[comp.text.tex] MetaFont parameters for writewhite engines

vkr@osupyr.mps.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (02/24/90)

I would like to know the ``ideal'' parameters to use for the CM fonts for
use with the Ricoh 300dpi writewhite engines, which is used in the low end
laser printers from IBM, TI etc. Long time back someone in comp.fonts
suggested using ``mode=ti''. But I have been unable to locate the needed
file.

Thanks in advance.

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (dhosek) (02/24/90)

In article <1423@osupyr.mps.ohio-state.edu> Vidhyanath K. Rao <vkr@osupyr.mps.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>I would like to know the ``ideal'' parameters to use for the CM fonts for
>use with the Ricoh 300dpi writewhite engines, which is used in the low end
>laser printers from IBM, TI etc. Long time back someone in comp.fonts
>suggested using ``mode=ti''. But I have been unable to locate the needed
>file.

Write-white printers are, in general, a problem. They are, also, usually
quite fast and on occasion inexpensive. Many moons ago, it was suggested
in TUGboat that one make a mod to the macros of MF to prevent any line
from being less than two pixels wide. This, however, is not a very
robust solution (Levy's Greek fonts, for example, break under the
pressure).

In experiments at Texas A&M University whose results were never
published, it was found that for optimum results, no fewer than
10(!) mode_def's were required to create fonts for their Xerox
high speed printers (9700s and 4050s). Because this work was
never published, I doubt that similar mode_def "sets" exist for
other printers.

-dh
--
Important note: The Anti-Social Committee will not be meeting this
                week.