  When I rebooted iot said I
> must enable Appletalk on the control panel.     HOW?  When I installed
> appleshare on a 3.5 disk  i didnt have all the control panels, and when I hit
> control-OA-esc to get to the control panel i see no way to turn on Appletalk.

On the ROM 01 IIgs, use either control panel's "Slots" option.  You
will need to set Slot 1 or Slot 2 to "Your Card", depending on where
you have AppleTalk connected to the IIgs.
You must also set slot 7 to "AppleTalk" (as opposed to "Your Card").

The IIgs must have at least 768k to run on AppleTalk (preferably
more), so you might have problems with those 512k machines.

> Oh yeah,  When I turn on this system I was VERY suprised that it had a
> transwarp in it.

That may also cause problems.  The ZIPGS provides a facility to slow
down the computer slightly to allow AppleTalk to work properly
(probably causes timing problems if the computer is running too fast).
There may be a similar option for the TransWarp.  If nothing else
works, try disabling it completely.

David Empson

David.Empson@bbs.actrix.gen.nz
--

David.Empson@bbs.actrix.gen.nz

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) (06/30/91)

David.Empson@actrix.gen.nz (David Empson) writes:

>> Oh yeah,  When I turn on this system I was VERY suprised that it had a
>> transwarp in it.

>That may also cause problems.  The ZIPGS provides a facility to slow
>down the computer slightly to allow AppleTalk to work properly
>(probably causes timing problems if the computer is running too fast).
>There may be a similar option for the TransWarp.  If nothing else
>works, try disabling it completely.

   No, the Transwarp has ZERO problems with AppleTalk.  That's the one
thing I dislike about my Zip- enough that I might send it back (NOT- and
pay $150 more for a transwarp?!?).  Anyway, the Zip has other benefits
that make me want to keep it over a Transwarp.

   But to once again make my point, the Transwarp is fully compatible with
AppleTalk, no speed reduction necessary.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               |  "Twenty seven faces- with their eyes turned to
Graduated!/Comp Engineering |    the sky. I have got a camera, and an airtight