[comp.sys.apple2] smartport damage

page@pro-party.cts.com (Niall Durham) (07/01/91)

I think I know why you are not supposed to plug in a smartport device, or
any device for that matter, while the computer is on.  I worked for a
company that repaired and made ibm compatible computers last year and
learned a bit.  When the computer gets turned on it sees that there is not
a device there it sends out voltage to the location and if something is
plugged in, the power builds up and trashes the port, as well as possibly
the motherboard.  Something like that, as I have no formal education in
electronics.

-page

----
ProLine:  page@pro-party