[comp.text.tex] Sample PiCTeX files?

wickert@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Dave Wickert) (02/21/90)

Before I purchase the PiCTeX manual from TUG, I would like to see
some sample pictures integrated into latex.  I have a distribution
that I anonymous ftp'ed across the net, but it does not include any
sample files.  Can anyone email me some short sample files that
they might have laying around that use PiCTeX and latex.

Many Thanks.

_-_- Dave

sdean1@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP (Steven A. Dean) (02/23/90)

I was under the understanding that the PiCTeX manual source was available
somewhere.  Perhaps I was being mislead but a professor at this university
had a copy for a while and I have been looking for it for ages (literally
years).  Does anyone know what the status of this manual is and where, if
anywhere, I can find it?

Thanks muchly,
   Steve
--
Steven A. Dean
Consultant, University of Victoria, Victoria, B.C., GWN

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (dhosek) (02/24/90)

In article <922@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP> sdean1@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP (Steven A. Dean) writes:
>I was under the understanding that the PiCTeX manual source was available
>somewhere.  Perhaps I was being mislead but a professor at this university
>had a copy for a while and I have been looking for it for ages (literally
>years).  Does anyone know what the status of this manual is and where, if
>anywhere, I can find it?

The PiCTeX manual is _copyright_. You can *buy* it for $35 from the
TeX Users Group

  TeX Users Group
  P.O. Box 9506
  Providence, RI 02940 (USA)
  401-751-7760
  tug@math.ams.com

There was at one time, a copy of pictex.dvi floating around, but that
was a mistake on the part of an early distributor. If you have a copy
you should delete it.

The proceeds from sales of the PiCTeX manual go to the TeX Users Group
(well worth the proceeds... they have reached the point where in addition
to just subsisting, they can now "reinvest" in TeX--they are funding the
completion of BibTeX 1.0) and to Michael Wichura, author of the package.

On general principle, I get upset by this too-frequent query, but I'm
feeling subdued today.

-dh
--
Important note: The Anti-Social Committee will not be meeting this
                week.