[comp.text.tex] Postscript figures in TeX/LaTeX

jim@euler.math.psu.edu (Jim Duncan) (02/22/90)

In article <9766@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> srivasta@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Sanjeev Srivastav) writes:

   I would like to use the Psfig program for inserting figures in my LaTeX
   document.  Will this work with the dvialw program?

No, it won't.  Well, it probably won't.

   Must I use dvi2ps for this?

You should use version 3.1 of dvi2ps which was put together by Kevin
Coombes, <kevin@math.lsa.umich.edu>.  Apparently there are many different
versions of dvi2ps floating around the network, each the product of a
different branch of development -- what works with one dvi2ps might not work
with another.  Mr. Coombes has combined the best of many different versions.
We have used his dvi2ps in combination with Psfig/TeX to produce documents
containing a combination of USENIX FaceSaver images, MacDraw drawings, and
drawings composed from short Postscript routines.

I didn't install dvi2ps here, so I don't know where it was ftp'ed from; I
suggest you contact the author at the above e-mail address.  If I find out
more, I'll post a followup.

	Jim

--
   Jim Duncan <jim@math.psu.edu> Penn State Math Dept Systems Administrator
    ``Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.''

schwer@unix.SRI.COM (Leonard E. Schwer) (02/22/90)

In article <E_mxwg@cs.psu.edu> jim@euler.math.psu.edu (Jim Duncan) writes:
>   I would like to use the Psfig program for inserting figures in my LaTeX
>   document.  Will this work with the dvialw program?
>No, it won't.  Well, it probably won't.
>   Must I use dvi2ps for this?
>You should use version 3.1 of dvi2ps which was put together by Kevin
>Coombes, <kevin@math.lsa.umich.edu>.  Apparently there are many different
	A version of dvi2ps, along with the \psfig macros, can be
	FTPed from LINC.CIS.UPENN.EDU look in the directory
	dist/psfig.

	I don't kow the author nor the version number.

		--Len Schwer   micro2.schwer@sri.com

verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) (02/24/90)

In article <E_mxwg@cs.psu.edu> jim@euler.math.psu.edu (Jim Duncan) writes:

>You should use version 3.1 of dvi2ps which was put together by Kevin
>Coombes, <kevin@math.lsa.umich.edu>.  Apparently there are many different
>versions of dvi2ps floating around the network, each the product of a
>different branch of development -- what works with one dvi2ps might not work
>with another.  Mr. Coombes has combined the best of many different versions.

I agree.  Kevin has done a great job combining all the versions of dvi2ps
into a single version which does everything.  I would love to see people
start working on Kevin's merge and nuke the rest.

Kevin put up his dvi2ps on: tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:/pub/dvi3ps.tar.Z
There is also a copy on pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu:/pub/tex/dvi3ps.tar.Z

Cheers,
Mark

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (02/26/90)

 `>
 `
 `I agree.  Kevin has done a great job combining all the versions of dvi2ps
 `into a single version which does everything.  I would love to see people
 `start working on Kevin's merge and nuke the rest.

As one of the authors of one of the dvi2ps's Kevin used, I wholeheartedly
agree. I stopped development of mine in favour of his. Although I think a
few things still remain to be added.
 `
 `Kevin put up his dvi2ps on: tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:/pub/dvi3ps.tar.Z
 `There is also a copy on pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu:/pub/tex/dvi3ps.tar.Z
 `
For Europe I have a copy on sol.cs.ruu.nl [131.211.80.5], file
pub/TEX/dvi3ps.tar.Z, also available from mail-server@cs.ruu.nl (send a
HELP message for more info).
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.