[comp.text.tex] What's the difference?

npreyer@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Norris Preyer) (02/26/90)

As an experiment, I recently formatted my nascent thesis with both
TeXtures (version 1.2) and OzTeX (version 1.2) on my mac.  I had made
new versions of latex.fmt from the 7 Dec. 1989 release of LaTeX, and
both read the same .sty files.  To my surprise, the memory used by the
two programs was not the same:

from TeXtures:
Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 462 strings out of 2009
 3498 string characters out of 28082
 37764 words of memory out of 65536
 2306 multiletter control sequences out of 3000
 32 hyphenation exceptions out of 307
 16i,13n,20p,295b,433s stack positions out of 200i,40n,60p,2000b,1000s
Output written on thesis (34 pages, 71204 bytes).

from OzTeX:
Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 426 strings out of 2098
 3196 string characters out of 13954
 37921 words of memory out of 60001
 2233 multiletter control sequences out of 2500
 20060 words of font info for 76 fonts, out of 27000 for 100
 18 hyphenation exceptions out of 307
 16i,13n,20p,312b,433s stack positions out of 200i,40n,60p,500b,600s
Output written on thesis.dvi (34 pages, 71208 bytes).

Anyone know what could cause this difference?  btw, the new ability
of TeXtures to read external PICT files is _very_ nice.

jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (02/26/90)

In article <3993@mit-caf.MIT.EDU>, npreyer@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Norris Preyer) writes:
>As an experiment, I recently formatted my nascent thesis with both
>TeXtures (version 1.2) and OzTeX (version 1.2) on my mac.  I had made
>new versions of latex.fmt from the 7 Dec. 1989 release of LaTeX, and
>both read the same .sty files.  To my surprise, the memory used by the
>two programs was not the same:
.
.
.
>Anyone know what could cause this difference?  btw, the new ability
>of TeXtures to read external PICT files is _very_ nice.

     Actually, I would be surprised if they were the same.  Also, that
would suggest that one of them copied the code of the other.  They should
be different because they are different programs.  They are both
implementations of TeX, and (presumably) they both satisfy DEK's TRIP test
(or is it TRAP - I don't claim to be a wizard), but beyond that, how they
produce .DVI files is entirely up to the programmer.

| John Price                   | BITNET:   price@uclaph                   |
| 5-145 Knudsen Hall           | Internet: jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu |
| UCLA Dept. of Physics        | DECnet:   uclapp::jprice                 |
| Los Angeles, CA  90024-1547  | YellNet:  213-825-2259                   |