[comp.text.tex] Concrete Mathematics fonts

tim@cstr.ed.ac.uk (Tim Bradshaw) (02/27/90)

I have recently been looking at Knuth's `Concrete Mathematics', which
is set with TeX and fonts I believe are a a variation of the `CM
metafont', and are anyway very attractive.  What is the availability
of these fonts?  Are they on recent TeX tapes, or is the mf source
available?

Thanks

--tim
Tim Bradshaw.  ARPA: tim%ed.cstr@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
UUCP: ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!cstr!tim  JANET: tim@uk.ac.ed.cstr
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (dhosek) (02/27/90)

In article <TIM.90Feb26211431@watt.cstr.ed.ac.uk> tim@cstr.ed.ac.uk (Tim Bradshaw) writes:
>I have recently been looking at Knuth's `Concrete Mathematics', which
>is set with TeX and fonts I believe are a a variation of the `CM
>metafont', and are anyway very attractive.  What is the availability
>of these fonts?  Are they on recent TeX tapes, or is the mf source
>available?

Users with FTP capabilities can obtain them from ymir.claremont.edu in
[anonymous.tex.mf.concrete]. They are also available from Jon Radel:

Radel
 Contact: Jon Radel
 Postal Address: P.O. Box 2276
                 Reston, VA 22090
 Notes: Software is distributed on 5.25" 360K floppy disks. For floppies
        sent with a return mailer, there is a charge of $1.50/floppy
        U.S. orders, $2/floppy elsewhere. For orders where floppies
        are supplied by Jon Radel, there is a charge of $5/floppy
        for U.S., Mexican and Canadian orders, $6/floppy elsewhere.

Since the original poster is from the UK, I suggest that he try to
obtain the files from the Aston archive on Janet (FTP from uk.ac.aston.tex).

-dh
--
Important note: The Anti-Social Committee will not be meeting this
                week.

weening@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Joe Weening) (02/27/90)

The MF source code for the Concrete Math fonts is available for
anonymous FTP on labrea.stanford.edu, in the directory
pub/tex/local/cm.  The Euler fonts (used for formulas) may be
available from the AMS.
--
Joe Weening                                Computer Science Dept.
weening@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU          Stanford University

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (02/28/90)

In article <TIM.90Feb26211431@watt.cstr.ed.ac.uk>, tim@cstr (Tim Bradshaw) writes:
 `I have recently been looking at Knuth's `Concrete Mathematics', which
 `is set with TeX and fonts I believe are a a variation of the `CM
 `metafont', and are anyway very attractive.  What is the availability
 `of these fonts?  Are they on recent TeX tapes, or is the mf source
 `available?
 `
They are available from the clarkson archive. Directory tex-fonts, the
filenames are:

ccr5.mf                 The fonts and macros for Concreate Mathematics
ccr6.mf
ccr7.mf
ccr8.mf
ccr9.mf
ccr10.mf
cccsc10.mf
ccmi10.mf
ccsl10.mf
ccti10.mf
ccslc9.mf
gkpmac.tex
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.

housel@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Peter S. Housel) (03/01/90)

In article <TIM.90Feb26211431@watt.cstr.ed.ac.uk>, tim@cstr (Tim Bradshaw) writes:
>I have recently been looking at Knuth's `Concrete Mathematics', which
>is set with TeX and fonts I believe are a a variation of the `CM
>metafont', and are anyway very attractive.  What is the availability
>of these fonts?  Are they on recent TeX tapes, or is the mf source
>available?

I haven't seen anybody mention that the metafont source for the
Concrete fonts is available in the tex82/MFcontrib/metafonts/concrete
directory of the UnixTeX distribution.

Another thing... I'm certainly no typesetting expert, but the Concrete
fonts seem (to me) to look just a little bit too heavy to exactly
match with the Euler mathematics fonts. (Other than that, I agree that
they are attractive.) Comments, anyone?

Another thing, just out of curiousity... has anybody actually read
this book without having it as a class text? (It's great stuff, but a
real bear to get through, even with the marginal notes :-)

-Peter S. Housel-	housel@ecn.purdue.edu		...!pur-ee!housel

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (dhosek) (03/02/90)

In article <19736@ea.ecn.purdue.edu> housel@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Peter S. Housel) writes:

>Another thing... I'm certainly no typesetting expert, but the Concrete
>fonts seem (to me) to look just a little bit too heavy to exactly
>match with the Euler mathematics fonts. (Other than that, I agree that
>they are attractive.) Comments, anyone?

Well, since DEK had help from a designer at Addison-Wesley as well as
suggestions from Hermann Zapf (who designed Euler), I'd say that chances
are pretty good that it was done "right". The samples I saw (in TUGboat)
looked fine to me.

-dh