[comp.text.tex] Including postscript in LaTeX

ted@nieland.DAYTON.OH.US (Ted Nieland) (02/22/90)

Len Schwer of SRI wrote up a very nice set of instructions for including
postscript drawings in LaTeX.  It is a fairly long document.

It has been submitted to the EPUBS SIG of DECUS for publication in their
Newsletter and it is also on the Fall 1989 DECUS VAX/L&T SIG tape in the
EPUBS directory.

I highly recommend it for anyone who is looking to include postscript
in a LaTeX Document.

--
M. Edward (Ted) Nieland

Ted@NIELAND.DAYTON.OH.US     (aka  uunet!dayvb!nieland!ted)

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (dhosek) (02/23/90)

In article <00093.AA00093@nieland.DAYTON.OH.US> ted@nieland.DAYTON.OH.US (Ted Nieland) writes:
>Len Schwer of SRI wrote up a very nice set of instructions for including
>postscript drawings in LaTeX.  It is a fairly long document.

>I highly recommend it for anyone who is looking to include postscript
>in a LaTeX Document.

An abbreviated form of this article, focusing on the details of getting
Mac graphics into an includable form, will appear in a future issue of
TUGboat (probably 11#2). The full report plus modified laserprep files
will be made available for anonymous FTP concurrently. Mr. Schwer is at
present making some significant revisions to portions of the article.

-dh
--
"Odi et amo, quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
   nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior"          -Catullus

jeuck@unix.SRI.COM (Philip Jeuck) (02/23/90)

In article <00093.AA00093@nieland.DAYTON.OH.US> ted@nieland.DAYTON.OH.US (Ted Nieland) writes:
>Len Schwer of SRI wrote up a very nice set of instructions for including
>postscript drawings in LaTeX.  It is a fairly long document.

Len is a friend of mine and although SRI used to take credit for him
he now only uses SRI for net access.  His current employer is APTEK of
San Jose and Colorado Springs.

Phil Jeuck
jeuck@unix.sri.com

ulysses@astro.as.utexas.edu (Ulysses Li) (02/23/90)

(Ted Nieland) writes:

> Len Schwer of SRI wrote up a very nice set of instructions for including
> postscript drawings in LaTeX.  It is a fairly long document.
>
> It has been submitted to the EPUBS SIG of DECUS for publication in their
> Newsletter and it is also on the Fall 1989 DECUS VAX/L&T SIG tape in the
> EPUBS directory.
>
> I highly recommend it for anyone who is looking to include postscript
> in a LaTeX Document.

Seems to me that quite a few people have got very complicated
approaches to include the PostScript files into LaTeX. However,
I learned this technique from a user at our local computer,
which I feel much simpler. I'd like to explain briefly how it
works with example of my current report writing.

I first have my astronomical CCD photo converted into a standard
PostScript file called, say ``photo.ps'' in my home directory.
Then you just simply modify the file ``photo.ps'' a bit by deleting
commands that will cause the execution of LaserWriter such as
``%!'' and ``showpage'' from it. Then I just need to put the
following lines into the LaTeX context of my report.

	\begin{figure}
	\vspace{5.5in}
	\special{psfile=photo.ps hscale=0.56 vscale=0.56 hoffset=20}
	\caption{The CCD Photometric Picture of QSO 0957 + 561 A \& B}
	\label{ccdpic}
	\end{figure}

After that, I just go ahead doing the compiling of the LaTeX context as
we usually do with ``latex file.tex'' to get the DVI file ``file.dvi''.
Then I convert the DVI file ``file.dvi'' into PostScript file
``file.ps'' with command ``dvi2ps file.dvi > file.ps''. In this step,
the previous PostScript figure ``photo.ps'' will be automatically inserted
into the appropriate place of ``file.ps''. Then I just print out the
PostScript file ``file.ps'' on LaserWriter like you usually do to print
PosrScript files. The figure just goes nicely with the context of my
report.

Hope this is helpful.

--
Ulysses Li
ARPA:	ulysses@astro.as.utexas.edu

In many articles many people write about `the' way to include PostScript
figures in TeX and LaTeX.  Of course, every procedure is different and
some are mutually incompatible.

The reason is simple: there is no single way to do it.

The way you do this on your system is specific to your system.  No one
else's approach will work unless you have the same software, or software
with the same origin, or the same design.

Fortunately, there seem to be only about four major variants out.

1. psfig/TeX.  This is an adaptation of `psfig', written by Trevor Darrel
   and friends.  (The adaptation included work by Trevor Darrel.)  This
   work was originally done at UPenn.

2. `psfile='.  This appears in a number of related and unrelated dvi to
    PostScript converters.  It simply `sucks in' a PostScript file, and
    applies optional scaling and such.

3. Tomas Rokicki's scheme.  He supports both 1 and 2, and also other \special
   operations.  As far as I know, some of his are unique to his dvi to PS
   program (that is, appear in no dvi-to-PS programs other than his).

4. tpic.  This is an adaptation of `pic', a commercial system for use with
   ditroff, by Tim Morgan at UC Irvine.  This is a very convenient system,
   but requires that you have a legal copy of pic.

My driver (part of the MC-TeX system) supports 1. and 2., and should soon
(hah!) support 4.

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (dhosek) (02/24/90)

An important note to anyone who is of the copy, type, and try mold:

\special commands vary from DVI driver to DVI driver. Anything that
you type will not necessarily work when it's actually tried (the
error, of course will show up in the DVIto??? stage).

-dh
--
Important note: The Anti-Social Committee will not be meeting this
                week.