[comp.sys.apple2] 5.25 Driver question

basilisk@spica.ucsb.edu (Can't touch this...) (06/28/91)

I've tried to make the 5.25 driver inactive, but it crashes the system
software when it do it.  Why does this happen?  I boot off of my hard
drive and if I'm not going to use the 5.25, I disconnect it since my
GS insists on polling the drives when launching an application and it
takes it a while to figure out there is nothing in the 5.25.  I'd
prefer just to activate or deactivate the driver, but as mentioned
before, this doesn't seem to work.  Any help would be appreciated,
thanks in advance!

--
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
| Basilisk, who is he?  Basilisk, what is he?   | Ed Jordan               |

In article <12260@hub.ucsb.edu> basilisk@cornu.ucsb.edu writes:
>I've tried to make the 5.25 driver inactive, but it crashes the system
>software when it do it.  Why does this happen?  I boot off of my hard
>before, this doesn't seem to work.  Any help would be appreciated,
>thanks in advance!

	I really don't know why that's happening..

	I suggest that you re-install the system software (using the
Installer, of course!), and try again.

	If it still doesn't work, I've got another suggestion. Simply change
slot 6 from Disk Port to your card (or vice versa if you're actually
using a Disk ][ card for some insane reason).

	For a while at school I was using my 2 Disk ][ drives (err, one gen-
uine Apple, one a clone) as bookends. I thought it was mildly humorous
that such expensive hardware is basically only usable as bookends anymore..
(IMHO!)
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu       Apple IIGS Forever!        unknown@cats.ucsc.edu\
|WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me.|

benson@vuse.vanderbilt.edu (Paul Benson) (06/28/91)

In article <12260@hub.ucsb.edu> basilisk@cornu.ucsb.edu writes:
>I've tried to make the 5.25 driver inactive, but it crashes the system
>software when it do it.  Why does this happen?  I boot off of my hard
>drive and if I'm not going to use the 5.25, I disconnect it since my
>GS insists on polling the drives when launching an application and it
>takes it a while to figure out there is nothing in the 5.25.  I'd
>prefer just to activate or deactivate the driver, but as mentioned
>before, this doesn't seem to work.  Any help would be appreciated,
>thanks in advance!

  What I usually do when I don't want my 5.25 polled is go into the control
  panel & change slot 6 from Disk Port to My Card.  This may not work for
  you since I don't know your setup, but it works for me.  I don't think
  I have to disable/enable the driver either; just the slot assignment
  change, but play around.

--
  Paul 'BaJa' Benson
  Vanderbilt University

slhood@bluemoon.uucp (Stephen L. Hood) (06/28/91)

basilisk@spica.ucsb.edu (Can't touch this...) writes:

> I've tried to make the 5.25 driver inactive, but it crashes the system
> software when it do it.  Why does this happen?  I boot off of my hard
> drive and if I'm not going to use the 5.25, I disconnect it since my
> GS insists on polling the drives when launching an application and it
> takes it a while to figure out there is nothing in the 5.25.  I'd
> prefer just to activate or deactivate the driver, but as mentioned
> before, this doesn't seem to work.  Any help would be appreciated,
> thanks in advance!

Before I say anything else, I just want to point out something rather
important.  You may already know this, and just didn't state it in your
message, but you should NEVER unplug a SmartPort device while the computer
is on.  To tell you the truth, I have no idea why this is (anyone?), but I
have it on authority that this can cause damage to other devices.  I have
also heard similar advice concerning ADB devices.  If anyone has more info
on this, please share it!

As far as your mysterious crashes, does the system hang or do you receive
a fatal error?  Although I have no idea what your problem is :), I have an
idea that may serve the same purpose as deactivating the driver.  You
could create a folder in your Drivers folder (or use FINDER.PATCHER to put
the folder on the desktop or something) and place the 5.25 driver in the
folder when unneeded.  It would be simple enough to just drag it back and
forth.

Hope this helps...

Stephen L. Hood                      "WARNING:  MOS circuits are subject
                                       to damage from static discharge!"
Internet:  slhood@bluemoon.uucp
UUCP    :  ...osu-cis!n8emr!bluemoon!slhood

RMARTIN@UTCVM.BITNET (Drew Martin) (06/30/91)

<12260@hub.ucsb.edu> basilisk@cornu.ucsb.edu said:
>I've tried to make the 5.25 driver inactive, but it crashes the system
>software when it do it.  Why does this happen?  I boot off of my hard
>drive and if I'm not going to use the 5.25, I disconnect it since my
>GS insists on polling the drives when launching an application and it
>takes it a while to figure out there is nothing in the 5.25.  I'd
>prefer just to activate or deactivate the driver, but as mentioned
>before, this doesn't seem to work.

    What I do is create a folder in my drivers directory, UNUSED, and I move
the 5.25 driver into it, no problems.  The only time I need my 5.25" in GS/OS
is when pulling in some old Appleworks thing I did or a new II game.

                          Signed,
                              Drew
                                 The Ram
                                   Erik Leatherback
                                    Duncan & Ranthulfr
                                     Richard Andrew(Drew) Martin

   "When things look their worst I just say to myself, 'Cheer up,
things could be worse.' and sure enough, they are."
                                                Skeeve, (The Great)

   "Gee Aahz, what could go wrong?"   - Skeeve (a... native of Klah)
   "The mind boggles."                - Aahz   (a pervECT)

bbarba@pro-torii.cts.com (Bob Barba) (06/30/91)

In the System/Drivers folder remove the 5.25 drive icon and trash it.  Now
under GS/OS the drive isn't there.  When you boot a Pro-Dos 8 application
i.e. AW3.0 your 5.25 drive is reconized again.

----
ProLine:  bbarba@pro-torii                         | Pro-Torii (Iwakuni, Japan)
Internet: bbarba@pro-torii.cts.com                 | 011-81-611-753-4846
UUCP:     crash!pro-torii!bbarba                   | Hrs: 8pm - 5am Mon-Thr
Mail: Bob Barba, PO Box 139  FPO Seattle, Wa 98764 |      8pm Fri - 5am Mon

petroski@mwunix.mitre.org (Frank Petroski) (07/01/91)

basilisk@spica.ucsb.edu (Can't touch this...) writes:

>I've tried to make the 5.25 driver inactive, but it crashes the system
>software when it do it.  Why does this happen?  I boot off of my hard
>drive and if I'm not going to use the 5.25, I disconnect it since my
>GS insists on polling the drives when launching an application and it
>takes it a while to figure out there is nothing in the 5.25.  I'd
>prefer just to activate or deactivate the driver, but as mentioned
>before, this doesn't seem to work.  Any help would be appreciated,
>thanks in advance!

It works for me.  I'm using 5.0.4 on a ROM 01 GS.  I think it also worked
on 5.0.2.  Have no problem activating it/deactivating it with the finder.