[comp.sys.apple2] Apple IIGS's Memory Limit

andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) (06/17/91)

    While it may be nonstandard and not fully addressable, isn't the Apple
IIGS's memory limit 17 Meagabytes? If one has a ROM 03 GS, and Applied
Engineering's RamKeeper and two GS RAM Pluses with 8 Megabyes each, isn't
the total memory capacity of the computer 17.125 Megabytes, with the ROM
03's 1.125 Megabyte on board memory? Maybe I'm totally offbase, but that's
what AE advertised.

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun17.065317.13965@clark.edu>,
andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) writes:
>     While it may be nonstandard and not fully addressable, isn't the Apple
> IIGS's memory limit 17 Meagabytes? If one has a ROM 03 GS, and Applied
> Engineering's RamKeeper and two GS RAM Pluses with 8 Megabyes each, isn't
> the total memory capacity of the computer 17.125 Megabytes, with the ROM
> 03's 1.125 Megabyte on board memory? Maybe I'm totally offbase, but that's
> what AE advertised.

Sorry, but this is incorrect.  The 65816 processor has an address space
of 2^24 or 16 million, 771 thousand, + a few.  Therefore, the most memory
the processor can directly address is 2^24 bytes.  Some of this memory,
though, is reserved by Apple and some of it is already in use.  The main
memory that came with the original Apple IIgs was in addresses
$00/0000-$01/FFFF and $E0/0000-E1/FFFF (Adds up to 256K).  The 128K of ROM
is mapped to $FE/0000-$FF/FFFF.  When you add memory via slinky cards
in the Apple RAM Expansion slot, it gets mapped from $02/0000 on up.
You would think that you still have 15 megs or so to expand though. This is
not the case.  When Apple built the IIgs, it reserved the memory above
$08/0000 for Apple purposes (ROM expansion, etc...) This you can only
have actual RAM from $00/0000-$7F/FFFF or 8 megabytes.
Therefore, the maximum RAM you can have (without some sort of trick that
they may invent in the next 5 years) is 8 Megs.  None of this is including
the 64K dedicated to the DOC.  I am not sure if that is included in the
memory map or not.

For more information, look in the Apple IIgs Hardware Reference.  It is
probably in the firmware reference too.  And I am sure that Matt and Dave
will both jump on this post and clear up any inaccuracies I have
written.

--
Joel Sumner                     GENIE:JOEL.SUMNER     This .sig may not be used
q4kx@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu   q4kx@cornella         for public viewing or

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun17.065317.13965@clark.edu> andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) writes:
>    While it may be nonstandard and not fully addressable, isn't the Apple
>IIGS's memory limit 17 Meagabytes?

No, it is architecturally incapable of accessing more than 8MB of
main-memory RAM.  There is also a ROM space (containing the firmware
and room for other ROM), but only a tiny number of sites are going to
be able to exploit the additional ROM space.

The on-board RAM lies within the 8MB space.

stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Anthony J. Stuckey) (06/17/91)

andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) writes:

>    While it may be nonstandard and not fully addressable, isn't the Apple
>IIGS's memory limit 17 Meagabytes? If one has a ROM 03 GS, and Applied
>Engineering's RamKeeper and two GS RAM Pluses with 8 Megabyes each, isn't
>the total memory capacity of the computer 17.125 Megabytes, with the ROM
>03's 1.125 Megabyte on board memory? Maybe I'm totally offbase, but that's
>what AE advertised.

Except that I think you can aonly address 16 MB.  The GS does use 24 bit
addressing, which gives a theoretical maximum of 16 MB.
I would be real surprised if 16 MB proved to be exceedable.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey
stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

$CSB205@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) (06/18/91)

|From:         Joel Sumner <vax5.cit.cornell.edu!q4kx@CU-ARPA.CS.CORNELL.EDU>
|Subject:      Re: Apple IIGS's Memory Limit

|Therefore, the maximum RAM you can have (without some sort of trick that
|they may invent in the next 5 years) is 8 Megs.  None of this is including
|the 64K dedicated to the DOC.  I am not sure if that is included in the
|memory map or not.

Well I suppose you could develop a RAM card with a pointer location that
would BANK SELECT. But we don't want to get into that, do we?

|Joel Sumner                     GENIE:JOEL.SUMNER     This .sig may not be us
|q4kx@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu   q4kx@cornella         for public viewing or
|q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu       q4kx@crnlvax5         rebroadcast without the
|....................................................  express written consent
|The impedance of absolutely nothing is 377 ohms.      of major league basebal

--------------------------------   "We were having a great time, but
! Mark Orr                     !    Macintosh wasn't selling that well.
! $CSB205 @ LSUVM.SNCC.LSU.EDU !    The Apple II was paying our way."
!         @ LSUVM.BITNET       !                  - Guy Kawasaki
--------------------------------      From his book: The Macintosh Way

PKBRANDON@MSUS1.MSUS.EDU (06/18/91)

I _believe_ that the 65816 microprocessor in the GS can address 16meg.
However, the GS is set up to allocate 8meg to RAM and 8meg to ROM, so to
use more than 8meg you need to set a a ROM disk (the RamKeeper does this).
The GS Ram+ can hold up to 6meg; 8meg with a piggyback board that may or
may not exist at a reasonable price.  Can't see any reason to stick 16meg
in there, 'tho; my experience has been that hard drives are more reliable
and cost-effective (I've got a Ram Keeper in my office machine; a CMS hard
drive in my home machine).  The big advantage of the Ram Keeper is the
faster boot and a couple of meg can handle that.
   ---   Paul Brandon    Psychology Dept    Mankato State Univ   ---
   ---    PKBRANDON@MSUS1.MSUS.EDU          Mankato, MN 56001    ---

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.100712.5532@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) writes:
>None of this is including the 64K dedicated to the DOC.  I am not sure
>if that is included in the memory map or not.

No, the DOC RAM is in an address space of its own, not directly accessible
to the CPU.

taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) (06/18/91)

stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Anthony J. Stuckey) writes:

> Except that I think you can aonly address 16 MB.  The GS does use 24 bit
> addressing, which gives a theoretical maximum of 16 MB.
> I would be real surprised if 16 MB proved to be exceedable.

    How about memory plugged into one of the seven "normal" slots?  Would
GS/OS recognize that as a RAM disk?  For example, a card could be built
which supports 1- and 4-meg SIMM's, but into a bus slot instead of the
memory expansion slot.  With perhaps a GS/OS driver, it could be used as a
large RAM disk.  Add a battery-backup option, and you can get 32 megs of
fast, internal storage (for big $$$, obviously).  Wasn't Harris Labs going
to do something like this?

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (06/18/91)

On Mon, 17 Jun 1991 15:47:08 GMT Anthony J. Stuckey said:
>andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) writes:
>>Engineering's RamKeeper and two GS RAM Pluses with 8 Megabyes each, isn't
>>the total memory capacity of the computer 17.125 Megabytes, with the ROM
>>03's 1.125 Megabyte on board memory? Maybe I'm totally offbase, but that's
>>what AE advertised.
>
>Except that I think you can aonly address 16 MB.  The GS does use 24 bit
>addressing, which gives a theoretical maximum of 16 MB.
>I would be real surprised if 16 MB proved to be exceedable.

The '816 can address up to 16MB of -memory-.  Remember, that part of that
memory is ROM, not RAM.  The -practible- limit of RAM is 8MB.  I assume the
upper 8 megs are reserved for future expansion ROM and/or user upgradable ROM.
If you have more than 8MB of RAM installed, you'd have to patch the memory
manager use anything over the 8MB, but then, you still couldn't access it
completely with current applications.  For example, I doubt you'd be able to
JML >8MB   etc. without jumping to a ROM routine.  I'm sure someone else could
explain it much better than I'm doing now because I don't completely understand
it myself.

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

In article <PmTP44w162w@micor.ocunix.on.ca> taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) writes:
>    How about memory plugged into one of the seven "normal" slots?  Would
>GS/OS recognize that as a RAM disk?

If its slot firmware made it look like a block device, yes.  There have
in fact been Apple II RAM disk cards available.  However, since access to
their contents is radically different (and much more cumbersome) than
direct access to main memory, they are no substitute for main memory RAM.

rhyde@koufax.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (06/19/91)

Of course, the Apple IIe uses a 6502 with a 16-bit address bus.  That would
limit it to 64K.  Didn't stop people from putting a megabyte into it.
Yeah, it used bankswitching.  The GS could use that too.  That's probably what
AE is alluding to, some sort of bank switching scheme.  I wouldn't know though,
I haven't looked closely at their stuff in a couple of years.
*** Randy Hyde

gray@ibis.cs.umass.edu (Lyle Gray) (06/19/91)

In article <16430@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>No, it is architecturally incapable of accessing more than 8MB of
>main-memory RAM.  There is also a ROM space (containing the firmware
>and room for other ROM), but only a tiny number of sites are going to
>be able to exploit the additional ROM space.
>
>The on-board RAM lies within the 8MB space.

I seem to recall (from the original owner's manuals) that the RAM limit was
8.25 Mb, not 8 Mb.  The remaining addressable space (up to 16 Mb) was reserved
for ROM expansions.

Lyle H. Gray                        Internet (personal): gray@cs.umass.edu
Quodata Corporation             Phone: (203) 728-6777, FAX: (203) 247-0249

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (06/20/91)

On Tue, 18 Jun 1991 20:20:04 GMT Lyle Gray said:
>>The on-board RAM lies within the 8MB space.
>
>I seem to recall (from the original owner's manuals) that the RAM limit was
>8.25 Mb, not 8 Mb.  The remaining addressable space (up to 16 Mb) was reserved
>for ROM expansions.

It's actually 8.388608MB, but that's considered '8MB'.  Just like, 1k is really
1024 bytes and 1MB is really 1 million plus 24kb.

On Tue, 18 Jun 1991 18:09:14 GMT randy hyde said:
>Of course, the Apple IIe uses a 6502 with a 16-bit address bus.  That would
>limit it to 64K.  Didn't stop people from putting a megabyte into it.
>Yeah, it used bankswitching.  The GS could use that too.  That's probably what
>AE is alluding to, some sort of bank switching scheme.  I wouldn't know though,
>I haven't looked closely at their stuff in a couple of years.
>*** Randy Hyde

...but that would make the new memory available only to a few applications,
like with the //e.  Only Appleworks, and a few odds and ends programs could
use it directly, while the vast majority of programs could only use it as
a RAM disk, although, that would still be better than not having it.

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) (06/21/91)

    OK, I had to ask this.  JUST WHAT THE HECK CAN ANYONE DO WITH 8
MEGABYTES OF ROM?!? Didn't Apple have any pragmatism when it designed the
Apple IIGS? I mean, wouldn't 12 Megs of RAM and 4 Megs of ROM have been a
better allocation of system memory? AppleWorks GS doesn't even consume 4
Megs, so that could be put in the ROM, and Apple would have one killer
machine.  Could you imagine AppleWorks GS in ROM? Oh, no.  It might sell
then.
.sw

rhood@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Robert Hood) (06/21/91)

Re: Theoretical memory limit on the GS - 8 MB?  16 MB?  17.125 MB?

I'm shocked.  In all of this thread I've seen, everyone has mentioned only
what is directly accessible.  Has everyone forgotten the 128K 8-bits?  The
address space on a 6502/65C02 is only 64K - surely someone could figure out
a way to do something similar with the GS, no?
----
ProLine:  rhood@pro-gsplus                 | "Wherever you go...there you are."
Internet: rhood@pro-gsplus.cts.com         |     -- Buckaroo Banzai
UUCP:     crash!pro-gsplus!rhood           | Wanted: An unZIPper for a II!
ARPA:     crash!pro-gsplus!rhood@nosc.mil  | If you have one, let's chat!

In article <1991Jun20.221622.561@crash.cts.com> rhood@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Robert Hood) writes:
>Re: Theoretical memory limit on the GS - 8 MB?  16 MB?  17.125 MB?
>I'm shocked.  In all of this thread I've seen, everyone has mentioned only
>what is directly accessible.  Has everyone forgotten the 128K 8-bits?  The
>address space on a 6502/65C02 is only 64K - surely someone could figure out
>a way to do something similar with the GS, no?

	Yes, I guess you could do something similar, but -WHY-?

	If more memory were needed (I think 8 megs is a HELL of a lot,
and even if a MultiFinder GS ever existed, I doubt you'd ever fill that much),
go through the bother of building in VIRTUAL memory, which makes more memory
invisible to the application.. That is, the operating system handles
dealing with more memory, rather than the program doing bank switching
crap.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|

-Rich-@cup.portal.com (Richard Sherman Payne) (06/21/91)

>On Tue, 18 Jun 1991 20:20:04 GMT Lyle Gray said:
>>>The on-board RAM lies within the 8MB space.
>>
>>I seem to recall (from the original owner's manuals) that the RAM limit was
>>8.25 Mb, not 8 Mb.  The remaining addressable space (up to 16 Mb) was reserve
>>for ROM expansions.
>
>It's actually 8.388608MB, but that's considered '8MB'.  Just like, 1k is reall
>1024 bytes and 1MB is really 1 million plus 24kb.

>>Lyle H. Gray                        Internet (personal): gray@cs.umass.edu
>>Quodata Corporation             Phone: (203) 728-6777, FAX: (203) 247-0249

This is a little mixed up as I understand things. The addressable space
is 2^23= 8,338,608 bytes. Since 1K = 1024 bytes, we have 8,388,608/1024 =
8,192 KB. By common usage, this is called 8MB. Now 8.338608 MB would be
8.338608 * 1024 = 8,589.93 KB, which is about 400K over 2^23 bytes.

The error seems to be dividing by 1000 to convert from 8,338,608 in
converting from bytes to MB. A common mistake to those not computer
literate. But I am surprised to see it here.

Rich

-Rich-@cup.portal.com

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.221622.561@crash.cts.com> rhood@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Robert Hood) writes:
>I'm shocked.  In all of this thread I've seen, everyone has mentioned only
>what is directly accessible.  Has everyone forgotten the 128K 8-bits?  The
>address space on a 6502/65C02 is only 64K - surely someone could figure out
>a way to do something similar with the GS, no?

I can tell you're not a programmer!

As soon as a different mechanism has to be introduced to access such
"extended" memory, programming to use it becomes MUCH harder.  You
might as well resort to RAM disk or even hard disk for the extension,
which of course is already possible as things now stand.

jpenne@ee.ualberta.ca (Jerry Penner) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.221622.561@crash.cts.com> rhood@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Robert Hood) writes:

>Re: Theoretical memory limit on the GS - 8 MB?  16 MB?  17.125 MB?
>
>I'm shocked.  In all of this thread I've seen, everyone has mentioned only
>what is directly accessible.  Has everyone forgotten the 128K 8-bits?  The
>address space on a 6502/65C02 is only 64K - surely someone could figure out
>a way to do something similar with the GS, no?

Sure, but what's the point of using bank switching?  First of all,
rather few of the installed base of GS's have more than 1.5 or 2 megs
of RAM; we're not even pushing the 8 Meg barrier yet so why worry
about more.  Second, bank switching would slow the machine down
further and it's not fast enough as is.  Yup, we could probably come
up with a really nifty bank-switching scheme, but we don't need to yet
so we won't.
--
Jerry Penner		  | jpenne@bode.ee.ualberta.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada |  OR  alberta!bode!jpenne

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) (06/21/91)

rhood@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Robert Hood) writes:

>Re: Theoretical memory limit on the GS - 8 MB?  16 MB?  17.125 MB?
>
>I'm shocked.  In all of this thread I've seen, everyone has mentioned only
>what is directly accessible.  Has everyone forgotten the 128K 8-bits?  The
>address space on a 6502/65C02 is only 64K - surely someone could figure out
>a way to do something similar with the GS, no?

   ICKY!  NASTY!  FOO!  The whole point of having a processor that can
directly access 16 megabytes is so you don't have to use bank switching.
Adding bank switching would be a fruitless task on the GS.  A much better
project would be true demand paged virtual memory.
   According to the hardware reference, cards that follow Apple's design
rules for memory cards can have to 4 megabytes, period.  Add this 4 meg
to whatever the machine you've got has on the motherboard (ROM 01- 256k,
ROM 03- 1.125Meg), and that's the total in your machine.  I doubt a card
like the Octo RAM would work in a ROM 03, but I think AE's GSRAM+ does,
so there you have 6Meg+1.125Meg for close to eight.
   It might be possible to build a 12Meg RAM card, but it would be useless
because the Memory manager is only built for 8 megs.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               |  "Twenty seven faces- with their eyes turned to
Graduated!/Comp Engineering |    the sky. I have got a camera, and an airtight

gray@ibis.cs.umass.edu (Lyle Gray) (06/21/91)

In article <43521@cup.portal.com> -Rich-@cup.portal.com (Richard Sherman Payne) writes:

>>>I seem to recall (from the original owner's manuals) that the RAM limit was
>>>8.25 Mb, not 8 Mb.  The remaining addressable space (up to 16 Mb) was reserve
>>>for ROM expansions.
>>
>>It's actually 8.388608MB, but that's considered '8MB'.  Just like, 1k is reall
>>1024 bytes and 1MB is really 1 million plus 24kb.
>
>This is a little mixed up as I understand things. The addressable space
>is 2^23= 8,338,608 bytes. Since 1K = 1024 bytes, we have 8,388,608/1024 =
>8,192 KB. By common usage, this is called 8MB. Now 8.338608 MB would be
>8.338608 * 1024 = 8,589.93 KB, which is about 400K over 2^23 bytes.
>
>The error seems to be dividing by 1000 to convert from 8,338,608 in
>converting from bytes to MB. A common mistake to those not computer
>literate. But I am surprised to see it here.

All right, now you've annoyed me.  ;-) _I_ did not make that mistake (I'm
quite familiar with it, from having to educate people about the real meaning
of 1 megabyte).  I was merely stating what I recall reading in the original
owner's manuals for the IIgs.  I can't find my manuals right now (dig, dig),
but that _is_ what I remember: slightly more than 8 megs for RAM, slightly
_less_ that 8 megs for ROM.  It's possible that has changed since, but that's
what I remember.

rhyde@koufax.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (06/22/91)

>> Bankswitching isn't necessary...

Gee, I wouldn't mind having several banks of bank 0 memory.  That would
make a process switcher much easier to deal with.

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (06/22/91)

The GS can address up to 16Megs of memory, however half of that is ROM and/or
I/O spaces. The 8Megs can all be RAM, however there are only 2 bank selector
lines for DMA, so only 4 banks in the memory expansion board can be accessed
using DMA. How big these banks are depends on the address lines available,
currently this is 1Meg per bank.

The practical limit to GS memory is 5.125Megs of RAM.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (06/22/91)

In article <17284@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>	If more memory were needed (I think 8 megs is a HELL of a lot,
>and even if a MultiFinder GS ever existed, I doubt you'd ever fill that much),
>go through the bother of building in VIRTUAL memory, which makes more memory
>invisible to the application.. That is, the operating system handles
>dealing with more memory, rather than the program doing bank switching
>crap.

I agree that explicitly dealing with bank switching is crap.
However, I disagree on other points.
No matter HOW much memory (also disk, also CPU power) one has,
he can devise an application that genuinely needs more.
More frequently, the programmer has assumed that a particular
implementation technique will suffice for virtually all uses of
the program; the most common example on the IIGS is requiring
all data of a certain type to fit into an array contained in
one 64KB data bank.  This sort of program limitation is avoidable,
but often avoiding such restrictions requires more work on the
part of the programmer, and if it is not perceived to be a
potentially frequent problem, many programmers would not bother.

In fact, 8MB is not very much memory by the standards of a lot of
applications that I've developed.  Such applications are cramped
when ported to the IIGS.  However, CPU power also gets to be a
factor when large amounts of data need to be processed, so 8MB
may be a fairly good match to the 65816's computational abilities.

One should not rely on virtual memory to extend the address space.
While it technically does that, it does so at a severe cost, such
that in many cases one would be much better off redesigning the
application to take EXPLICIT control over disk I/O rather than
allowing uncontrolled IMPLICIT disk I/O to occur via the virtual
memory system.

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (06/22/91)

In article <32395@dime.cs.umass.edu>,
gray@ibis.cs.umass.edu (Lyle Gray) writes:
> In article <43521@cup.portal.com> -Rich-@cup.portal.com (Richard Sherman
> Payne) writes:

[incorrect assumption Rich Payne didn't know how to multiply deleted]

> All right, now you've annoyed me.  ;-) _I_ did not make that mistake (I'm
> quite familiar with it, from having to educate people about the real meaning
> of 1 megabyte).  I was merely stating what I recall reading in the original
> owner's manuals for the IIgs.  I can't find my manuals right now (dig, dig),
> but that _is_ what I remember: slightly more than 8 megs for RAM, slightly
> _less_ that 8 megs for ROM.  It's possible that has changed since, but that's
> what I remember.

You are correct.  According to the GS/OS reference manual (page 32), the
memory map is as follows [edited for briefness].

RAM - Banks $00-$7F (8Megs)  +  Banks $E0-E1 (128K Shadow Ram)
Expansion ROM - Banks $F0-$FD
Total ROM Space - Banks $F0-$FD + Banks $FE-$FF (Onboard ROM)

If shadowing is on, of course, you only effectively have 8Megs of storage
because Banks $E0-$E1 mirror banks $00-$01.

--

In article <864@generic.UUCP>,
ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:
> The GS can address up to 16Megs of memory, however half of that is ROM and/or
> I/O spaces. The 8Megs can all be RAM, however there are only 2 bank selector
> lines for DMA, so only 4 banks in the memory expansion board can be accessed
> using DMA. How big these banks are depends on the address lines available,
> currently this is 1Meg per bank.

Be carful when you use the term 'bank' in the above context.  1 Memory Bank
as defined for the Apple IIgs memory map is 64K.  In the above example, you
mean 'rows'.  The memory expansion port only allows 4 rows of chips
(256K/row with 256 Kbit chips or 1Meg/row with 1MBit chips) to be addressed
by DMA. Applied Engineering did try to make 6 addressable rows by reading
some bus line in addition to the 2 bits (4 rows) used in the standard DMA
hardware but I don't remember what degree of success they had.

--
Joel Sumner                     GENIE:JOEL.SUMNER     This .sig may not be used
q4kx@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu   q4kx@cornella         for public viewing or
q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu       q4kx@crnlvax5         rebroadcast without the
....................................................  express written consent
The impedance of absolutely nothing is 377 ohms.      of major league baseball.

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (06/22/91)

>Re: Theoretical memory limit on the GS - 8 MB?  16 MB?  17.125 MB?
>
>I'm shocked.  In all of this thread I've seen, everyone has mentioned only
>what is directly accessible.  Has everyone forgotten the 128K 8-bits?  The
>address space on a 6502/65C02 is only 64K - surely someone could figure out
>a way to do something similar with the GS, no?
>----
>ProLine:  rhood@pro-gsplus                 | "Wherever you go...there you

Ok, there is NO theoretical limit to the ammount of memory on the GS.
TerraBytes and multi-mega-TerraBytes can be installed in a GS when
multi-mega-TerraByte RAM chips become available. however anything about 16Meg
is a RAM disk, 8MEg of that is ROM and 4Meg of the remaining is not DMA
compatible.

happy?

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (06/23/91)

>Be carful when you use the term 'bank' in the above context.  1 Memory Bank
>as defined for the Apple IIgs memory map is 64K.  In the above example, you
>mean 'rows'.  The memory expansion port only allows 4 rows of chips
>(256K/row with 256 Kbit chips or 1Meg/row with 1MBit chips) to be addressed
>by DMA. Applied Engineering did try to make 6 addressable rows by reading
>--
>Joel Sumner                     GENIE:JOEL.SUMNER     This .sig may not be
used

You are correct, Apple uses the term "row" for memory expansion, a bank is 64k
and there may be several banks in a row.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

tribby@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (David Tribby) (06/27/91)

I have an OctoRAM card in my ROM01 GS. Although I currently only have two
meg on it, I could load it up to eight meg. I also have an add-on board,
ESP, that uses battery-backed-up static RAM to form a ROM disk. This ROM
disk currently has a whopping 128K on it, but it is expandable out to
512K (1/2 meg).

One of the reasons I bought the OctoRAM back in '88 was that it was
designed to allow all of the expansion memory in the IIGS specification:
8 meg of RAM and 1/2 meg of ROM.

My memory map looks like this:

	Bank (64K each)
	$00 - $01	Built-in ROM01 RAM
	$02 - $21	2-meg on OctoRAM
	$22 - $81	Another 6-meg could be added to OctoRAM
              <unused memory space>
	$E0 - $E1	"Slow" built-in ROM01 RAM
              <unused memory space>
	$F0 - $F1	128K on ESP (ROM disk)
	$F2 - $F7	Another 384K available for ROM disk
	$F8 - $FD	"Reserved ROM space" (some used by ROM03)
	$FE - $FF	ROM01 firmware

A few years back, I read about incompatibilities between the upper 4 meg
of expansion RAM and DMA, so if I fully load the OctoRAM, banks $42 - $81
would not be compatible with all cards that use DMA.

When the ROM03 GS was released, it came with 1 meg of built-in memory and
used some of the reserved ROM space ($FC - $FD).

If I were to fully load my OctoRAM and ESP cards and put them in a ROM03,
wouldn't the memory look like this:

	Bank (64K each)
	$00 - $FF	Built-in ROM03 RAM
	$01 - $4F	4-meg on OctoRAM compatible with DMA
	$50 - $8F	Another 4-meg on OctoRAM incompatible with DMA
              <unused memory space>
	$E0 - $E1	"Slow" built-in ROM03 RAM
              <unused memory space>
	$F0 - $F7	512K on ESP (ROM disk)
	$F8 - $FB	"Reserved ROM space"
	$FC - $FF	ROM03 firmware

That would give me a 9 meg GS (9.625 if you add the "slow" RAM and ESP).

Would this work in a ROM03? Have I missed any "reserved" memory?

-- Dave Tribby
                                   - - - - -
tribby@hpda.cup.hp.com  or  tribby@cup.hp.com  or  hplabs!hpda!tribby

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (06/28/91)

In article <54240034@hpindwa.cup.hp.com> tribby@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (David Tribby) writes:
>	$22 - $81	Another 6-meg could be added to OctoRAM
>	$50 - $8F	Another 4-meg on OctoRAM incompatible with DMA

No, you cannot access "bank $8x" as RAM.  The IIGS has a hard upper limit
of 8MB total RAM space.

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (06/29/91)

|It's actually 8.388608MB, but that's considered '8MB'.  Just like, 1k is
|really 1024 bytes and 1MB is really 1 million plus 24kb.

People will have already pointed this out to you, but...

1024 bytes = 1K
1024 KB    = 1M

1024x1024 = 1M = 1,048,576

256K = .25MB (which comes with the ROM 2 (01) GS)
(1.125 MB on the ROM 3 GS)

You can an additional 8MB.

That gives you 8.25MB (which is correct) or 8,650,752 bytes total.

INET: whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com
UUCP: crash!gnh-starport!whitewolf
ARPA: crash!gnh-starport!whitewolf@nosc.mil

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (06/29/91)

|Re: Theoretical memory limit on the GS - 8 MB?  16 MB?  17.125 MB?
|
|I'm shocked.  In all of this thread I've seen, everyone has mentioned only
|what is directly accessible.  Has everyone forgotten the 128K 8-bits?  The
|address space on a 6502/65C02 is only 64K - surely someone could figure out
|a way to do something similar with the GS, no?
|Re: Theoretical memory limit on the GS - 8 MB?  16 MB?  17.125 MB?
|
|I'm shocked.  In all of this thread I've seen, everyone has mentioned only
|what is directly accessible.  Has everyone forgotten the 128K 8-bits?  The
|address space on a 6502/65C02 is only 64K - surely someone could figure out
|a way to do something similar with the GS, no?

We're talking about two different types of memory addressing here.

The max amount of memory the 65816 can address DIRECTLY is 16MB.  The max
amount of memory the GS can address is 8.25M of RAM and 1MB of ROM (this
includes ROM already built in) on the ROM 2 (01) GS.  On the ROM 3 GS you can
address 8.125MB and 1MB of ROM.  (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm
wrong).  All the stuff above deals with memory being addressed DIRECTLY.

The other is bank-switching and I and have no idea how or why you'd want to.

And one other type is virtual memory which hasn't been perfected for the GS.

Question sticks out in my mind, though... if you have a ROM 3 GS and add 8M to
it, you'd have 9.125MB... what would happen to the the top 1M?  would it be
available as a RAMdisk or would it end up been wasted... ???

curtis@achilles.ctd.anl.gov (Jeffrey Curtis ) (06/30/91)

In article <m0jtbiy-0000ozC@crash.cts.com> whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) writes:
>|Re: Theoretical memory limit on the GS - 8 MB?  16 MB?  17.125 MB?
>|
>|I'm shocked.  In all of this thread I've seen, everyone has mentioned only
>|what is directly accessible.  Has everyone forgotten the 128K 8-bits?  The
>|address space on a 6502/65C02 is only 64K - surely someone could figure out
>|a way to do something similar with the GS, no?
>The other is bank-switching and I and have no idea how or why you'd want to.

	Why you'd want to?  The same reasons anyone would want to on a //e:
what you're given isn't enough.  When you put 8 megs up against practical
applications, it's a small amount.  There are computers in Japan that have
over 4 gigabytes of RAM (I'll get exact figures later).  I'm sure they're
complaining of not having enough, too.  What if you want to digitize large
amounts of sound and video?  8 megs runs out quick.  So you add more and
bank switch.  It's easy to do if you're careful about the whole mess..

>Question sticks out in my mind, though... if you have a ROM 3 GS and add 8M to
>it, you'd have 9.125MB... what would happen to the the top 1M?  would it be
>available as a RAMdisk or would it end up been wasted... ???

	No, you just have to bank switch it.  ;^)

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
+ Jeffrey S. Curtis (708)972-8585 B41801 AT ANLVM curtis@achilles.ctd.anl.gov +
*        Computing and Telecommunications, Argonne National Laboratory 	      *
+ Want a free copy of Heatseeker, the Apple's fastest disk utility?  Mail me! +
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) (06/30/91)

curtis@achilles.ctd.anl.gov (Jeffrey Curtis ) writes:

>	Why you'd want to?  The same reasons anyone would want to on a //e:
>what you're given isn't enough.  When you put 8 megs up against practical
>applications, it's a small amount.  There are computers in Japan that have
>over 4 gigabytes of RAM (I'll get exact figures later).  I'm sure they're
>complaining of not having enough, too.  What if you want to digitize large
>amounts of sound and video?  8 megs runs out quick.  So you add more and
>bank switch.  It's easy to do if you're careful about the whole mess..

   The IIgs isn't a //e- even though the hardware has been described as a
'//e on steroids', because of the '816s extended instruction set and
16-bit architecture, the system software transforms the GS into a totally
different beast.  The GS architecture is strained as it is, adding any sort
of Apple-supported bank-switching to the GS would destroy it completely.
No, there are far better alternatives than bank switching (hard drives,
anyone?)
   Besides, I disagree with your contention that 8 megs of RAM in a GS
isn't enough.  Rarely do I run out of memory in my 1.75meg GS.  I'd like
to point out that I'm a heavy-duty developer, and Orca/C isn't the most
efficient of beasts, not to mention having things like GSbug, NiftyList,
and half a dozen other programmer's DA's installed.  I'd be totally
satisfied with 4meg- any application I chose to develop for the GS would
definitely fit in 4 meg.
   "But wait", you say, "there are Unix programs that require more than
4 megs to compile".  I'm writing *GS* programs, not Unix programs.  My
programs have to work on a 1meg machine.
   In any case, digitizing large amounts of sound and video?  I don't
want to sample 15 minutes of something.  What use would it be besides
to pretend your GS was a poor-quality tape recorder?  Same goes for
video.  Get a fast hard drive, and only having 8 megs of ram won't
bother you.