[comp.sys.apple2] RamFAST SCSI Card in ProDOS 8

apollo@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Amrit Chauhan) (06/11/91)

        I am going to be getting a RamFAST SCSI Card and was wondering, how
many paritions will it allow ProDOS 8 to see?  Is it like the Apple SCSI
card in only allowing Four (two in slot 7 and two in slot 6)?  That is what
the Apple SCSI card did for me in ProDOS 8, and all other partitions I had
were not visible.  So, what I'm asking is, if a parition exists in say slot
7.3 (not really though) will ProDOS 8 re-map it to a "readable" slot like
4.1 or whatever the case may be?

        Also, since I love comparisons so much, what EXACTLY does RamFAST
SCSI support that Apple SCSI does not?  I know RamFAST is better, but I'm
just wondering what the differences are.  Thanks guys.

Amrit

===The Hindu Love Gods BBS - - - - Bloomfield Hills, MI - - - -313/644-0481===
ProLine:  apollo@pro-hindugods                | Amrit S. Chauhan
Internet: apollo@pro-hindugods.cts.com        | Voice: 313/644-2971
UUCP:     crash!pro-hindugods!apollo          | Intel 9600ex Modem in use.
ARPA:     crash!pro-hindugods!apollo@nosc.mil | PPE member: thanks jwolverton
The only ProLine site in the 313 area.  Come on, someone buy a ProLine here :)

In article <1991Jun10.224148.24077@clark.edu> apollo@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Amrit Chauhan) writes:
>        Also, since I love comparisons so much, what EXACTLY does RamFAST
>SCSI support that Apple SCSI does not?  I know RamFAST is better, but I'm
>just wondering what the differences are.  Thanks guys.

	I have never had a RamFAST SCSI card.. I do have a DMA SCSI card.

	From what I have read and heard here, the RamFAST certainly does
not support any MORE types of devices. If anything, it supports LESS.

	I know that many if not all of these have been/will be supported
in future releases of the RamFAST, but apparently there used to be
(and may still be) conflicts between the RamFAST and:  removable media
(Syquest-based 45 meg cartridge drives; Floptical 20 meg floppies, etc),
CD drives, scanners, tape drives, etc.

	While I don't know about the availability of drivers for all of
those on the DMA SCSI card (Apple's), I know of no hardware technical
limitation which precludes their use. I do know that cartridge drives work
because I used one almost a year ago.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun10.224148.24077@clark.edu> apollo@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Amrit Chauhan) writes:

>        Also, since I love comparisons so much, what EXACTLY does RamFAST
>SCSI support that Apple SCSI does not?  I know RamFAST is better, but I'm
>just wondering what the differences are.  Thanks guys.

Well, one difference worth considering is that we (Apple) will guarantee that
our SCSI card will work with future system software.  We can't make such a
statement about anybody else's products.  To be sure we go out of our way to
make sure things work with third party products, but we can't guarantee
products which we don't make.

andy

--
Andy Nicholas			GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple IIGS System Software		    CompuServe: 70771,2615

gpoon@pro-micol.cts.com (Gregory Poon) (06/15/91)

The RAMFast card has 256K of cache on it and a fast MPU which makes I/O to
and from the hard drive much faster (though it makes the hard drive's own
cache redundant). If I remember correctly, it can boost transfer rate up to
300K/sec as opposed to something like 100K/sec with the Apple card. It also
allows you to have 12 partitions under ProDOS 8 plus a few non-essential
goodies like a password protection option and a built-in tape backup software.
With all that the RAMFast is supposed to be perfectly matched against the
Apple card as far as compatibility goes.
-------------------------------------------<Pro-micol (416) 731 - 3468>------
ProLine:   gpoon@pro-micol
Internet:  generic!pnet91!pro-micol!gpoon@zoo.toronto.edu
UUCP:      utzoo!generic!pnet91!pro-micol!gpoon
-------------------------------------------<24 hours   300/1200/2400  >------

georged@pro-harvest.cts.com (George Dybowski) (06/19/91)

I have found that GEOS from Berkley Software does not recognize the Apple
SCSI card but does work with the Ramfast card. I called Berkley Software
and verified this. I sold my Apple High Speed SCSI and purchased the
Ramfast card ver. 2.00 and GEOS now recognizes the hard drive.

georged@pro-harvest.cts.com (George Dybowski) (06/19/91)

I have the Ramfast card ver. 2.00 and you can have up to 12 partitions with
this card. The Ramfast maps non-disk slots for partitioning a hard drive.
Each slot can have 2 drives (drive 1 & 2). I am using an 80 Meg. hard drive
partitioned into four drives so that I can use all of the hard drive.

In article <8355.apple2.info.apple@pro-micol> gpoon@pro-micol.cts.com (Gregory Poon) writes:
.The RAMFast card has 256K of cache on it and a fast MPU which makes I/O to
.and from the hard drive much faster (though it makes the hard drive's own
.cache redundant). If I remember correctly, it can boost transfer rate up to
.300K/sec as opposed to something like 100K/sec with the Apple card. It also

	Apple's DMA card has a maximum throughput of 1 meg/second. That's
what the documentation says, to tell you where I get my stats.

	What I am interested is in someone telling us users the bootup
speed of a hard drive with a virgin copy of System 5.04 with a DMA card vs.
the RamFAST card.  And using the same interleave, just so the stats aren't
"messed up" by attempting to maximize each card's stats. (That is, an
interleave of 1 or 2, would be the best)

	Anyone interested in doing this and telling us how long it takes
to boot? (When I time things, I time from the system beep upon turning
on/resetting the machine to when you are in total control)

.allows you to have 12 partitions under ProDOS 8 plus a few non-essential
.goodies like a password protection option and a built-in tape backup software.
.With all that the RAMFast is supposed to be perfectly matched against the
.Apple card as far as compatibility goes.

	I thought that the RamFAST was supposed to be faster under ProDOS 8
too.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|
\                    It's a Late Night World.... Of Love                     /

andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) (06/21/91)

    I thought the RamFast SCSI had a maximum transfer rate of 1 Megabyte
per second.

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) (06/21/91)

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>	Apple's DMA card has a maximum throughput of 1 meg/second. That's
>what the documentation says, to tell you where I get my stats.

   The RAMFast also has a maximum theoretical transfer rate of 1 meg/second.
Ya know why?  The Apple II bus runs at 1 MHz.  DMA can transfer 1 byte per
bus cycle, thus the 1 meg/second.  Whether or not you can actually achieve
1 meg/second transfer depends HIGHLY upon the application and GS/OS.

>	I thought that the RamFAST was supposed to be faster under ProDOS 8
>too.

   The RAMfast under ProDOS 8 is tremendous. When I first got my RAMfast,
I was eager to test it out (my Quantum hadn't yet arrived) so I went over
to Rob K's place and plugged it into his generic SCSI drive.  Anyway, something
was wrong with his installation of GS/OS at the time so I booted into Prodos 8.
For some reason or other, after running a few things from Prodos 8, I shut
the drive off.  Then for an equally obscure reason, I continued to run
things from Prodos 8.  Everything I'd run was in the RAMfast's cache- Prodos,
Basic.System, and a couple applications.  It was neat (if not surprising).
    Anyway, Prodos 8 is speeded up so much compared to GS/OS because Prodos
8 doesn't have built in caching like GS/OS.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               |  "Twenty seven faces- with their eyes turned to
Graduated!/Comp Engineering |    the sky. I have got a camera, and an airtight

andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) (06/22/91)

    Can the Apple IIGS, with GS/OS 5.0.4 (actually, System 5.0.4), address
more than 32 Megabytes of a hard drive partition? I keep on seeing my hard
disks partitioned to two volumes- one 32 Megs and the other 8 Megs- and I'd
rather just have one 40 Meg partition.  I know this might cause problems
with Prodos 8 applications, but I really don't use that many.

andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) (06/22/91)

    Can the Apple High-Speed DMA SCSI Card handle a 1:1 interleave ratio?

taob@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Brian Tao) (06/22/91)

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

> 	What I am interested is in someone telling us users the bootup
> speed of a hard drive with a virgin copy of System 5.04 with a DMA card vs.
> the RamFAST card.  And using the same interleave, just so the stats aren't
> "messed up" by attempting to maximize each card's stats. (That is, an
> interleave of 1 or 2, would be the best)
>
> 	Anyone interested in doing this and telling us how long it takes
> to boot? (When I time things, I time from the system beep upon turning
> on/resetting the machine to when you are in total control)

    I have a RAMFast + Quantum 105 at 1:1 interleave.  Using a 12K
look-ahead cache (on the RAMFast, not the drive), minimum GS/OS and the
RAMFast driver, booting takes almost 7 seconds.  I type PR#6 at the
AppleSoft BASIC prompt and click the stopwatch as soon as I hit Return.  I
stop it when Prosel-16's Main Menu begins to appear on the text screen.
I think the exact figure was 6.9 seconds.

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (06/23/91)

In article <1991Jun22.093448.10290@clark.edu> andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) writes:
>Can the Apple IIGS, with GS/OS 5.0.4 (actually, System 5.0.4), address
>more than 32 Megabytes of a hard drive partition? I keep on seeing my hard
>disks partitioned to two volumes- one 32 Megs and the other 8 Megs- and I'd
>rather just have one 40 Meg partition.  I know this might cause problems
>with Prodos 8 applications, but I really don't use that many.

Yes, but only if one accesses the disk directly via the low-level SCSI
interface, not as a filesystem.  If GS/OS's "High Sierra" FST supported
writing as well as reading, you could use that, but it doesn't so you
can't.  The only supported read/write disk filesystem format is ProDOS,
and the ProDOS filesystem has an inherent design limit of 32MB.  This
has nothing to do with whether or not you use ProDOS-8 to access the
filesystem; it is inherent in the data organization.

Perhaps the rumored forthcoming IIGS System Disk 6.0 will provide some
FST that solves this (real and annoying) problem.

In article <1991Jun22.151841.13469@clark.edu> andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) writes:
>Can the Apple High-Speed DMA SCSI Card handle a 1:1 interleave ratio?

?  The SCSI Card does not care -- that's the business of the disk device
and its controller.  The Advanced Disk Utilities certainly allow you to
format the device at a 1:1 ratio, which is how all my SCSI disks are
formatted.  (Disks that have track buffer caches in the controller might
as well be formatted 1:1.)

In article <1991Jun22.151841.13469@clark.edu> andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) writes:
>    Can the Apple High-Speed DMA SCSI Card handle a 1:1 interleave ratio?

	I don't know what you mean by "handle" but in 5.04, when you
format/partition a hard drive, you get to choose between 1:1 and 2:1
interleave...
--

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (06/23/91)

In article <1991Jun22.151841.13469@clark.edu> andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) writes:

>    Can the Apple High-Speed DMA SCSI Card handle a 1:1 interleave ratio?

Yes.

andy

--
Andy Nicholas			GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple IIGS System Software		    CompuServe: 70771,2615
Apple Computer, Inc.			      InterNET: shrinkit@apple.com

andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) (06/24/91)

    Would GS/OS be faster with the RamFast SCSI Card if GS/OS's cache were
disabled from the Control Panel?

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.070143.9288@clark.edu> andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) writes:
>    Would GS/OS be faster with the RamFast SCSI Card if GS/OS's cache were
>disabled from the Control Panel?

Such questions are always application and system dependent;
however, I would expect for many applications a slight (probably
unmeasurable) LOSS of speed upon disabling the GS/OS cache,
even for a caching SCSI interface and/or disk controller.

In article <1991Jun25.070143.9288@clark.edu> andy@pro-palmtree.cts.com (Andy Stein) writes:

>    Would GS/OS be faster with the RamFast SCSI Card if GS/OS's cache were
>disabled from the Control Panel?

An interesting question.  I'll try to keep the hopefully interesting answer
short.

First, it's entirely theoretical, because you _can't_ disable the GS/OS cache
from the Control Panel.  Even when you turn it to 0K, GS/OS keeps a minimum
of 16K cache for it's own use.  More about this mechanism can be found in my
article on the subject in _develop_ #2, the text of which has been on all the
Developer CDs (and _develop_ CDs) since then.

Second, it's possible that it would be a little faster, but it's hard to
tell.  Most of the benefit we see from the cache in general GS/OS usage
comes from the FSTs (well, "FST" since we're probably not talking about
High Sierra here) which manage to cache "system" blocks automatically.  Things
such as directories and bit-maps which the FST is likely to need fairly often
are cached, because when the FST asks the driver to read the directory/bitmap
information, it requests that the driver cache the block.

All caching is done at the driver level -- all other parts of the system merely
request that drivers cache blocks if they can.  The driver may always refuse.
The 5.25" driver always refuses, for example, because it has problems
determining when disks are switched (and therefore, when to flush the cache).

For not caching to be faster than caching, the driver in question would always
have to be able to return the information from the device faster than it would
take to locate the block in the cache bucket chain and use 65816 instructions
to move it to the proper location.  For a RAMFast, this might be possible if
the cache on the card can DMA any block on the disk into memory without using
any seeks.  If the request is likely to cause a seek, though, the cache will
likely be faster.

BTW, since caching is done at the driver level, the RAMFast people could
fairly easily build a driver that doesn't use caching and gauge the performance
difference.  (Presuming, of course, that their existing driver does use the
GS/OS cache -- adding it would be harder than removing what's already there.)
Matt Deatherage, Developer Technical  | The opinions expressed herein are
Support, Apple Computer, Inc.         | not those of Apple Computer, and
Personal mail only, please.  Thanks.  | shame on you for thinking otherwise.
^^^^^^^^ Technical questions are not personal. Please post them instead.