[comp.text.tex] Making Fonts

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (dhosek) (02/24/90)

> > of various dvi-drivers from Texas, but I'm having trouble making
> > all the fonts needed.  I would assume that the dvi programs can
> > make the fonts as they need them, but I don't know how to implement
> > this.  Specfically, I am trying to use dvijep and dvijet, and they
> > are looking for pk files that don't exist.  Rather than creating
> > them magically, it just barfs errors.

There are a number of drivers which _can_ generate fonts on the fly,
but this is not a standard feature and never will be (as chair of the
DVI standards committee, I remeber the discussion on this matter).
Part of the reason, as Sebastian pointed out is the drain on system
resources (MF can be painfully slow on a PC, not much less so on a
MicroVax, although it seems pretty happy on an IBM 3081). Other reasons
include the fact that downloaded-on-the-fly fonts are not an option
with some printers (e.g., large Xeroxen), among others. The
discussion on this took place last summer and is archived at
sun.soe.clarkson.edu.

-dh
--
Important note: The Anti-Social Committee will not be meeting this
                week.