[comp.text.tex] Info on WEB?

mason@tmsoft.uucp (Dave Mason) (02/21/90)

In article <1990Feb20.154006.9844@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> meuer@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Mark V. Meuer) writes:
>>WEB is an enhanced Pascal created by Knuth to ameliorate programming in
>>Pascal.
>
>There is also a version called Spidery WEB which has been enhanced to
>work with many different languages including C and ADA.  I'm not sure
>where you can get it, though.  Can someone else post an anonymous FTP
>address?

Here's part of the README from Spidery Web.  It includes the ftp address.

	../Dave

---------------
Spidery WEB comes with the following languages:

Directory	Description

ada		Ada
awk		AWK, a string processing language
c		Kernighan and Ritchie C
dijkstra	Edsger Dijkstra's language of guarded commands
larch		The Larch Shared Language, used for specifying
		equational theories.
penelope	Ada, extended with formal comments for verification
ssl		The language of the Cornell Synthesizer Generator

Each of these directories has a file called 'make'.  The settings in that file
determine the name that the executable versions of WEAVE and TANGLE have
for that particular language.  The names of the Spider files are also given.
See doc/spiderman.tex for details on using Spider.

To make weave or tangle, change to the directory for the chosen language,
and type `make weave' or `make tangle'.  `make web' will make both weave
and tangle.

Spidery WEB is in beta test.  It is available by anonymous ftp from
princeton.edu:~ftp/pub.  By copying it and using it you agree to
report bugs, bug fixes, and changes to me, at the address below.

Spidery WEB is not in the public domain; you are welcome to use it for
free for research purposes only.

Norman Ramsey
nr@princeton.edu
Telephone (609)-452-5135

tml@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) (02/21/90)

In article <3460@tukki.jyu.fi> suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) writes:
>In article <1990Feb20.023207.13529@cs.rochester.edu> ken@cs.rochester.edu writes:
><WEB is an enhanced Pascal created by Knuth to ameliorate programming in
><Pascal. It also has constructs to allow code and documentation to be
>There is also program WEB2C that translates WEB to C code. The code is
>much more portable than the Pascal code...

(Actually web2c translates Pascal to C.)  There is also a free
Pascal-to-C translator which is better than the web2c system (which,
after all, is a bit of a hack).  The translator, ptc, was posted to
the net some years ago.  I have made some enhancements to it, and
could make it available for ftp if there is interest.  I have used it
to compile TeX 2.93 et al. successfully (don't yet ask about 2.9993).
--
Tor Lillqvist,
working, but not speaking, for the Technical Research Centre of Finland

kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Rpp) (02/21/90)

In article <1990Feb20.154006.9844@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> meuer@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Mark V. Meuer) writes:

> There is also a version called Spidery WEB which has been enhanced to
> work with many different languages including C and ADA.  I'm not sure
> where you can get it, though.  Can someone else post an anonymous FTP
> address?

There is a CWEB which comes with the TeX distribution (in the tex82
directory). It compiles and runs under Xenix just fine (just one line
in the sources needed to change).

WEB (in its many incarnations) seems like a great idea!

			---Kayvan
--
| Kayvan Sylvan @ Transact Software, Inc. -*-  Los Altos, CA (415) 961-6112 |
| Internet: kayvan@{mrspoc.Transact.com, eris.berkeley.edu, net.bio.net}    |

darrylo@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (02/22/90)

In comp.text.tex, tml@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) writes:

> (Actually web2c translates Pascal to C.)  There is also a free
> Pascal-to-C translator which is better than the web2c system (which,
> after all, is a bit of a hack).  The translator, ptc, was posted to
> the net some years ago.  I have made some enhancements to it, and
> could make it available for ftp if there is interest.  I have used it
> to compile TeX 2.93 et al. successfully (don't yet ask about 2.9993).

     There is, in my opinion, an even better Pascal to C/C++ translator
available.  At the end of this message, I've included a copy of a
posting from comp.archives that describes where/how to get it.

     Note that I'm just a happy user; I have NO connection with the
author of this program other than as a user.

     Not only does this translator produce human-readable code, it will
use *different* C code constructs depending on how many times an array
is referenced within a loop and on whether or not the procedure being
translated is a nested procedure.  It is a very intelligent translator,
and actually spends quite a bit of time trying to reformat the
translated C code to a user-definable indentation specification; it can
actually make unreadable (i.e., poorly-formatted) Pascal code appear
readable.

Features:

1. It can handle more than one dialect of "Pascal" (note that Modula-2 is
   in this list):

        HP (default; Pascal Workstation version)
        MODCAL (HP's advanced Pascal)
        HP-UX (almost same as HP)
        TURBO (vers 5.0 for IBM PC)
        OREGON (Oregon Software Pascal-2 V2.1)
        VAX (VAX/VMS Pascal)
        MODULA (Modula-2)
        UCSD (almost same as TURBO)
        MPW (MPW Pascal 2.0 for the Mac)

2. It can translate to C (K&R or ANSI) or C++ code.

3. Target machines can be: HPUX-300, SUN-68K, BSD-VAX, BSD, or SYSV

     -- Darryl Okahata
	UUCP: {hplabs!, hpcea!, hpfcla!} hpnmd!darrylo
	Internet: darrylo%hpnmd@hpcea.HP.COM

constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.

From: reid@cpswh.cps.msu.edu (Dr Richard J. Reid)
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1990 02:26:57 GMT
Subject: [comp.lang.c] Summary: Pascal_to_C Translator
Newsgroups: comp.archives

Archive-name: p2c/how-to-get
Archive-site: csvax.caltech.edu [192.12.18.1]
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

Thanks to those who have responded.  The translator is
available from the ftp source:  csvax.caltech.edu
as p2c.

It was written by Dave Gillespie and has provisions
for recognizing several dialects of Pascal.  The translator
also accepts a Modula-2 flag for that source.

There was one inquiry about the AT&T FORTRAN_2_C but
I can't find my references about that.  I know I
saw it posted here somewhere within the last few weeks.
Any help?

Dick