[comp.sys.apple2] Copy ][+ 9.0 problem

kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) (06/15/91)

I've got a problem with Copy ][+ v9.0 (and v8.4).  When I go to Catalog
a disk (my hard disk) it won't give me a tree display.  Anybody know
what's going on here?  I'm using ProDOS 8 v1.9 (I've changed to v1.8)
hoping that would solve the problem but it didn't.
| Move over Rover &  |Email Addresses: Kent Squires "goo goo g'joob"      |
| let Jimi take over!|                Internet: kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu |
| -------------------|                 ProLine: kents@pro-apa             |
| I wouldn't do it   |_______   America OnLine: kents12                   |
| for all the farms in Cuba! |         FidoNet: 233/15  Kent Squires      |
|____________________________|____________________________________________|

geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) (06/16/91)

Copy //+ Version 9.0...
  Trash it now!  If you have an older one, of course.  It has been known to
trash HD's on GS's and it doesn't do a whole lot for you anywany.  Read
A+/InCider's review of it for details.

Chris

Chris Moylan                    | ProLine: geniusman@pro-hindugods
CoSysop: Hindu Love Gods BBS    | Internet: geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com
313/644-0481                    | UUCP: crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman
300-9600 bps, v.32/v.42/v.42bis | ARPA: crash!pro-hindugods!geniusman@nosc.mil

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (06/18/91)

Problem with tree displays?

Well, what happens, is Copy II+, being the ignorant and retarded program
that it is, decides that if ANY directory in your file system has a read
error (or any other kind of error for that matter (it seems)), that it
will just completely give up the idea of a tree display and give you the
main directory.  Nobody uses subdirectories anyway, right?

(Can anyone tell that C2+ isn't my favorite program?)  :-)

It's slow, too.

                                                           - Andrew.
Well, okay... it DOES have a sector editor.... of course,
THAT won't even follow files anymore.  :(

P.S.  Please direct replies to: aabenson@mtu.edu.

curtis@achilles.ctd.anl.gov (Jeffrey Curtis ) (06/18/91)

In article <91168.162022AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET> AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
>Well, what happens, is Copy II+, being the ignorant and retarded program
>that it is...
>
>(Can anyone tell that C2+ isn't my favorite program?)  :-)
>
>It's slow, too.
>
>                                                           - Andrew.

You're not the only one who feels this way about C2+.  About two years ago,
I finally got fed up with the program's utter lack of power and said,
"Somebody really should write a better program."  Unfortunately, "someone"
ended up having to be me.  I wrote "Heatseeker", a P8 disk utility program
the destroys Copy //+ in almost every aspect, except for displays and
whatnot.  But when it comes to speed, I win hands-down:  where Copy //+
will take 15-20 minutes to perform a certain task (delete a hundred files,
copy files within a disk, etc.) my program does it all in less than ten
seconds.  "Really?" you say.  "So why haven't we seen this commercially?"
The answer is simple:  I wrote it in assembly, which means that every time
I want to add something (and no program's ever *really* complete, is it?),
I have to spend forever doing it, and it's *frustrating*.  I'd be willing
to toss a copy around for people to play with, but like all greedy
programmers, I wrote it with my hardware in mind, so I don't want the
liability of trashing someone's hard drive hanging over my head.  (Which
brings up another point - when I said "15 to 20 minutes", I was referring
to floppy drives, of course.  I've never seen C2+ on a hard drive).

Alas, the trials of laziness..  if anyone's interested in the program,
or wants to give me a big, fat contract to finish it B^) , drop me some
mail..

Jeff

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
+ Jeffrey S. Curtis (708)972-8585 B41801 AT ANLVM curtis@achilles.ctd.anl.gov +
*        Computing and Telecommunications, Argonne National Laboratory 	      *
+  "The opinions expressed above are mine only.  Who else would want them?!"  +
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (06/20/91)

From article <1991Jun16.064836.5940@clark.edu>, by geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan):

> Copy //+ Version 9.0...
>   Trash it now!  If you have an older one, of course.  It has been
> known to trash HD's on GS's and it doesn't do a whole lot for you
> anywany.  Read A+/InCider's review of it for details.

> Chris

Okay Chris,  Yea, it does have problems and he should get the
upgrade to version 9.1, but I used 9.0 for quite a while (with a
65meg. hdrive) and didn't experience any problems and I have been
using version 9.1 for a long time and it works fine.  I won't let
you do some things with GSOS special files (like with resource
forks) but that's because it's a ProDOS 8 program.  As for all of
the general run-of-the-mill files, it works fine.

Phil

|So when are we going to see all this advertising for the II's?|
| Phil Lindberg	      		 snail mail: 14414 S.E. 198 ST |
| UUCP: ..!uunet!bcstec!tahoma!prl3546       Renton, WA 98058  |
|    Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer                 |

express@pro-grouch.cts.com (Jeff Goodman) (06/20/91)

Go ahead lets see "HeatSeeker"?

//

avery@netcom.COM (Avery Colter) (06/24/91)

geniusman@pro-hindugods.cts.com (Chris Moylan) writes:

>Copy //+ Version 9.0...
>  Trash it now!  If you have an older one, of course.  It has been known to
>trash HD's on GS's and it doesn't do a whole lot for you anywany.  Read
>A+/InCider's review of it for details.

Really? I haven't had any problem with 9.0. In fact, I use it's app menu
ability to dearchive my telecomm program into /RAM5 and then run the
comm from 9.0's app menu.

--
  ^     ^ 	Avery Ray Colter
 /^\___/^\    	avery@netcom.netcom.com		{apple|claris}!netcom!avery

dales@pro-novapple.cts.com (Dale Smith) (07/01/91)

I would be interested in seeing your Heatseaker program - sounds
interesting.

My hardware: IIgs with CV Technologies GS Memory Board w/ 4 Megs (ooops,
ROM 01 GS); 2 AppleDisk 3.5 drives; 1 //c Unidisk 5.25" drive; a hard drive
will return to the system sometime - my Sider D4 died a noisy death and I'm
working on saving for a Quantum 105 and a RAMFast SCSI interface card drive
- it'll be some time till that's realized.

Do you notice any problem areas there?

I think you'd have to BinSCII a ShrinkIt archive of the program to get it
to me in mail.  However, if it's huge (which I suspect it isn't) it might
not be appropriate to e-mail it - in which case we can discuss some
alternatives.

Thanks in advance ...
                                        Dale Smith

proline: dales@pro-novapple      |ARPA:   crash!pro-novapple!dales@nosc.mil
uucp: crash!pro-novapple!dales   |BITNET: dales%pro-novapple.cts.com@nosc.mil
Inet: dales@pro-novapple.cts.com |
Northern Virginia Apple Users Group >pro-novapple< 703-671-0416/300-9600 baud