[comp.text.tex] Font for number classes

kgk@cs.brown.edu (Keiji Kanazawa) (02/22/90)

Does anybody have a font, or otherwise know a simple method, to get
what one might call the ``twin line left hand-side'' version of the
number class symbols, i.e., the ones that looks like

||\   |
|| \  |
||  \ |
||   \|

for ``the numbers'' and

----
||   \
||----
||  \
||   \

for ``the reals'', etc.?  I tend to use \cal for other things and
there seems to be no equivalent of \Re for ``N''.

Keiji Kanazawa
kgk@cs.brown.edu

jsv@cs.brown.edu (Jeff Vitter) (02/23/90)

The TeX version of those symbols are called \aleph and \Re,
I think.
  -- J

Prof. Jeff Vitter                   email: jsv@cs.brown.edu
Brown University                    phone: (401) 863-7646
Providence, R.I. 02912-1910         FAX:   (401) 863-7657

root@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl (Privileged Account) (02/23/90)

kgk@cs.brown.edu (Keiji Kanazawa) writes:

>Does anybody have a font, or otherwise know a simple method, to get
>what one might call the ``twin line left hand-side'' version of the
>number class symbols, i.e., the ones that looks like

>||\   |
>|| \  |
>||  \ |
>||   \|

>----
>||   \
>||----
>||  \
>||   \

I want them. I want them. I want them... If anybody knowns something,
please post info. Do there exist Metafont sources for them ?

--
Luc Rooijakkers                                 Internet: lwj@cs.kun.nl
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science     UUCP: uunet!cs.kun.nl!lwj

resnik@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Philip Resnik) (02/23/90)

In article <1071@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl> lwj@cs.kun.nl (Luc Rooijakkers) writes:
>kgk@cs.brown.edu (Keiji Kanazawa) writes:
>
>>Does anybody have a font, or otherwise know a simple method, to get
>>what one might call the ``twin line left hand-side'' version of the
>>number class symbols, i.e., the ones that looks like

One easy trick you might consider: have it type N, then do a
half-backspace (\!), and then type a vertical bar.  I did something
similar in order to get doubled square-brackets; it was easiest to
define these as new commands

  \newcommand{\bb}{[\![}
  \newcommand{\ee}{]\!]}

and then use them as follows:

  $\bb bracketed-thing \ee$

I haven't tried this with N (or R) and vertical bar, but I suspect it
might come close to what you're looking for, or at least give you a
starting point for some experimentation.

  Philip

resnik@grad1.cis.upenn.edu
Computer and Information Science, Moore School of Engineering
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (dhosek) (02/24/90)

The "blackboard bold" characters are in the old and new AMS math fonts.
(get the new ones, if you can).

The AMS distributes PK files only (MF is available on request).

Participants in my Metafont course at Karlsruhe last fall made most
of a blackboard bold alphabet as an exercise last fall. I'm always
willing to organize another class.

-dh
--
Important note: The Anti-Social Committee will not be meeting this
                week.

kgk@cs.brown.edu (Keiji Kanazawa) (02/25/90)

In article <4614@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (dhosek) writes:

   The "blackboard bold" characters are in the old and new AMS math fonts.
   (get the new ones, if you can).

   The AMS distributes PK files only (MF is available on request).

I said I would summarize responses to my query.  Well, I can't say it
better.  An appropriate source for the AMS fonts is apparently TUG:

  TeX Users Group
  P.O.Box 9506
  Providence, RI 02940-9056 (USA)
  401-751-7760

As I mentioned, I also have about half a dozen hacks that people have
sent me for generating N, Z, and R, in particular.  If there is
sufficient interest, I will post these.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Keiji Kanazawa
kgk@cs.brown.edu

akf@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Jay Hinkelman) (02/27/90)

In article <20798@netnews.upenn.edu> resnik@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Philip Resnik) writes:

>In article <1071@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl> lwj@cs.kun.nl (Luc Rooijakkers) writes:
>>kgk@cs.brown.edu (Keiji Kanazawa) writes:
>>>Does anybody know a simple method, to get what one might call the
>>>``twin line left hand-side'' version of the number class symbols?
>One easy trick you might consider: have it type N, then do a
>half-backspace (\!), and then type a vertical bar...  -- Philip

This will work great for the reals (_R_), and the 'natural number'
(_N_), but no quite so well for the integers, which are represented by
a 'twin-line' Z (from the German Zahlungen, numbers ... right?)

--
				 Jay Hinkelman, akf@mentor.cc.purdue.edu
"Catch ya later, Bill and Ted!"	     -- Bill and Ted

jay@ctr.columbia.edu (Jay Hyman) (02/27/90)

In article <7882@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> akf@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Jay Hinkelman)
 writes:
| resnik@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Philip Resnik) writes:
|
| > lwj@cs.kun.nl (Luc Rooijakkers) writes:
| >One easy trick you might consider: have it type N, then do a
| >half-backspace (\!), and then type a vertical bar...  -- Philip
|
| This will work great for the reals (_R_), and the 'natural number'
| (_N_), but no quite so well for the integers, which are represented by
| a 'twin-line' Z (from the German Zahlungen, numbers ... right?)

of commands that was hacked up here at Columbia by Josep Ferrandiz
for his thesis, to create symbols for various number classes.
Using the Helvetica fonts, and shifting things around,
he has provided R, Z, and N.  (I'm not sure why the C symbols
are commented out, but they should provide at least a rough cut...)
I hope this stuff is not too site-dependent...

As to the AMS fonts, can someone tell me how to go about getting
them and what they cost, if anything?

Jay Hyman
Department of Electrical Engineering and
Center for Telecommunications Research
1220 Mudd Bldg.
Columbia University
New York, NY 10027

jay@ctr.columbia.edu

Anyway, here are the macros:

----------------- cut here ---------------------

%Real numbers, Complex numbers, ....

\font\sqi=cmssq8
\font\smallrm=cmr7
\font\regrm=cmr10
\font\sqismall=cmssq8 at 5.335pt
\font\helv=cmss12
\font\helvs=cmss9
\font\smallhelv=cmss8
\newcommand{\Real}{\mbox{\rm I\hspace{-.5em} R}}  % normalsize
\newcommand{\real}{{\mbox{\smallrm I\hspace{-.5em} R}}}   %scriptsize
\newcommand{\Integer}
	{{\mbox{$\!\mbox{{ \helv Z}}\hspace{-.4em}
                           \mbox{\helv Z}\,$}}}  %normalsize
\newcommand{\integer}
	{{\mbox{$\mbox{{ \smallhelv Z}}\hspace{-.65em}
                           \mbox{\smallhelv Z}\,$}}}  %scriptsize
\newcommand{\Nat}{\mbox{\rm I\hspace{-.45em} {\helv I}\hspace{-.6em} N}}
\newcommand{\nat}{{\mbox{\smallrm I\hspace{-.5em} I\hspace{-.6em} N}}}
\newcommand{\rev}{\raisebox{1.0ex}{$\scriptscriptstyle r$}\!\!}
%\newcommand{\Rev}{\raisebox{1.2ex}{$\scriptstyle r$}\!}
\newcommand{\Rev}{\raisebox{1.5ex}{$\scriptstyle r$}\!}

%\def\Complex{{\hbox{${\rm C}\!\hskip-.37em\raise.66pt\hbox{\sqi I}$}}\hskip .35em}
%\def\complex{{\hbox{$\hbox{{\smallrm C}}\!\hskip-.25em\raise.66pt
%                           \hbox{\sqismall I}$}}\hskip .35em}
%\def\Rational{{\hbox{${\rm Q}\!\hskip-.45em\raise.7pt\hbox{\sqi I}$}}\hskip .35em}
%\def\rational{{\hbox{$\hbox{{\smallrm Q}}\!\hskip-.30em\raise.7pt
%                             \hbox{\sqismall I}$}}\hskip .35em}

smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (J. Daniel Smith) (03/01/90)

In article <KGK.90Feb21175919@aruba.cs.brown.edu> kgk@cs.brown.edu (Keiji Kanazawa) writes:

>Does anybody have a font, or otherwise know a simple method, to get
>what one might call the ``twin line left hand-side'' version of the
>number class symbols, i.e., the ones that looks like
Robert Messer had an article in the TUGboat (Vol. 9 No. 1, April 1988)
about doing this.  He placed vertical rules at certain places on the
various letters to get the desired effects.

BTW, the TeX Users Group has lots of good information about TeX.  The cost
to join is only $35 (a mere $25 for students).  The membership fee
includes a subscription to the TUGboat---an invaluable resource for
TeX users.  So, to use the words of Knuth "Don't delay, write today!"
(pg. 483 of the TeXbook).

   TeX Users Group
   P.O. Box 9506
   Providence, RI   02940
   (401) 751-7760
   TUG@math.ams.com (Internet)

Hope that helps,
   Dan
J. Daniel Smith                      Internet: smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu
Michigan State University              BITNET: smithdan@msuegr
East Lansing, Michigan                 Usenet: uunet!frith!smithda

An average English word is four letters and a half.  By hard, honest
labor I've dug all the large words out of my vocabulary and shaved it
down till the average is three and a half...
                           - Mark Twain